Getting "called-out" for not wearing the Beats
Apr 28, 2011 at 10:53 AM Post #511 of 5,506
This is so so true...

They hire sales people, in other words people that know how to sell... Not know the products.

Also I'm totally calling that guy out on his claim right now.... Because to me... all he proved is that Beats Studios SUCK at isolation (which they do) A proper headphone you should not be able to hear when facing down like that unless they are so bloody powerful that they are reverberating the surface.

Quote:
The fact that it was used or endorsed by someone working at Best Buy tells you all you need to know. I'm sure they occasionally get lucky and hire someone competent to sell their tech/audio stuff. I've just never had the fortune of running into them.

Apr 28, 2011 at 11:20 AM Post #512 of 5,506
There are good people at best buy, but they are often moved around the store.  It's hard to be an expert at all things, so the guy showing you headsets today may have been in car audio last month.

I was just given a pair of Beat Studios from a friend who received them as a promotional item (they are the special edition red that are going to be sold at BB next month).  Best Buy's cost on them is under $200.  At $175 I would say they would be a decent value, but agree at the retail price or even amazon price they are expensive.

I compared them to my HD595, I also have Shure SCL4 and Mee M11 iems.
Compared to the HD595 they actually do not sound bad.  And personally I like the styling of the beats better, and as someone who travels quite a bit I like the case alot.  Another thing that may not matter to most, but was something I was looking for is the studio's come standard with the microphone cord.

Apr 28, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #513 of 5,506

Quote:
The fact that it was used or endorsed by someone working at Best Buy tells you all you need to know. I'm sure they occasionally get lucky and hire someone competent to sell their tech/audio stuff. I've just never had the fortune of running into them.

i disagree, at my local best buy(futureshop) they know what they are talking about. when i had $80 to spend on headphones about a year ago i asked what the best value was and they gave me the pioneer se m390 which WAS the best value for that price in the store. also they agree with me that the shure srh840 and srh750dj is better then the beats and bose but they have to sell the beats and bose to feed their families. blame futureshop (best buy) not the employees. some actually know what they are talking about.

Apr 28, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #514 of 5,506

...I'm applying to work at Best Buy... lol

To defend them a little. Back when they sold more B&W stuff in their home theater section, there were a few competent people working there.

But yeah, most of them are idiots (kind of like my current GameStop job), I will admit. Since they don't give commission though...I won't have to tell people how great Beats are. Hooray! Not that I could actually do that anyway.

Apr 28, 2011 at 1:03 PM Post #515 of 5,506
I thought people at best buy worked on commission.  Did that change or was it always like that?

I wonder if they have quotas on extended warranties too.  I know either office max or depot does that for cashiers.

Apr 28, 2011 at 1:14 PM Post #516 of 5,506
I thought people at best buy worked on commission.  Did that change or was it always like that?

I wonder if they have quotas on extended warranties too.  I know either office max or depot does that for cashiers.

My cousin works at Best Buy currently and he gets no commission. Not sure if different departments work different was though. He works pretty much exclusively in video games, so I could see that section not getting commission.

Either way, I think they DO have a quota when on registers to sell extended warranties and what not. I haven't been hounded much about it, most of them ask and if I say no, leave it be. Avoid like the plague their Geek Squad guys though when buying a laptop (or something of that sort) from BB. Guy talked my ear off for about 20 minutes even though I kept telling him I didn't need their coverage. Musta been a rough day for him.

Apr 28, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #517 of 5,506
it's off topic but ;;

yes people at BB are not on commision.  But are treated as though they are.  There is a quota that managers want to get (helps them get bonuses).  If you don't sell those warrentys you will see less hours. 

Apr 28, 2011 at 1:41 PM Post #518 of 5,506
They are not commission but they do have targets they are supposed to hit.  Mostly around attachments, warranties, geek squad installation, etc.  They are also bonus'ed based on how their store does compared to others in those areas.

Circuit City used to be commission long ago.

Apr 28, 2011 at 1:52 PM Post #519 of 5,506

Quote:
They are not commission but they do have targets they are supposed to hit.  Mostly around attachments, warranties, geek squad installation, etc.  They are also bonus'ed based on how their store does compared to others in those areas.

Circuit City used to be commission long ago.

got to fix onething for you.. managers get the bonus the regular employees don't see it (  maybe the manager is nice and gets pizza )

Apr 28, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #520 of 5,506
I worked at Staples for a few months and they did a lot of the same things. Just because you don't call it commission doesn't mean you don't have something in place that does the same thing. We had Market Baskets we were expected to reach which always meant selling extra crap people didn't really need. They kind of did so I could justify it to myself that way, but few people actually need Microsoft Office when they can have LibreOffice. And no one needs Norton. Ever. There are free options, including Microsoft Security Essentials, which work just as good.

But my big issue with them is the side-things they try to sell you. My favorite is the $30 home setup of your new 3D TV and glasses from Samsung. Sounds great, right? When they deliver the TV for an extra $30 they'll sync your new glasses with your new TV, which you have to do or they won't work. However, what they don't tell you is that if you turn both the glasses and the TV on and are within 30 feet of each other they'll do it on their own.

That and the last time I went in there with someone looking for a computer my Uncle was considering a Mac because he had liked mine and the sales person had a whole speech about how Macs were horrible and what my uncle really wanted was this Toshiba. Which was a crappy computer. The keyboard was all mushy for crying out loud. Horribly built piece of junk.

Hmm. Let me just make one thing clear, I'm sure there are good people at Best Buy, just as there were good people at the Staples I worked out. The problem is, they aren't the majority and the majority of people in such stores are idiots who barely know about what they're selling.

Apr 28, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #521 of 5,506

Quote:
I worked at Staples for a few months and they did a lot of the same things. Just because you don't call it commission doesn't mean you don't have something in place that does the same thing. We had Market Baskets we were expected to reach which always meant selling extra crap people didn't really need. They kind of did so I could justify it to myself that way, but few people actually need Microsoft Office when they can have LibreOffice. And no one needs Norton. Ever. There are free options, including Microsoft Security Essentials, which work just as good.

But my big issue with them is the side-things they try to sell you. My favorite is the $30 home setup of your new 3D TV and glasses from Samsung. Sounds great, right? When they deliver the TV for an extra $30 they'll sync your new glasses with your new TV, which you have to do or they won't work. However, what they don't tell you is that if you turn both the glasses and the TV on and are within 30 feet of each other they'll do it on their own.

That and the last time I went in there with someone looking for a computer my Uncle was considering a Mac because he had liked mine and the sales person had a whole speech about how Macs were horrible and what my uncle really wanted was this Toshiba. Which was a crappy computer. The keyboard was all mushy for crying out loud. Horribly built piece of junk.

Hmm. Let me just make one thing clear, I'm sure there are good people at Best Buy, just as there were good people at the Staples I worked out. The problem is, they aren't the majority and the majority of people in such stores are idiots who barely know about what they're selling.

i got my toshiba laptop from futureshop (canadian best buy) and its a great computer. way better then crappy macs.

Apr 28, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #522 of 5,506
Uhuh. Going to avoid feeding the trolls on this one.

It was a cheaper Toshiba. Their higher-end stuff is really good but there's a major quality gap between the high and low end for that company. Their low-end stuff is really shoddily made.

Apr 28, 2011 at 6:30 PM Post #523 of 5,506
So how about those BEATS headphones guys? What do we think about those?

Has anyone ever called you out for not wearing them before? I know they've done that to me.

Apr 28, 2011 at 6:52 PM Post #524 of 5,506

Quote:
Uhuh. Going to avoid feeding the trolls on this one.

It was a cheaper Toshiba. Their higher-end stuff is really good but there's a major quality gap between the high and low end for that company. Their low-end stuff is really shoddily made.

mine is the toshiba l655d laptop, it was $600 and i find nothing wrong with it. perhaps he got a bad unit.

anyways back on topic someone on my bus today mentioned that beats was just a status symbol,

it went like this.
me: ya i decided to bring my shure srh840 today
him: well at least its not the beats they are a status symbol
me: ya they are over priced
him: ya i feel that they are like "look at me i have beats, i have money yay"

i know its not being called out for not having them in a negative but he congratulated me for my research i did.

Apr 28, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #525 of 5,506
Nope.  Nobody ever notices my SE530s so they can't call me out.  I've seen some people call the bronze Shures too bling-y but the only person who ever commented on them in the last two years or so already knew what they were.  I was thinking that someone would say something about new Golds being bling-y or something, since I think these ones actually are, but no one's said anything yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back