Getting "called-out" for not wearing the Beats
Aug 26, 2011 at 9:36 AM Post #1,891 of 5,506

Quote:
There's one art school in my country... HOO BOY. Dangerous place for an audiophile.

I mean, the students there practically worship Beats and Skullcandy. One of my ex-classmates just transferred there and BAM! I see one Solo hanging around his neck two months later.

Sigh...

Speaking of Beats at schools, my school is slowly being converted into an audiophile school by me and a few other people. Managed to get a friend of mine to buy a pair of UE universals instead of the lady GaGa Beats just the other day 
atsmile.gif

Aug 26, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #1,892 of 5,506
Interesting stories..

Though with staying true to the Threads 'intent', these last two stories involves very little as to whether these people were calling others out for not wearing the beats?  

For the other poster, why 'sigh' after your friend purchase the solos? Granted, he could've gotten a 'technically' superior pair for the price.. But, if he's happy with his purchase.. What exactly is it to you?

Also, what's with the focus on converting people from wearing certain brand (namely Beats) to another.. How does that accomplish any real or substantial fulfillment? There was no mention of that person seeking out advice on what to get...

If there are true genuine 'Calling out' stories here, hell I'd be amused at reading them...  But all I usually see is a variant of this and then immediately followed by some off-the-cuff remark in a general sense.. which is, well, stereotyping...

And, no, I don't agree that for this case scenario (this thread) stereotyping is okay... Unless you're trying to profile someone.

Aug 26, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #1,893 of 5,506

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotor102 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Interesting stories..

Though with staying true to the Threads 'intent', these last two stories involves very little as to whether these people were calling others out for not wearing the beats?  

For the other poster, why 'sigh' after your friend purchase the solos? Granted, he could've gotten a 'technically' superior pair for the price.. But, if he's happy with his purchase.. What exactly is it to you?

Also, what's with the focus on converting people from wearing certain brand (namely Beats) to another.. How does that accomplish any real or substantial fulfillment? There was no mention of that person seeking out advice on what to get...

If there are true genuine 'Calling out' stories here, hell I'd be amused at reading them...  But all I usually see is a variant of this and then immediately followed by some off-the-cuff remark in a general sense.. which is, well, stereotyping...

And, no, I don't agree that for this case scenario (this thread) stereotyping is okay... Unless you're trying to profile someone.

I'll just say that the last two stories are 100x more on topic than what you just said (which by the way has been debated to death).

Aug 26, 2011 at 4:02 PM Post #1,894 of 5,506
SOTA?

building looks nice from the outside ... 

Quote:
There's one art school in my country... HOO BOY. Dangerous place for an audiophile.

I mean, the students there practically worship Beats and Skullcandy. One of my ex-classmates just transferred there and BAM! I see one Solo hanging around his neck two months later.

Sigh...

Aug 26, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #1,895 of 5,506

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotor102 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

But, if he's happy with his purchase.. What exactly is it to you?

(...)

Shotor no one is trying to convert anyone to the Holy Church of the Audio-Technica, or anything like that. I think I speak for everyone in this thread when I say the goal is showing Beats wearers other models you might own that you think they might enjoy - something bassy - eventually more than the Beats. It's not so much of a "you're wrong, let me show you what right is!" approach, but more of a "there are things that I believe you might enjoy more than the Beats and if you want I can show you". There is absolutely nothing wrong with that IMO. You are right, no one asked our opinion. But if I see an old lady carrying lots of grocery bags on the street I'll offer my help to carry them anyway even though she never asked, and I don't exactly think that's being rude. If they decline, you can't be blamed.

And if they accept and in the end they still prefer the Beats, at least their decision is now a more informed one. A friend of mine loves the Sennheiser CX-300 I offered him, even more than my RE-Zeros. It's one of the darkest IEMs I ever tried, but to his ears, with his music, that sounds good. I'm not goint to insult him orbelieve he doesn't know anything about sound. I showed him something else and he still prefers those, so good for him.

And you may ask "would you offer the same to someone wearing something most consider better" (let's say the D-25-1-ii) and I guess I would, even if not immediately. What's the difference? In my opinion, the person wearing Beats is most likely to benefit from trying something else than the other person, because I consider the HD-25-1-ii to be better in every aspect. I think that makes sense.

Also I understand the "stereotype" thing was directed at me, and I did express myself badly. I wasn't saying it's ok to create stereotypes, but I do believe we create them anyway, it's part of the cognitive process. We shouldn't take them too seriously, of course, but after reading 20 stories of Beats wearers being rude, my brain assumes Beats wearers are rude.

I'm sorry for making another long post, and for perpetuating a seemingly endless debate, but I finally found the words to express my views.

Aug 26, 2011 at 4:57 PM Post #1,896 of 5,506
So today I showed my friends my HD 25 Adidas Originals for the first time. The look on their faces when I showed them the headband could split was priceless. Someone played "Derezzed - Daft Punk" from their iPhone and everyone wanted a turn at it!

Then, out of the blue, a bro takes it off and says "These sound nice, but why didn't you just get Beats instead?" Everyone else got quiet since I had talked them out of buying Beats Solo HD's and into some cheaper, better alternatives in the past.

I saved them the shpeel and just said "Oh, you know. The splitting headband reduced headphone hair so it was a dealbreaker for me." 
beyersmile.png

Aug 26, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #1,897 of 5,506
"I'll just say that the last two stories are 100x more on topic than what you just said (which by the way has been debated to death"

ac500, your obnoxiousness and continuous failure to comprehend context, being as simple as my last post for example, just reflects your immature and intolerant attitude towards the subject.

And by the way, questioning the relevance of the last two stories as for being on-par with the thread's intent is far cry from you stating that my challenge is on-point with the threat's questionable premise.

I've seen and read what you think, and as far as I'm concerned, you're in no position to criticize me.

Aug 26, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #1,898 of 5,506
I see more and more radio studio people wearing them-maybe freebies? I know when I worked at tv stations there were endless freebies like that hoping to get them on the air. Not bad marketing... I think they are more of a status symbol now, their prices are insane and I think people like to show that off.

Aug 26, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #1,899 of 5,506
--"Shotor no one is trying to convert anyone to the Holy Church of the Audio-Technica, or anything like that. I think I speak for everyone in this thread when I say the goal is showing Beats wearers other models you might own that you think they might enjoy - something bassy - eventually more than the Beats. It's not so much of a "you're wrong, let me show you what right is!" approach, but more of a "there are things that I believe you might enjoy more than the Beats and if you want I can show you".---

I clearly did not state that everyone here is trying to convert any beats wearers that they come across. And I certainly didn't mention Audio-Technica either, at least not in this post.  Further, the previous comment was directed specifically to the two previous posts do not deal at all with People calling them out on wearing beats, rather how they've managed to convert one person to opt for a different brand name (which may be cheaper and 'technically better), and the other is dealing with a school where the Beats take prominence over the headphone wearers/users.. As-well as to the fact that one person expresses his dismay/disgust towards his other friend who move to that school and ended up getting the Solos... To which I simply challenged, why the hell does this bother him... If the person has bought something, even grossly overpriced, and is happy with that purchase... what is it to the other person to get so bent out of shape for? It sound utterly absurd to me.  And it's a different story if the friend was to actually ask for advice, or come back with the solos and try to show them off... But neither was mentioned... Statements and stories like that are the fuel of follow up off the cuff comments, which start by a simple question of the demographic target of Beats, and then easily escalates to comments and claims portraying and stereotyping an entire genre of music, its quality and aim...   And this can go on and on... So what, are you going to call me out for being too sensitive...? So where do we draw the line... When YOU actually get mildly irritated by overbloated comments that are neither justified nor necessary for the continuation of the 'innocent - called out' stories..?  And before you claim it hasn't happened, I suggest you consult with you partner ac500 and check his posts carefully. 

"There is absolutely nothing wrong with that IMO. You are right, no one asked our opinion. But if I see an old lady carrying lots of grocery bags on the street I'll offer my help to carry them anyway even though she never asked, and I don't exactly think that's being rude. If they decline, you can't be blamed."

And you actually think that this is analogous to lets say, me, walking around in my (new) Shure SRH840, and see a 15 year teenager dribbling his basketball while sporting the Studios - Coming up to him and asking him how much he paid, where did he get them from, is he happy with them, what music does he listen to... Then, let him try my Shures, which obviously outclass the Studios, all for the 'supposed' sake of 'helping' by letting him know that he could've had much better for $130 less?  Really...  In the first case I can see the old lady either accepting the offer, or declining while thanking you.. While in the other case, I can guarantee you that 90% of the time people are going to look at you oddly, question your motives, and wonder if you're representing or trying to promote your brand-name headphones' company..    I know I will think that much if someone does that to me.. I won't be rude, But I will say..'Umm.. okay, thank you for that... But.. who are you and what do you want...?'

Please, find a more suiting analogy...

"And if they accept and in the end they still prefer the Beats, at least their decision is now a more informed one. A friend of mine loves the Sennheiser CX-300 I offered him, even more than my RE-Zeros. It's one of the darkest IEMs I ever tried, but to his ears, with his music, that sounds good. I'm not goint to insult him orbelieve he doesn't know anything about sound. I showed him something else and he still prefers those, so good for him."

That is completely irrelevant to anything I was challenging.. You just now referenced a Senn vs Re-zeros, which I have no idea how they sound... And he's your friend... Last time I've check, the stories on this thread don't come near the 'advising my buddy what headphones to buy'... Unless you consider yourself a Saint-Guru who must save Society from buying overpriced headphones... I don't see the relevance of this example.

"Also I understand the "stereotype" thing was directed at me, and I did express myself badly. I wasn't saying it's ok to create stereotypes, but I do believe we create them anyway, it's part of the cognitive process. We shouldn't take them too seriously, of course, but after reading 20 stories of Beats wearers being rude, my brain assumes Beats wearers are rude."

I understand the human psyche' and its tendency to categorize things accordingly, it's how we remember things.. association..(well mostly)  However, creating them in your head for the purposes of your personal and internal segregation (for whatever benefit this may serve) is different than using it as an argument arc-point.. And definitely should not be justified... Also, if you read 20 stories of Beats wearers being rude, and if that makes your brain assume this and apply it in the cummulitive general sense... Then with all honesty, you need to learn how to process and internalize information better... After all, I saw 20 beats wearers in the last 3 months while I was testing the SRH240, XB500's, Sennheisers and such... And neither of them spoke to me nor called me out, even though there was obvious eye-lock... So, should I assume also that every single beat wearer is a calm-toned down and laid-back person?? Clearly that isn't so either... 

I understand specifying and singling a specific event... but then... that isn't what's been going on this thread...  You watch and see for yourself.. Because this is what I've been seeing; 'Funny story about being called out', the next comment, comments on that, and the next or the following one is an off-the-cuff generalizing remark that stereotypes the Beats wearing community as a whole, and a Negative one at that..  

And I don't own the beats, so I have no personal beef or agenda on this either, keep that in mind.

Aug 26, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #1,902 of 5,506
ITT:
Red Hot Anal Apocalypse, EVERYWHERE!

Aug 26, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #1,904 of 5,506
Ok Shotor this is going to be me being as honest as possible:

1) Google "humor". Learn. Understand that not everything is supposed to be completely serious. The post I made was a (failed) attemp at explaining my motives in a comical-yet-serious way. I was being more polite than most of the people I see here have been lately. I know you didn't say Audio-Technica, it was an example! How does this even require an explanation? And everything anyone types in after quoting is interpreted by you as a personal attack upon you and your loved ones. Sometimes people just give out examples without it being a follow-up to anything you posted. Just relax, breath in and then type.

2) Believe it or not, it is possible to explain a point in less than one page - I bet you were dying just now to quote me and say "I most certainly did not write an entire page", read 1) again. I never said anything about this because it's fine, some people just like to be a bit more expressive, but dude, come on...

3) über-eloquence does not give you credit to be spent on HeadRoom. If you didn't understand this was a joke, read 1) again.

4) You don't know me, you don't know what my personality is like, you don't know my motivations and goals in life. Therefore, you can't say what I was trying to do by showing someone my headphones. If you don't think someone might actually show his headphones to someone else just to help them make a conscious decision, I suggest you check your own morals. I know I would, and I have, just like I have helped old ladies with groceries
redface.gif
I don't to it to rub in their noses that they made a bad choice, because like I said if they still think they did a good one, I'll be fine with it. I realize you don't think this can be true, but I think I still know my motivations better than you. In your example, you want to make him realize his choice sucks, in my example - and life - I actually want to help. Believe it or not, other people's bad choices are not fapping material to me. If you didn't understand my last sentence was a joke... you know the drill by now.

5) I didn't understand your point of me showing my RE-Zeros to my friend... are you seriously putting me down because I gave an example of something you've never tried? If so, LOL
Anyway, no, I wasn't saving him from anything. I was showing him headphones. Just showing. He didn't kneel at my feet afterwards. He just said "cool, thanks, I still like these though". Not sure if trolling...

Ah I've done it again. Doesn't matter. The day's going great to me so far. I know you'll reply to this in one of those China-wants-their-wall-back posts, showing how every single one of my sentences was degrading. It's ok, I have to learn not to care what people on the Internet think so much. And if someone could please post another story, even if imaginary, I'd appreciate it
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back