Getting "called-out" for not wearing the Beats
Jul 1, 2011 at 4:00 AM Post #901 of 5,506
The M50 has what I call a "Swiss Army Knife" sound signature and overall versatility when it comes to developing those picky ears an/or introduing yourself to a community like this. In my experience, they respond to amping well if you want to compare, they are easily driven by portable players/onboard, they are detailed enough to point out flaws in lower bitrate mp3s when compared, it has the widely loved swivel and collapsible features, and has a few mods to it. So IMO that's why they are recommended to newcomers by veterans; it appeals to them because of all those features, and those newcomers are, well, new. They don't know their sound preference, they just hear this new, fun, great sound quality (seeing as they are likely upgrading from Skulls, iBuds, Logitechs or in my case the 201s) and they think they've found perfect cans. Thus the spread of "noobs to noobs."

Now, if you're already a veteran, somewhat, then chances are you know your sound preference. So why expect to be impressed when your preference might not match the FOTM's? Usually the FOTM is a headphone recommended to newcomers or people who are open to new signatures, especially the M50 for being neutral with that beloved tight kick.

As for me, I've tried my fair share of headphones, and honestly, I found that I don't like laid back sound. I enjoy sparkles to an extent, and a very forward mid range accompanied by immersive lows. The M50 although neutral, satisfies me more than any else, although I'm hoping I'll like my upcoming Ultrasone even more. Conclusion? The same conclusion it always comes down to: It's all preference and experience.

Jul 1, 2011 at 7:55 AM Post #902 of 5,506

Quote:
The M50 has what I call a "Swiss Army Knife" sound signature and overall versatility when it comes to developing those picky ears an/or introduing yourself to a community like this. In my experience, they respond to amping well if you want to compare, they are easily driven by portable players/onboard, they are detailed enough to point out flaws in lower bitrate mp3s when compared, it has the widely loved swivel and collapsible features, and has a few mods to it. So IMO that's why they are recommended to newcomers by veterans; it appeals to them because of all those features, and those newcomers are, well, new. They don't know their sound preference, they just hear this new, fun, great sound quality (seeing as they are likely upgrading from Skulls, iBuds, Logitechs or in my case the 201s) and they think they've found perfect cans. Thus the spread of "noobs to noobs."

Now, if you're already a veteran, somewhat, then chances are you know your sound preference. So why expect to be impressed when your preference might not match the FOTM's? Usually the FOTM is a headphone recommended to newcomers or people who are open to new signatures, especially the M50 for being neutral with that beloved tight kick.

As for me, I've tried my fair share of headphones, and honestly, I found that I don't like laid back sound. I enjoy sparkles to an extent, and a very forward mid range accompanied by immersive lows. The M50 although neutral, satisfies me more than any else, although I'm hoping I'll like my upcoming Ultrasone even more. Conclusion? The same conclusion it always comes down to: It's all preference and experience.

Agreed. Word of advice, since you're upgrading to Ultrasones from the M50 I suggest you prepare yourself for the infamouse pre-burn in Ultrasone treble. Really hurts, for me at least.

After burn-in though, enjoy the music :D

Jul 3, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #903 of 5,506
It's true they certainly get trashed very heavily on this forum, probably more than they should.

But I'd like to point out that it's the opposite in real life (in my experience). The Beat owners seem to be the arrogant, ignorant, and outspoken individuals that have to trash other people's choices in headphones. I'm guessing to help justify their own purchase. NO, they are not ALL like that, but look at the thread title, "called out for not wearing beats." I've never gone up to someone and put them down because I prefer to use Sennheiser products. But I've sure as hell seen people put down others because they're not using Beats, etc. It's depressing to watch it happen. It's even more depressing when those same people are so happy to give out their own opinions, but refuse to accept others.

If you like the Beats because of how they sound, more power to you. I personally tried them out at a demo at best buy (awful place to try them unfortunately) and I didn't like them too much. My $.03

Jul 3, 2011 at 12:44 AM Post #904 of 5,506
i think im too old (31) to be called out by someone for wearing beats. Sounds like it happens between teenagers or younger.  Im 6'1' 200, if someone walks up on me and says some crap about what i am wearing whether it be headphones, shirt, a pink tutu, ill beat the ****ing crap out of them.  Bottom line , this is some younger people thing, that i think most older people will agree, will fade away.  If its bothering you, be creative and get them on tape and post it on the website cause i am bord and need a laugh. 

peace!

Jul 4, 2011 at 7:21 AM Post #906 of 5,506

Quote:
i think im too old (31) to be called out by someone for wearing beats. Sounds like it happens between teenagers or younger.  Im 6'1' 200, if someone walks up on me and says some crap about what i am wearing whether it be headphones, shirt, a pink tutu, ill beat the ****ing crap out of them.  Bottom line , this is some younger people thing, that i think most older people will agree, will fade away.  If its bothering you, be creative and get them on tape and post it on the website cause i am bord and need a laugh. 

peace!

right......

Jul 4, 2011 at 7:35 AM Post #907 of 5,506

Quote:

peace!

Please go troll somewhere else.
If you're actually serious that is one of the saddest things I have ever read on the internet.

Jul 5, 2011 at 5:46 AM Post #908 of 5,506
Found this little jem in amazon reviews, someone with sense!

DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY....NOT FOR AUDIOPHILES. A star is too high of a rating for this product. Lucky me mines did not snap in half yet, but I am ready none the less. The sound quality is at best average, sounds horrible on an ipod nano. My purchase came with a distorted earphone. I cant wait to send these cheap banana hair bands back to monster cable. They need to stick to cable! The sound quailty is a little better with a zune hd or sony x series dedicated MP3 players. But not worth the cost of these urban Air Jordan headgear accessories. Brand new out of the box they were not fully put together. Which led me to believe their is no quality assurance. I got sucked in without doing my research, you would think with this kind of cost quality would be wihtout question: buddy I had a lot of questions here. This is one product that have too many negative reviews please be advised. If you do buy hold on to your receipt and warranty slip! This product is not worthy of an endorsement and shame on the bum who would put their name on this.

The replies... 
confused_face(1).gif

you do realize...that the solo HD are basically unbreakable, and the sound quality is much improved...which leads me to the only conclusion...that you have no earthly idea what you are talking about and therefore, your review is a fallacy filled waste of time.

I'm sorry, but audiophiles do not own an ipod (nano) - you can't expect to get great quality out of such a unit.

I have the solo HD with my HP Envy 14 beat and nothing comes close to that sound quality, nothing. I've also used them on my receiver and the sound is stunning!

sticking this headphones in a nano does not give them justice.

It sickens me, they wont learn...

Jul 5, 2011 at 9:19 AM Post #910 of 5,506

Quote:

DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY....NOT FOR AUDIOPHILES. A star is too high of a rating for this product. Lucky me mines did not snap in half yet, but I am ready none the less. The sound quality is at best average, sounds horrible on an ipod nano. My purchase came with a distorted earphone. I cant wait to send these cheap banana hair bands back to monster cable. They need to stick to cable! The sound quailty is a little better with a zune hd or sony x series dedicated MP3 players. But not worth the cost of these urban Air Jordan headgear accessories. Brand new out of the box they were not fully put together. Which led me to believe their is no quality assurance. I got sucked in without doing my research, you would think with this kind of cost quality would be wihtout question: buddy I had a lot of questions here. This is one product that have too many negative reviews please be advised. If you do buy hold on to your receipt and warranty slip! This product is not worthy of an endorsement and shame on the bum who would put their name on this.

The replies... 
confused_face(1).gif

you do realize...that the solo HD are basically unbreakable, and the sound quality is much improved...which leads me to the only conclusion...that you have no earthly idea what you are talking about and therefore, your review is a fallacy filled waste of time.

I'm sorry, but audiophiles do not own an ipod (nano) - you can't expect to get great quality out of such a unit.

I have the solo HD with my HP Envy 14 beat and nothing comes close to that sound quality, nothing. I've also used them on my receiver and the sound is stunning!

#1 is half right, they did actually improve sound, $220 worth? HA not really. And I'd like to certainly challenge the whole "unbreakable" claim. Let's get that person together with me and see whose supraaural headphones are more durable. We shall squeeze and stretch each of our respective headphones as far as we can and then throw them on a very lightly padded ground (I don't want to scratch my headphones, otherwise I'm not afraid of breakage) and see whose headphones survive. I have a strange feeling, the Solo HDs won't make it past the first test.

#2 Where do I begin... I suppose with "audiophiles don't own nanos." I wonder where he got his "audiophile handbook" from, because I certainly got the wrong copy... oh wait... there is none! And it is funny since you know... how would you know? Monster doesn't tell you any technical specifications of the headphones. According to Head Room, its 45ohm, which means that the iPod nano should be able to drive them just fine. And, though I have not listened to a newer nano, the nano I have seems to have pretty decent audio quality after I rockboxed it. And really? An HP Envy 14 Beat? Really? Well to me that automatically invalidates his opinion, since he is clearly a victim of Beats marketing. Instead of having a computer with a decent sound card like a Soundblaster or Omega he chose one with Beats. You know the company who just STARTED making audio equipment 3 years ago. Personally I'd rather trust a company who has been making Audio Enhancing parts for computers for 30 years (Creative) than high priced cables for 30 years (Monster). 

#3 Again, how do they know? If it hadn't been for Head Room I would never have known the impedance. And considering that they are still only 45ohm, the nano should drive them just fine. And they should sound pretty decent through it as a source. Could it sound better from something else? Maybe. Could it do better with an EQ? I wouldn't doubt it. Will it scale up well? I highly doubt it. Next time I have the chance I'll test that out with my J3 and my rockboxed Nano. 

Jul 5, 2011 at 10:12 AM Post #911 of 5,506

Quote:

The replies... 
confused_face(1).gif

First...on the whole "being called out" thing? I would like to be somewhere someone calls me out for wearing a pair of headphones that retail for $300 plus...no matter if they were the Dre's or not. I work in an office with 200 people and not one NOT ONE (and most listen to music in here) own a pair of headphones/buds that retail for more than $50. One guy owns a pair of Klipsch S4's. I won't even discuss the 128mps encoding and lousing music players they use. You know what that gets me? Scolded, scorned and downright "called out" because I  spent more than $50 on headphones. People thought I was odd when the TripleFi's showed up....pretty weird when the M50's showed up....downright crazy when each of those started getting hooked up to an amp.

Now...as to that (and other) Amazon reviews I've read....the guy is right. The Dre's are not for audiophiles-and at whatever point I might own a pair, I will keep that in mind. BUT....they ARE better than what 90% of the 200 people in my office are walking around with and they likely would hide the artifacts from their crappy digital music files which means that the suppossed mission of the Beats (to introduce higher quality listening to the masses) would benefit them. At $300+? No...no..no...no. At $100? One other thing to keep in mind? Some claim the sound of fake Beats and real ones are the same-I don't buy that. There are fakes being sold all over Amazon by third parties, all over eBay and even in Best Buy (likely bait and switch returns-there's a YouTube video where the guy walks into Best Buy, pull the Beats off the shelf, pays, opens in the store and points out several telltale clues that they are fake (and the fakers have gotten good....its REALLY hard to tell visually) and I have to think the quaility IS worse if not sonically, certainly when it comes to hardware (cheaper plastics etc).

All that aside, I wanted to share an experience I just had last night. I'm sitting in the middle of my town's high school football stadium waiting for fireworks. Its noisy....REALLY noisy...music blaring, people laughing, kids crying. I think to myself how nice it would be to have my M50's with me except the things are quite bulky around the neck or to be toting the 2+ mile round trip from where I parked, plus they look pretty big in public. First thing that popped into my head? The Beats. Lighter, smaller, more stylish, the sound leakage they have a non issue in such an setting-they would have been the PERFECT thing to have. My point? If you have the money or if you get a good deal on a pair, they might be worth owning as a special use unit. They don't need to be amped, they are more compact, they don't look incredibly goofy on you or your neck. Perfect for festivals, walk around the town, etc etc etc where you might want to listen to your music and the most ultra audiophile like sound isn't needed all without the hassle of amps, yanking IEM's in and out of you ears etc.

But that's just  me.

Jul 5, 2011 at 12:09 PM Post #912 of 5,506
My story. I carry my hd25 1-ii into the office I work at by hand because I lost my case. A girl who knows nothing about music other than she thinks she's a "up and coming singer" and her boyfriend thinks he's an "up and coming hip hop producer" asked me why I didn't buy beats..I told her I did about a year ago but took them back after 2 days because I don't wanna hear bass so overwhelming that I can't even hear vocals. She told me I messed up and should have stuck with them because quote "it's all about the beats." another guy asked me if my srh940 can compete with beats and I let him hear them and the look on his face just screamed "WOW!!"

people at work give me a much harder time for owning a motorola xoom instead of an iPad.

Jul 5, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #913 of 5,506

Quote:
My story. I carry my hd25 1-ii into the office I work at by hand because I lost my case. A girl who knows nothing about music other than she thinks she's a "up and coming singer" and her boyfriend thinks he's an "up and coming hip hop producer" asked me why I didn't buy beats..I told her I did about a year ago but took them back after 2 days because I don't wanna hear bass so overwhelming that I can't even hear vocals. She told me I messed up and should have stuck with them because quote "it's all about the beats." another guy asked me if my srh940 can compete with beats and I let him hear them and the look on his face just screamed "WOW!!"

people at work give me a much harder time for owning a motorola xoom instead of an iPad.

Oh God, people are just as thick-skulled with Apple stuff as they are with Beats. There's a reason the two are sold in the same store... Props to you for buying the better products, and not just with headphones. Android is the bomb, open-source is the way to go. Anything Android can be customized to the bone. I suppose some people are warranted for having Beats or Apple though, such as having good noise isolation or an easy to use (and utterly bleak
tongue.gif
) interface to use.

Jul 5, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #914 of 5,506

Quote:

THAT is EXACTLY what is wrong with music today. I'm 31 and sick of this B.S. To each their own but guess what? Its all about the synthetic beats? Whatever. Synthetic beats, auto tune vocals, vocoders....who the hell needs good headphones for that...its not like there IS a big soundstage or depth to the music.

Jul 5, 2011 at 1:36 PM Post #915 of 5,506
I was at a store the other day and this kid and his dad are walking by the headphones section. The boy looks about 13, picks up the Beats Solos off the display and proclaims: "oh wow, these are the best headphones ever!". I ask him "have you tried them before?" to which the kid gives me a really confused look for a few seconds before slowly saying "... no?"

I just looked at the dad and shrugged. He asked me "are they any good?", I replied by handing him a Senn PX200 and said "half the price, twice as good, but they're not shiny and don't have a rapper endorsing them so he won't like 'em".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back