Getting "called-out" for not wearing the Beats
Aug 17, 2011 at 1:23 AM Post #1,636 of 5,506

Quote:
That's a pretty hypocritical generalization. 

• What is someone likes a congested, unresolving sound? It's as much a sound signature as coloration. Otherwise no one would buy distorted tube amps.
  • A headphone that's truly "resolving" will present exactly what's on the recording as the recording intended. Coloration by its nature prevents that.
  • A severe roll-off in the bass or treble is unresolving. Nothing at the extremes will be resolved. It's just missing.
  • Grados don't have very high resolution mids and highs. It only seems that way because they're colored. Treble spike at 9kHz makes cymbals louder, which makes them sound more resolving at the same volume. Upper mid-range spikes at 2kHz and 4kHz make guitars and snare drums respectively bite harder, and appear sharper. Mid-bass hump at 100Hz that doesn't intrude much into the mid-range and zero sub-bass make kick drums and bass guitars punch harder without muddying everything. Their coloration is tailored to the illusion of resolution. All the important rock instruments are forward.

You're better off saying all headphone preference, coloration and resolution both, is just preference.

Maybe this doesn't come to you but us rockers want exactly this.

Aug 17, 2011 at 1:29 AM Post #1,637 of 5,506

Quote:
Not to step on your toes, but this isn't existential at all. Semantics, maybe. Existentialism, nah.

Uh.. why not? All aspects of empiricism from measurements and individual listening experiences have been thrown out and discredited on the stand that what's measured as good sounding doesn't necessarily get perceived the same way by a hypothetical individual and vice versa. At this point we're talking about our individual perception of realism/good-sounding and how that ultimately affects the validity of our choices and statements here. This discussion might not come from the standpoint of actual self-determination or existence but in the end we're still trying to justify the authority of our remarks, and it's just not going to end in anything meaningful.

Aug 17, 2011 at 1:31 AM Post #1,638 of 5,506
All I'm gonna say is, when you're losing a debate, questioning the existence of reality (and your enemy metric - "resolution") is an interesting twist I didn't expect.

Aug 17, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #1,639 of 5,506
Do Grados REALLY sound more realistic than a Beats? I really have to question that. To me they make everything sound louder and sharper than it actually is. Beats make everything sound warmer and fuller than it actually is. They're like a really low resolution Sennheiser HD650. Here's a graph for measured comparison. I'm not sure if realism is a good argument.

Aug 17, 2011 at 1:36 AM Post #1,640 of 5,506
> They're like a really low resolution Sennheiser HD650.

Thank you for ending this whole questioning-the-existence-of-resolution (and everything in this universe) trend.

Aug 17, 2011 at 1:36 AM Post #1,641 of 5,506

Quote:
> They're like a really low resolution Sennheiser HD650.

Thank you for ending this whole questioning-the-existence-of-resolution (and everything in this universe) trend.

Who was questioning the existence of resolution...? 

Quote:

Uh.. why not? All aspects of empiricism from measurements and individual listening experiences have been thrown out and discredited on the stand that what's measured as good sounding doesn't necessarily get perceived the same way by a hypothetical individual and vice versa. At this point we're talking about our individual perception of realism/good-sounding and how that ultimately affects the validity of our choices and statements here. This discussion might not come from the standpoint of actual self-determination or existence but in the end we're still trying to justify the authority of our remarks, and it's just not going to end in anything meaningful.

Talking about the perception of good sound doesn't relate to existentialism in any way. And they were never talking about their individual perception of realism. I get the feeling this can lead into a fight, so I'm gonna back out. Like I said, I wasn't trying to step on your toes, but I think I gave the impression I was. 

Aug 17, 2011 at 1:40 AM Post #1,643 of 5,506
Head Injury was trying to make a point that resolution is subjective, and being a metric, therefore does not really exist as such. I say if resolution exists, it can be objectively quantified at least to some extent.

Aug 17, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #1,646 of 5,506
Quote:
Head Injury was trying to make a point that resolution is subjective, and being a metric, therefore does not really exist as such. If resolution exists, it can be objectively quantified at least to some extent.

I suggest you re-read my posts. That was the exact opposite of what I was saying.

Aug 17, 2011 at 1:47 AM Post #1,647 of 5,506
Head Injury: Are you sure? Because the exact opposite would be that you think resolution does exist as a metric. If you say resolution exists as a metric (which is objective by definition), then we can say the Beats have a resolution level that is objectively distinct from say a pair of Ultrasones. As a metric, you can then use it to say the Ultrasones are objectively higher resolution than the Beats. 

mastershake: How about "Beats fans unite!" ?

Aug 17, 2011 at 1:48 AM Post #1,648 of 5,506
Quote:
If you say resolution exists as a metric (which is objective by definition), then we can say the Beats have a resolution level that is objectively distinct from say a pair of Ultrasones. As a metric, you can then use it to say the Ultrasones are objectively higher resolution than the Beats. 

mastershake: How about "Beats fans unite!" ?

I never said you couldn't say Beats are unresolving. They are. All colored cans are unresolving.

Suddenly I realize all of my previous posts were pointless because you understood none of them 
frown.gif

Aug 17, 2011 at 1:51 AM Post #1,650 of 5,506
Well I don't see "resolving" in the glossary, so I'm not quite sure what you mean.

> All colored cans are unresolving.

All cans are colored.

> Beats are fairly low resolution

Then why are people saying otherwise? (OR refusing to come out and admit it?)

> but bashed at an undeserved level.

Fine, but I hope you realize the more you defend them (people hinting that they're high resolution) the more they're going to be "bashed".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back