Getting "called-out" for not wearing the Beats
Feb 18, 2011 at 1:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5,506

mastershake2393

500+ Head-Fier
I was just interested in seeing how many Head-Fi-er's get asked about not wearing the Beats (Studio, Solo, etc.). Whenever I'm wearing my AH-D1001K's, it feels like someone always asks me why I didn't buy the Beats. Just curious to see if there is a staggering number of people that constantly get asked relatively the same question. 
rolleyes.gif

Feb 18, 2011 at 1:23 AM Post #2 of 5,506
I have before by some of my friends that have beats. I ask them if I can feel their $300 plastic or maybe even get a listen of that $300 dollar sound. Then I have them listen to my $130 dollar Crossfades and feel the $130 solid metal plating. With most, I can see the shame on their faces right when they listen to my headphones and when I tell them how much I spent, I love it. Others still claim their beats sound better. Stubborn... they know deep down they've been ripped off.

Feb 18, 2011 at 1:38 AM Post #4 of 5,506
I've never been called out for not having beats, but a lot of my friends frown upon me spending $100+ on headphones, people that make music and care about it. They don't care about the quality though. I have one friend who's mildly interested, but he's been teetering for a while now. I'd bring my Ad900 for my friends to try, but I don't want to risk them breaking. My girlfriend loves them though and understands why they cost so much, in-fact she bought them for me.

Feb 18, 2011 at 9:53 AM Post #8 of 5,506

Quote:
Always get asked that, when I try to explain that the beats aren't very good, and extremely overpriced, people flip out.  I'm done explaining, people can't seem to handle the truth. :)

I occasionally get that reaction [from the less informed]. If they actually take interest in SQ, they usually ask how mine sound and listen to the current rig I have on. I've only had one person disagree with me to the point where they got angry at me lol.

Feb 18, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #9 of 5,506
Nobody has ever asked me, but then again...I walk around all day long with a look on my face that makes people think I could stab a pencil through their neck and then go eat lunch and not think twice about it. 

Feb 18, 2011 at 4:03 PM Post #10 of 5,506
Yes, and it is unbelievably bad... 
If you're not wearing Bosé (as people I know call it in a desperate attempt to make it sound fancy) or Beats by Dre, people think you wasted your money on any headphones not those two that are more than $100, mainly because they think they "look cool". I laugh at how wrong they are...

But it's very easy to sway Bose fans because they genuinely believe Bose have the greatest sound quality; and when they hear good headphones, 0.0 their reactions are worth the frustration.

Feb 18, 2011 at 4:26 PM Post #11 of 5,506

Quote:
I've never been called out for not having beats, but a lot of my friends frown upon me spending $100+ on headphones, people that make music and care about it. They don't care about the quality though. I have one friend who's mildly interested, but he's been teetering for a while now. I'd bring my Ad900 for my friends to try, but I don't want to risk them breaking. My girlfriend loves them though and understands why they cost so much, in-fact she bought them for me.

That.

Though I've learned not to give a flying rats ass x]

Feb 18, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #14 of 5,506
I wish I'd be able to argue with some Beats owner IRL but seems people are smarter here in Finland and avoid them as they are not a very common sight over here. It would be rather entertaining experience as I love to argue especially about something that that is so obvious and that I'm so certain about. Especially entertaining would be the case if you met a Beats owner that bought it just for the bass and think it's the best out there for bass (as in the strongest) which probably runs something like iPod or iPhone and then you'd bring a Cowon MP3 player with bass boosted and a Sony XB500 with you and let the guy have a listen and then you'd just say as he takes them off his head "pretty good crap for $50 too huh?". I'd love to see the person's facial expression. Sound quality is more subjective and Beats owners will probably defend it no matter what but bass quantity is another thing though and many Beats users buy them because of the bass so.

Feb 18, 2011 at 6:35 PM Post #15 of 5,506

Quote:
I wish I'd be able to argue with some Beats owner IRL but seems people are smarter here in Finland and avoid them as they are not a very common sight over here. It would be rather entertaining experience as I love to argue especially about something that that is so obvious and that I'm so certain about. Especially entertaining would be the case if you met a Beats owner that bought it just for the bass and think it's the best out there for bass (as in the strongest) which probably runs something like iPod or iPhone and then you'd bring a Cowon MP3 player with bass boosted and a Sony XB500 with you and let the guy have a listen and then you'd just say as he takes them off his head "pretty good crap for $50 too huh?". I'd love to see the person's facial expression.

Are you saying Americans are dumb?
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back