Getting "called-out" for not wearing the Beats
Sep 17, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #2,071 of 5,506

Quote:
If someone is willing to listen to an explanation of why the Beats get ripped apart in comparison to other cans around that price-range (as well as cans that are 200$ less), then I would gladly share that info with them. However, the people that tend to buy into the Monster marketing scams don't really listen to reason 
frown.gif
. You must admit that the Turbine line of products are at least "decent" if not very good (MTPG & MTPC) 
wink_face.gif

I haven't tried the Turbine line but I had a pair of Jamz and they were not worth their money.  My Shure SE210s killed them....

Sep 18, 2011 at 3:04 AM Post #2,072 of 5,506
So i'm looking for the $10 Coby cans. I've never heard the beats but just going by the rating i started wondering tongue-in-cheek if these $10 phones could come close to them and then look what i found in the reviews.......

Nval- " In my opinion, better than the Beats By Dr. Dre Solo headphones."
KG-"but the quality of the phones is as good as Beats by Dre."
biggrin.gif
Not expert reviewers i'm sure but still....

Now i'm playing out this scenario in my head, "Yo man nice Coby headphones" "lol, they're probably as good as your Beats man" "Yah right let's swap" "Ok" "How much did you pay for these!?" Then they look at me funny and just walk away.

Sep 18, 2011 at 3:49 AM Post #2,073 of 5,506
While we're on the topic of Monster General, they make some nice power bars.

Sep 18, 2011 at 5:34 AM Post #2,074 of 5,506

Quote:
While we're on the topic of Monster General, they make some nice power bars.

I'd completely forgotten I had a couple of Monster power bars. I use one as my main power bar for my laptop with a external HDD and a printer plugged in. I have the second on the family computer with 2 external HDD's and a router plugged into it. I must have had both these power bars for around 5 years now they seem to do their job quite well.

Sep 18, 2011 at 10:17 AM Post #2,076 of 5,506

Quote:
The Souls are real, they're endorsed by Ludacris. They're not fake Beats, although they try obviously to take away some of its audience.
Ironically, I think one user who bought a pair of fake Beats said he liked them better than the real ones.

I work at the same store, they sound better then Beats but the build looks the same to me. To me both Beats and Souls are gimmicky and comparing with products of equal value, they are not worth the money. 

Sep 18, 2011 at 10:47 AM Post #2,077 of 5,506
I got to the point where I only use conditioners or battery back ups. I've found that even a reasonably priced Furman outdoes any 'power strip' I've used over the years. 

I have one of these. This is my cheapest power product I own now and the one I've had the longest. It's saved me a few times, and if it's just a fluctuation/surge it's even kept my equipment on. Great product. 

(This post was in no way to knock Monster power bars. Never used one so I don't have an opinion on them)

Quote:
I'd completely forgotten I had a couple of Monster power bars. I use one as my main power bar for my laptop with a external HDD and a printer plugged in. I have the second on the family computer with 2 external HDD's and a router plugged into it. I must have had both these power bars for around 5 years now they seem to do their job quite well.

Sep 18, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #2,078 of 5,506

Quote:

MFW I have been using the same off brand power bar for 11 years and every plug has been occupied the entire time, and it was only about $5.

Sep 19, 2011 at 11:34 AM Post #2,079 of 5,506

Quote:
Soul is a ludacris endorsed headphone. Its made by a company called signeo. Although it does make me wonder why rappers don't go with Ultrasone when it comes to endorsing headphones. 
confused.gif

Soul headphones? I've never heard of them for some reason. Maybe it's probably the same reason I didn't even know what the beats were until someone told me...

Sep 21, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #2,081 of 5,506
Before I say anything, I did consider buying a Beats by Dre headphone before joining this community in February. At the time I didn't know much about them other than they were really popular and sounded amazing.

So today I tried out a pair of the Beats Solos in an Apple store today while waiting for my brother to do his business at the Genius Bar...I'm not really seeing how the 'average consumer' can find the Beats pleasing to listen through.

iPod Touch -> Safari -> Dropbox.com -> some of my 'modern, average consumer pop' songs at 320kbps (Kelly Clarkson, Katy Perry, Maroon 5, Lady Gaga) -> Beats Solos    they sounded sooo muddy; bass was bloated, mids were forward but seemed over shadowed by the bass (is this bass bleed or recessed mids?), treble was practically non-existant compared to the other sounds

I did the same set-up for their Studios, Bose QuietComfort, and a Klipsch headphones. The Studio's active noise cancelling really can't compare to that of the Bose headphones. In fact, I had my Shure SRH940's with me at the time and with their noise isolation, it was nearly equal to that of the Studios in my observation...which was kind of sad and disappointing to be honest. I had always thought active-noise-cancelling was better than the noise isolation offered by closed-velour pads.

At home, I did the same test with my $100 USD retail price HD238's (except my iPod Touch is the 2nd gen instead of the 4th gen). Their bass quantity was just a hair short of the Solos' but it seemed much cleaner and more defined, mids are still muffled by the bass but are clearer than that of the Solos, and the highs were much more present than the Solos'. Vocals sounded more intimate and clearer than the solos, but that might be because of the HD238's open-back design versus the Solos' closed-back.

Sorry, I just wanted to put my observations up there.

Sep 22, 2011 at 12:12 AM Post #2,082 of 5,506

Quote:
Monster should make some full size audiophile-quality headphones with the help of those guys who worked on the Turbines(G/C) and the Miles Davis Tributes...

Too late, AKG already did that with their Quincy Jones lineup. Beats have vanished over here...Seems people over here are too dense in the first place to accept Beats as good headphones; everyone just uses iBuds. Nice looking DJ cans will grab some glances of curiosity though.

And whenever I test out Beats, I just plug them straight into my phone. Since .flac works on it, it's probably cheaper at this point to use it over a dedicated .flac player.

Sep 22, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #2,083 of 5,506
You know... I'm actually starting to buy into the theory that Beats hype is bleeding into the world and getting people interested in good audio...

A year ago I rarely saw any really good headphones on the street. The best I usually saw were low grade Sony's (usually NC7) and Sennheiser HD202 (or similarly priced models). In the past 3 weeks I have seen a whole slew of headphones From AKGs to ATs (usually ATH-AD700, though there is the occasional M50), Denons, UE and Ety IEMs and better Senns.

I can't say for sure if its due to the Beats making people aware, but the only thing that has changed since a year ago is the Beats invasion. 

It seems that Beats owners are in the age range of 13-21... Where as the adult consumers do their research and end up with well regarded headphones. 

Sep 22, 2011 at 2:27 AM Post #2,084 of 5,506

Quote:
You know... I'm actually starting to buy into the theory that Beats hype is bleeding into the world and getting people interested in good audio...

A year ago I rarely saw any really good headphones on the street. The best I usually saw were low grade Sony's (usually NC7) and Sennheiser HD202 (or similarly priced models). In the past 3 weeks I have seen a whole slew of headphones From AKGs to ATs (usually ATH-AD700, though there is the occasional M50), Denons, UE and Ety IEMs and better Senns.

I can't say for sure if its due to the Beats making people aware, but the only thing that has changed since a year ago is the Beats invasion. 

It seems that Beats owners are in the age range of 13-21... Where as the adult consumers do their research and end up with well regarded headphones. 

Stands true for me. I was originally going to buy beats solos for $130 but did a bit of research as $130 seemed like a lot of money to me. Found some Shure SRH750DJ headphones with a 4.8/5 rating and took the plunge. I did research as the beats had a 3.4/5 rating. Read some of the reviews and everyone was complaining about snapped headbands. I said not wasting my money there and did more research. The Shures had outstanding reviews and my only reason i got rid of them was because they had to much bass for me.

Sep 22, 2011 at 2:31 AM Post #2,085 of 5,506
Quote:

A lot of people at my college campus still wear the Beats. I guess it's the whole fashion thing that makes them attractive to buy.

On the other hand, I did see a few people wearing M50's last year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back