Getting "called-out" for not wearing the Beats
Jun 28, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #856 of 5,506

Quote:
Oh ye the Nightwish~, there new vocal isn't that bad lol

nah but they are definitely more poppy now. im listening to old nightwish right now actually.

Jun 28, 2011 at 7:48 PM Post #857 of 5,506
Contributing to the offtopic-ness of this thread but isn't slipknot considered more gothic industrial kind of metal? I suppose that may encompass nu-metal...

Don't get me wrong, they're terrible.

Jun 28, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #858 of 5,506

Quote:
Contributing to the offtopic-ness of this thread but isn't slipknot considered more gothic industrial kind of metal? I suppose that may encompass nu-metal...

Don't get me wrong, they're terrible.

when i hear slipknot all i hear is a bunch of people who know absolutely nothing about music. their music just sounds like noise to me.

also they have a turntable so they are definitely nu metal.

Jun 28, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #859 of 5,506
Their debut album was awesome. Saw them in concert right after it came out, twice. One was outdoors, one of the best shows I've seen/heard (in comparison Pantera played the same night which was also one of the best performances I've attended (second time I saw them)). Of course this was 10 years ago, I haven't heard any of their music post-Iowa, it may indeed suck.

Jun 28, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #860 of 5,506
Pfffft, who cares if it's OT? I rather like discussing music :)

So I have a question for everyone: what albums would you consider the best you have ever heard? Mine would be: Devin Townsend's "Addicted" & "Accelerated Evolution," Arsis' "A Diamond for Disease" & "We are the Nightmare" and finally Equillibrium's "Sagas." That is only in the Metal genre; don't even get me started with the others :wink:

Jun 28, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #862 of 5,506

Quote:
Pfffft, who cares if it's OT? I rather like discussing music
smily_headphones1.gif

So I have a question for everyone: what albums would you consider the best you have ever heard? Mine would be: Devin Townsend's "Addicted" & "Accelerated Evolution," Arsis' "A Diamond for Disease" & "We are the Nightmare" and finally Equillibrium's "Sagas." That is only in the Metal genre; don't even get me started with the others
wink.gif

opeth's blackwater park
wintersun's debut
tool's lateralus
devin townsend's synchrestia

Jun 28, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #863 of 5,506
Jun 28, 2011 at 11:56 PM Post #864 of 5,506

Quote:
Blind Guardian is one of my favorite bands. It's really a shame their earlier CDs are to poorly recorded, with the exception being "Nightfall in Middle-Earth"...

Eh, Slipknot you say? Yeah, don't like them...

God I love that CD.

Jun 29, 2011 at 5:05 AM Post #865 of 5,506

Quote:
Pfffft, who cares if it's OT? I rather like discussing music
smily_headphones1.gif

So I have a question for everyone: what albums would you consider the best you have ever heard? Mine would be: Devin Townsend's "Addicted" & "Accelerated Evolution," Arsis' "A Diamond for Disease" & "We are the Nightmare" and finally Equillibrium's "Sagas." That is only in the Metal genre; don't even get me started with the others
wink.gif

Lemme see here

Opeth - Orchid
Kataklysm - Prevail
Kataklysm- In The Arms Of Devastation
Symbyosis - On The Wings Of Pheonix
In Vain - The Latter Rain
Katatonia - The Great Cold Distance (love that album to death)
etysmile.gif

Iced earth- Framing Armageddon (Something Wicked Part 1)
WASP- Dominator
WASP- The Headless children
The Absence - Riders Of The Plague
Callenish Circle - Pitch Black Effect
Qou Vadis - Defiant Imagination
Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time (my second most fav album of all time)
L3000.gif

Iron Maiden Powerslave (My most fav album of all time)
dt880smile.png

P.S.
To my ears Slipknot mixes elements of various metal genres, many Nu Metal bands do. Nu Metal is a wide open genre with a crazy mix of odd ball bands with different influences. I like the odd artist or odd song from that genre but I'm not a huge fan in general. It's just not my cup of tea.  Since were throwing out great sounding metal albums anyone else have any recommendations?

Jun 29, 2011 at 10:41 AM Post #868 of 5,506

You know, when you mentioned Mogwai, I was going to comment I never saw the 'rock' in 'post-rock', they seem to me like completely different genres (my previous experiences were mainly GY!BE albums). Luckily, I decided to hear the album you just mentioned and, wow, I'm impressed. First post-rock album I truly enjoy.
Quote:
I don't know if any of you guys have heard of them however, I think that Mogwai's "Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will" is one of the best rock or more specifically post-rock album.
:))

Jun 29, 2011 at 1:21 PM Post #869 of 5,506

Quote:

I recently met a new co-worker who has Beats and thinks Bose speakers are good. :/

Double whammy right there. I didn't even try to convince him otherwise.

You have to drop hints that you have speakers of unspeakable quality somewhere. If you talk up your own speakers eventually they will ask what they are (be ready with an overly scientific description so they are impressed). Hopefully they ask something like "Wow, how much would that cost?" ........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back