Getting "called-out" for not wearing the Beats
Sep 17, 2011 at 5:28 AM Post #2,056 of 5,506

Quote:

Monster has been known to rip off their consumers in such an absurd manner. Saw an HDMI Cable one time from them in best buy  and I remember it costing up to 60 bucks. While I saw an HDMI Cable from Insignia. That was around $20. Yeah, do the math.

That aside, anyone have any thoughts about this:

Supposed features that were listed on Monster's website: 

Monster LED Light Drive System -Energy Efficient Illumination that can be powered for over 10hrs on one battery
Extra-large 40mm over-ear drivers deliver deep, immersive bass and thunderous low-end effects
New advanced noise-isolation earcup design blocks external sound to keep you submerged in the game or movie
Ear cups designed for maximum long term comfort
Included Monster Control Talk with Vol Up/Down and Play/pause/ Call for Apple iOS

http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=6001

Price? $349. 

My thoughts........ they look tacky like something out of a 3rd rate sci-fi B movie
blink.gif

Sep 17, 2011 at 6:33 AM Post #2,057 of 5,506
Glad to see this thread coming back to life 
atsmile.gif
 Just went to the mall with a few friends. Saw three kids, a bit younger than me, two of them wearing the solos. Seems like the beats are every where nowadays. Do you guys think I should make a troll statues on facebook asking about whether I should return my Ultrasones and get the beats solos ? I'm a bit high on sugar right now so I'm not thinking straight but that statues would be pretty funny right ? 

Sep 17, 2011 at 11:05 AM Post #2,059 of 5,506
They cost cents to make. BB employees could buy that $170 cable for about 7 - 8 dollars because of the way their discount works. It's mark up for mark ups sake.

All my HDMI cables are 10' long and cost me $6. Amazon is amazing.

Quote:
Quote:
Monster has been known to rip off their consumers in such an absurd manner. Saw an HDMI Cable one time from them in best buy  and I remember it costing up to 60 bucks. While I saw an HDMI Cable from Insignia. That was around $20. Yeah, do the math.

I got a 25' high speed HDMI cable from monoprice for $23. BB was selling a similar Monster Cable for $170.

Sep 17, 2011 at 11:41 AM Post #2,060 of 5,506
Haha over here in my woods there has even been a "pirated" version called Soul. Everyone seems to wearing one these days with a couple of people from my sister class wearing them. Also, there has been many of these group buys for fake Beats solo(which are probably the only things worse than Beats already) and now it seems a gazillion students in my institution wear them. At least my class is clean cus I have been telling them to audition the stuff they buy.

Sep 17, 2011 at 12:24 PM Post #2,062 of 5,506

Quote:
Soul is a ludacris endorsed headphone. Its made by a company called signeo. Although it does make me wonder why rappers don't go with Ultrasone when it comes to endorsing headphones. 
confused.gif

Apparently the Souls aren't quite as bad as Beats, they don't overemphasize bass, or so it appears right now. I might actually have to check those out if they're like that. Might try to get some Beats fans aboard the Soul bandwagon.

Sep 17, 2011 at 1:03 PM Post #2,063 of 5,506

Quote:
Haha over here in my woods there has even been a "pirated" version called Soul. Everyone seems to wearing one these days with a couple of people from my sister class wearing them. Also, there has been many of these group buys for fake Beats solo(which are probably the only things worse than Beats already) and now it seems a gazillion students in my institution wear them. At least my class is clean cus I have been telling them to audition the stuff they buy.

The Souls are real, they're endorsed by Ludacris. They're not fake Beats, although they try obviously to take away some of its audience.
Ironically, I think one user who bought a pair of fake Beats said he liked them better than the real ones.

Sep 17, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #2,065 of 5,506
Tyll reviewed the Soul headphones on www.innerfidelity.com

Sep 17, 2011 at 4:14 PM Post #2,066 of 5,506

Quote:
Soul is a ludacris endorsed headphone. Its made by a company called signeo. Although it does make me wonder why rappers don't go with Ultrasone when it comes to endorsing headphones. 
confused.gif

For the average consumer, who has heard of Ultrasone before? People all over the place know and recognize Monster of course because of their Beats line of headphones...once again it all comes down to marketing to the common consumer.

Sep 17, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #2,067 of 5,506
> For the average consumer, who has heard of Ultrasone before? People all over the place know and recognize Monster of course because of their Beats line of headphones...once again it all comes down to marketing to the common consumer.

I've never heard of signeo. And you're right that I never would have heard of Monster (other than the energy drink) if it wasn't for Beats - and their celebrity endorsement.

But what he's saying is, why don't the rappers work with a company like Ultrasone that produce actually good headphones?

I suspect it's because due to these celebrities getting a royalty, anyone making these "celebrity" headphones has to sell them for considerably more than they're worth. If Ultrasone did this, they'd make an overpriced headphone, necessarily - and as a result their headphone wouldn't be "good" for the price any more. Also, isn't Ultrasone a german company? I don't know of many ultra popular german rappers.

Sep 17, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #2,069 of 5,506

Quote:
They cost cents to make. BB employees could buy that $170 cable for about 7 - 8 dollars because of the way their discount works. It's mark up for mark ups sake.

All my HDMI cables are 10' long and cost me $6. Amazon is amazing.

Same just i get a discount on them at my families dollar store. So i get them for $6.50, usually $8.

On the topic of getting called out. I was riding the city bus the other day when some guy with beats tours sat next to me. He didn't actually say anything but he kept looking at me and the expression on his face looked as though he was thinking i was an idiot for buying Shure SRH840s.

On that same bus ride their was 2 pairs of beats. The guy with beats tours and a metal head with an iron maiden shirt wearing beats solos bobbing his head. There was at most 10 people on the bus. I still don't know why a metal head would buy beats.
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back