General Advice on first real headphones.
Mar 18, 2013 at 2:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

HouseOfCards91

New Head-Fier
Hey, so I recently decided I wanted to get headphones that are of a quality that will enhance my music listening experience rather than keep it stagnant. After spending tons of time searching the web and going through forums I couldn't find anyone that had a request similar enough to mine to take the advice they were given so I'm seeking help here.

Important Stuff
  1. Price Range: $125 and below. I know it isn't super high but I haven't ever had high-end phones so I am hesitant to dish out a ton of money for the first set.
  1. Listening Means: Primarily iPhone 4s, also some MacBook Pro. No amp or anything fancy, my most expensive headphones to date are actually $15 philips earbuds
  2. Genres: This is where picking the right phones gets hard. Favorite genre: Classic rock, followed by (in order) techno, folk/rock, jazz, blues, electronic.
  3. Music Files: Most are MP3 or AAC through iTunes.
  4. Concerns: Because of the files and means of iPhone will any headphone be able to make my music sound better?
  5. I don't much care how the phones look or how comfortable they are. I like the idea of open phones like the Grado 60i's, I'm just not certain that they are the phones I need to support my genres and make the most of my music.
  6. I'm not opposed to IEM's (although I'd prefer larger headphones). I like the general size of the Grado 60i's. Bigger than that seems like it might be hard to use for just around school and such. Smaller seems like it might be too fragile...? But I'm not opposed to changing size if something better for my tastes are out there.

I've been looking at different Senns, Grados (obviously), Sonys, etc. but I am uncertain because of the mix of genres and currently going to school in Flagstaff, AZ. means I have no means of trying any of the phones out. I know I don't really have a setup for a really nice set of phones, but I'd like a set that at least makes my music stand out and improves its overall quality.

Mar 18, 2013 at 2:09 AM Post #2 of 12
The ATH M50's are the way to go!
Don't need an amp unless you are really serious about your sound but i suggest getting the $30 Fii0 e6 for some kick in the bass department. :)

Mar 18, 2013 at 2:10 AM Post #3 of 12
You could also look one step up on the grados to the SR80i.  Also Sony MDR-V6 sound amazing as well as Shure SRH440. 
Hope this helps 
L3000.gif

Mar 18, 2013 at 2:12 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:
The ATH M50's are the way to go!
Don't need an amp unless you are really serious about your sound but i suggest getting the $30 Fii0 e6 for some kick in the bass department.
smily_headphones1.gif

these are a basehead headphone and looking at the kind of music you listen too these might not be the ones for you.  but if you love very nice base than these are an option 

Mar 18, 2013 at 2:15 AM Post #5 of 12
I don't really love bass. I understand its presence and I want it to be present and I want to feel its presence but I don't want it to overwhelm what the mids and highs are doing at the same time. I really want a balance where they are all in their intended place. I looked at Grado 80i's but many people said without an amp the 60i's actually sound better than the 80i's... idk why that would be, it was just what I was reading.

Mar 18, 2013 at 2:31 AM Post #9 of 12
so should I disregard the post I had read saying that the sr80i unamped is inferior to the sr60i unamped? I didn't think it made since but a lot of people agreed with that statement and again, I listen from my iPhone which is unamped and isn't as powerful.

Mar 18, 2013 at 2:50 AM Post #10 of 12
Stay away from open headphones if you are using it in the public but if you really wanted to, Grados are great if not the best! For closed, don't go for ATH-M50 if you are not a fan of bass. Sony MDR-7506 are good!

Billson

Mar 18, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:
so should I disregard the post I had read saying that the sr80i unamped is inferior to the sr60i unamped? I didn't think it made since but a lot of people agreed with that statement and again, I listen from my iPhone which is unamped and isn't as powerful.

So a couple things you should know about grados:
1. To answer your question that is wrong the SR80i just benefits from an amp better than the SR60i.  Also the 80i scales better with better equipment, but unamped the 80i sounds better.
2. They have a very unique sound signature and aren't for everyone.
3. Because they are open back it is hard to wear them in public
4. They aren't the most comfortable things on the face of the planet, so you can't wear them for very long.
5. They do in my opinion sound amazing.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back