Getting a gift for my sister
Aug 17, 2010 at 5:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

MarcusP

New Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 17, 2010
Posts
40
Likes
10
Hey guys, I'm looking for 2 types of headphones.
One for me and the other one I'm buying for my sister. I have a Denon AH-D501 right now, pretty awesome but the cushion presses on my ear and I wear spectacles. So after a while it gets pretty uncomfortable.
But anyway, my uncle is taking over my Denon AH-D501.
 
My sister's HPs:
She wants a simple looking, not too big not too small headphones. Something comfortable for sure (who wants headphones that are not?)
She listen to slow songs, so I'm thinking that clarity of the vocals are quite important?
I've listen a few HPs down but it isn't with me now, I'll update this thread when I get hold of it.
All I know is, she thinks the Koss Portapro is too 'boyish' so that's out. Haha
Recommendations would be really helpful. Oh and my budget is around RM200-RM300 (Malaysia), so I suppose that would be.. +/- $80?
 
Considering these headphones for my sister :
PX200 II
JVC HA-M750 (Black series)
Equatron Audio EP3070
AKG K81DJ/K518DJ/K518LE
Creative Aurvana Live!
Auvio 33-279 concert class
Maxell DHP-11
 
My HPs:
Well I'm no audiophile, I just got really interested when I tried on my friend's headphones, and started googling and here I am. Haha
Well, I listen to rock, electronica, metal, oldies. Strictly no pop (Taylor Swift, Lady GaGa, Justin Bieber or whatsoever).
Before I read more about HPs, I had closed headphones in my mind (because I kind of like the isolation), but after trying on an open headphones (with amazing soundstage), I'm actually thinking twice. My budget's is also about $80.
On a side note, I would like to ask your opinions about getting 2 headphones (One portable and one for home use). I wouldn't wanna walk on the streets or in my uni with huge cans. I'm thinking of Koss Portapro or an IEM.
 
Considering these headphones for myself:
Alessandro MS1
MS50
DBI Pro 700
Goldring 100/150
or IEMs (not sure yet)
 
UPDATE: I'm not getting an amp for the headphones, maybe not now or maybe never. My friend suggested to me to just get IEMs.
 
I'll update this thread soon with the choices I picked out yesterday. I have an open mind to headphones, so please do recommend any headphones that would be worth my money, and I would enjoy for quite sometime.
 
Thanks a lot!
 
Aug 17, 2010 at 7:20 AM Post #2 of 26

i_djoel2000

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Dec 26, 2009
Posts
813
Likes
11
try ath ad-700. it's open design headphone and it has round your ears earpad too..
 
btw, i'm staying in malaysia too
darthsmile.gif

 
Aug 17, 2010 at 7:22 AM Post #3 of 26

MadCow

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 12, 2010
Posts
297
Likes
12
Have you considered Goldring DR100 or DR150? DR150 is slightly over budget (>RM400), but they're open cans with surprisingly good performance (for their price).
 
I'm not too familiar with IEM's at this kind of price range though. In this range, I only have the Sony EX-90 (which is no longer in production) and the Apple in-ears (which I can't really recommend).
 
Aug 17, 2010 at 7:51 AM Post #4 of 26

beamthegreat

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 14, 2009
Posts
830
Likes
17
get the portapros, they are unbeatable for your budget. I dont know why but they sounded ridiculously good from a demo I listened to at one convention. 
 
Aug 17, 2010 at 8:18 AM Post #5 of 26

MarcusP

New Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 17, 2010
Posts
40
Likes
10
The ATH AD700 are one of the headphones I tried, it's quite loose and pretty huge on the head no?
Unless I get the Portapros and the ATH AD700. Apparently, their midrange sound quality isn't that good.
 
Aug 17, 2010 at 8:26 AM Post #6 of 26

MarcusP

New Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 17, 2010
Posts
40
Likes
10


Quote:
Have you considered Goldring DR100 or DR150? DR150 is slightly over budget (>RM400), but they're open cans with surprisingly good performance (for their price).
 
I'm not too familiar with IEM's at this kind of price range though. In this range, I only have the Sony EX-90 (which is no longer in production) and the Apple in-ears (which I can't really recommend).

 
Yeah, actually the Goldring DR150 is in my list, I didn't know the price at first. Lol.
Meh, it's a little too over budget because I'm buying two headphones.
 
Any other suggestions? :D
 
 
Aug 17, 2010 at 8:33 AM Post #7 of 26

RedSky0

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 8, 2008
Posts
1,006
Likes
19
How about PX200 II for your sister and M-50s for you?
 
The M-50s don't look particularly big to me in pictures but then I haven't seen them up close, and I don't know your dorkiness limit :p
 
http://www.headfonia.com/closed-cans-shootout-m-50-esw-9-t50p-hd25-1-beats-studio-srh-840-srh-750dj-k181dj-and-dj1pro/
 
You're probably not going to get anything particularly good if you split your budget at $80 between IEMs and fullsized headphones. I would rather just pick a middle of the road portable if that's your limit.

EDIT - Oh and I should mention I haven't heard either but they both seem to be generally well regarded here.
 
Aug 17, 2010 at 9:04 AM Post #8 of 26

MarcusP

New Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 17, 2010
Posts
40
Likes
10


Quote:
How about PX200 II for your sister and M-50s for you?
 
The M-50s don't look particularly big to me in pictures but then I haven't seen them up close, and I don't know your dorkiness limit :p
 
http://www.headfonia.com/closed-cans-shootout-m-50-esw-9-t50p-hd25-1-beats-studio-srh-840-srh-750dj-k181dj-and-dj1pro/
 
You're probably not going to get anything particularly good if you split your budget at $80 between IEMs and fullsized headphones. I would rather just pick a middle of the road portable if that's your limit.

EDIT - Oh and I should mention I haven't heard either but they both seem to be generally well regarded here.


Hello, thank you for the recommendations.
Are there PX200 II comfortable? It seems like it rest on the user's ear. Any other forumer own a PX200 II?
Yeah, the M50 is in my list too, any comments on the M50?
 
Oh well, I don't know.. I want a portable one and a decent one. Guess I have to test it out myself.
That's why I'm preparing a list of headphones to try. Haha
 
Aug 17, 2010 at 10:22 AM Post #11 of 26

RedSky0

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 8, 2008
Posts
1,006
Likes
19
From what I've heard they're very comfortable. I used to use the PX100s which seem more or less the same design with maybe a cheaper fabric and I found them to be light enough you barely realised you were wearing them. The only problem was that pads wore out fairly quickly (bit over half a year if I recall they didnt feel very new, this may have changed with the revision), and you can buy replacements.
 
Quote:
Hello, thank you for the recommendations.
Are there PX200 II comfortable? It seems like it rest on the user's ear. Any other forumer own a PX200 II?
Yeah, the M50 is in my list too, any comments on the M50?
 
Oh well, I don't know.. I want a portable one and a decent one. Guess I have to test it out myself.
That's why I'm preparing a list of headphones to try. Haha



 
Aug 17, 2010 at 10:30 AM Post #12 of 26

MarcusP

New Head-Fier
Joined
Aug 17, 2010
Posts
40
Likes
10
Hmm, I showed my sister the design. Waiting for her reply.
If it is a thumbs up, I'll go try it out at the headphone store.
 
Apparently, m50's aren't worth the price we are paying for.
 
Aug 18, 2010 at 10:12 AM Post #15 of 26

RedSky0

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 8, 2008
Posts
1,006
Likes
19
If you use a good equalizer like Electri-Q, honestly I think bass quantity should never be an issue. Perhaps if you have hundreds/thousands of dollars to spend, but not at that level.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top