Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Dec 20, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #3,618 of 13,800

You're going to be spending more with them, so I guess they can afford  that much of a loss/discount on the Pulse Xfi as you are supposed to then fork up another $2,500 more:

yikes

But going through the thread, this is what I gathered:

1. There will only be 12 Pulse Xfi SE. (And 2 will be for Gavin and Larry)
2. Based on the poll and comments in the thread, seems like anyone can jump on the "moving on up" perk. (more than 12 can upgrade)
3. The "THD Performance Enhancement" perk is only available for the Pulse Xfi. (Only $168)

This to me means that the Pulse Xfi SE is irrelevant. The "moving on up" perk is probably more likely to be used to get the "THD Performance Enhancement" perk. And quite frankly, that is still cheaper than what I paid.

I was already a little upset for joining the Pulse Xfi perk two days early, and wasn't able to get the Audeze bundle at the same price, but now this is crazy. Kind of feels like they are trying to get as many new buyers as possible before the 27th cut off, even if it means leaving previous backers behind.

Edit:
So we may do a "THD Performance Enhancement" for Geek Pulse Xfi only. -Gavin
We can do the THD package for Soul. No problem there. Thanks for bringing it up. -Gavin

Guess The THD package is for the Soul also, not just the Pulse Xfi.

Dec 20, 2014 at 1:09 PM Post #3,619 of 13,800

No, it's a new PCB layout with a different dielectric material and more stuff.

http://www.lhlabs.com/force/indiegogogeekpulse/2797-geek-pulse-xfi-signature-edition-details

But that $2500 upgrade also includes the WBT RCA's and Cardas XLR's.  See below:

Here's a list of features of the Geek Pulse Xfi SE:

Naked Resistors: SE uses TX2725 current to voltage descrete resistors from Texas Instruments. Nicknamed "naked resistors," these bad little mamma-jamma's are known by audiophiles to provide the most transparent sound due to the fact that they're completely non-inductive.

Upgraded Connectors: SE uses chassis-mounted Cardas XLR connectors and WBT RCA output connectors.

Individual Component Matching: As much as we'd like to think differently, each circuit board is slightly different. SE's board is measured first, then matched to the proper component values. Then, each component pair is precisely matched. Then they're soldered onto the PCB. This is all done by hand by our R&D manager, Eric Carrasco.

DAC IC DPLL Fine Tuning: Each SE has its ESS IC DPLL fine tuned to match the dual femto clocks.

Transmission Line Impedance Control: Each unit is individually measured and tweaked until each digital transmission line's impedance is ideal. Each square wave must be perfect no matter how fast it is. This takes hours of tuning for each board.

Front Panel: Right now, SE looks like any other Pulse. But Kayla is working on a refinement for the faceplate to distinguish Pulse Xfi SE from all the rest.

Optional customization: While we're building the SE's, we'll be in constant contact with their owners to make sure SE is optimized for their systems. These options include:
  1. Line out output voltage: We can set it to either 1 Vrms or 2 Vrms on the single-ended outputs, and either 2 Vrms or 4 Vrms on the balanced outputs.
  2. Headphone gain settings: Having the ability to switch gain settings is cool, but taking out all those relays makes the output sound SO much better. Larry and I have each fixed our headphone output gain to low. You can choose to leave it stock, or fix it where you want it.
  3. Choose Your Analog Amps: Larry and I will talk you through the way each option sounds and will let you pick what you like the most. We have six different options for you to choose from, and hundreds of hours subjectively listening to each. We'll find the one you'll like the best.
  4. Headphone output circuit: We'll let you choose your favorite output capacitors for the headphone output. Again, we have tons of hours listening to several different configurations and will help you choose the ones that you'll love the most.

Dec 20, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #3,620 of 13,800
I now really think LHL is so good at sales.
Releasing a very expensive upgrade, then come up with another 1/10 of the price, then everybody will think the latter is a no-brainer.
I am not judging anything, just what I feel.

Dec 20, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #3,623 of 13,800
What benefit does the THD package do exactly? Larry measured in their on video on YouTube that the Pulse Xfi has a THD+N measurement of 0.0009% at 90 kHz bandwidth (rounding up).

It always makes people feel better about themselves to have a device that measures 0.0009% instead of 0.0018%. So one clear benefit is increased self-esteem, and that's actually quite an important enhancement, because the better you feel about yourself, the better you'll feel about your gear, and the music it reproduces. Psychosomatically, your improved self esteem will allow your endolymph to flow with laminar smoothness, reducing the occurrence of eddy currents around your stereocilia and improving K+ ionic flow across the apical membrane. Duh!
wink.gif

Dec 20, 2014 at 2:26 PM Post #3,624 of 13,800
What benefit does the THD package do exactly? Larry measured in their on video on YouTube that the Pulse Xfi has a THD+N measurement of 0.0009% at 90 kHz bandwidth (rounding up).

Yes... at what point do vanishingly low numbers start to be irrelevant to what we here?

I am really fighting with myself to decide whether it is even worth going for the $218 upgrade to Xfi from the X  that I have pledged for already. Is it really going to make a difference for me?

Dec 20, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #3,625 of 13,800
I am waiting for the Pulse xfi.  I'm going to hold with what I have (or more acurrately what I hope will be coming at some point).  Don't really feel the need to upgrade to the THD package.  Note really sure that my ears would be able to discern the difference.  AND I've already given LHL quite a bit of my money.

Dec 20, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #3,626 of 13,800

Yes... at what point do vanishingly low numbers start to be irrelevant to what we here?

I am really fighting with myself to decide whether it is even worth going for the $218 upgrade to Xfi from the X  that I have pledged for already. Is it really going to make a difference for me?

Just a heads up, the $218 X to Xfi upgrade will only be applicable if you are buying an SE...

"We'll only allow upgrades to Geek Pulse Xfi SE from Geek Pulse Xfi. If you haven't backed a Geek Pulse Xfi and you want to get yourself a Signature Edition, here's how you'll need to do to move up. We'll make a perk called, "Movin' On Up" in which you'll need to contribute the following"

Dec 20, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #3,627 of 13,800
They are way too confusing with their pricing.

Just a heads up, the $218 X to Xfi upgrade will only be applicable if you are buying an SE...

"We'll only allow upgrades to Geek Pulse Xfi SE from Geek Pulse Xfi. If you haven't backed a Geek Pulse Xfi and you want to get yourself a Signature Edition, here's how you'll need to do to move up. We'll make a perk called, "Movin' On Up" in which you'll need to contribute the following"

The way they wrote this, you don't know if you need to buy Xfi SE or not. Not the clearest post ever written.
confused_face(1).gif

Dec 20, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #3,629 of 13,800
  They are way too confusing with their pricing.

The way they wrote this, you don't know if you need to buy Xfi SE or not. Not the clearest post ever written.
confused_face(1).gif

Agreed

Still seems cheaper to upgrade from a Pulse though:
Pulse + "moving on up" Pulse Xfi + Pulse Xfi SE: $399 + $506 + $2489 = $3394
Pulse Xfi + Pulse Xfi SE: $1399 + $2489 = $3888

You save $494 if you want the Pulse Xfi SE, and will be upgrading from a Pulse rather than a Pulse Xfi. I'm not getting the Signature Edition, but thought it was interesting how the weird the pricing is. People who got the Xfi are being punished.

They should stop with all these perks and upgrades, and just focus solely on pushing out the products to current backers.

That being said, still excited about the Pulse Xfi though. Just not sure if I got the best deal.

Dec 20, 2014 at 3:12 PM Post #3,630 of 13,800

Yes, but there has been speculation on whether you "have" to buy the SE to be able to use the upgrade path..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back