Geek Pulse: Geek desktop DAC/AMP by Light Harmonics
Dec 19, 2014 at 8:48 AM Post #3,586 of 13,800
  So, with all this talk about the firmware being rough to start, and that updates are being planned, this does mean we're able to update it on our end right? We're not stuck sending a expensive piece of equipment back and forth everything a new update comes out right?

Quote:

It should be possible to update the firmware on our end.
Larry has mentioned that the SSM filter will be implemented in the future, which I think will likely come in a firmware update.

I would hope that the firmware could be updated by the end user, but Casey mentioned the following regarding a final firmware issue they are working through on the Pulse X, which has me thinking otherwise:

We found an issue and chose to resolve it before we sent out the units in order to bypass the hassle of having our users send them back to be flashed. 

Dec 19, 2014 at 8:59 AM Post #3,587 of 13,800
That was related to the bug where you have to lock the signal (play music) with USB connection before you can go and use the other inputs.

But I believe that just as it was with the GO and the release of formware 1v5... We are gonna be able to update the firmware ourselves. As far as I know, the Pulse uses the same driver interface we already installed with our GeekOut right?

Dec 19, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #3,588 of 13,800

I had a Geek Out 450 for a while.  I liked its clarity and definition, but in the end I found it to be colder than I'd like.  A friend of mine liked it better and I passed it away to him.  My initial impressions are that the Pulse is every bit as detailed, but more musical than the Out.  The Pulse seems to have more body and better musical flow.

[...] While it sounds very nice and clean, I miss the warmth of my Aune T1 with Philips PCC85 tube.  That said, the Pulse is really nice on its own.  There is some possibility that I will find it to be different, but not worse.  The jury is out.  But this possibility is high praise.  No other solid state has got to that in my main system.

This is great news to me, since I am liking my Geek Out 450 better than my Aune T1 even though I too appreciate a bit of warmth. So the Pulse Xfi should not disappoint :)
Thanks for the first impressions.

FWIW, the Aune can change a lot depending on the tube.  I went to over 10 tubes, before settling with the Phillips PCC85.  That said, you won't be disappointed indeed. :)

Dec 19, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #3,589 of 13,800
That was related to the bug where you have to lock the signal (play music) with USB connection before you can go and use the other inputs.

But I believe that just as it was with the GO and the release of formware 1v5... We are gonna be able to update the firmware ourselves. As far as I know, the Pulse uses the same driver interface we already installed with our GeekOut right?

Yes.  I installed the latest drive for the Geek Out.

Dec 19, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #3,592 of 13,800
  Headphones will begin shipping this week to China, Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Taiwan and Japan.   We're waiting on the delivery from HiFiMAN to our warehouse in California to begin fulfilling orders to our other backers.  

Audeze headphones will begin shipping in January.  

Would Australia be coming from the Hifiman also? would seem silly to ship from Asia to US then back to Australia.

Dec 19, 2014 at 11:46 AM Post #3,593 of 13,800
Dec 19, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #3,594 of 13,800

So, with all this talk about the firmware being rough to start, and that updates are being planned, this does mean we're able to update it on our end right? We're not stuck sending a expensive piece of equipment back and forth everything a new update comes out right?

I still got a couple days to decide if I want to back Pulse Xfi as my first balanced amp to go with my LCD-2's.

It should be possible to update the firmware on our end.
Larry has mentioned that the SSM filter will be implemented in the future, which I think will likely come in a firmware update.

I think SSM is already there.  I'll check when I get back home.  But there are four filters for sure.

BTW, what are the expected changes in switching filters?

Dec 19, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #3,595 of 13,800

I would hope that the firmware could be updated by the end user, but Casey mentioned the following regarding a final firmware issue they are working through on the Pulse X, which has me thinking otherwise:

The firmware on Pulse (all of them) will be user upgradeable. This issue Casey was talking about had to do with the Pulse x and x/f/i matrix board itself which had to be fixed in house and is not something that can be addressed over USB like other firmware updates.

Dec 19, 2014 at 4:01 PM Post #3,597 of 13,800

The firmware on Pulse (all of them) will be user upgradeable. This issue Casey was talking about had to do with the Pulse x and x/f/i matrix board itself which had to be fixed in house and is not something that can be addressed over USB like other firmware updates.

Awesome to hear, one less thing I need to worry about then.

I guess at this point it's a question if I really want to go with a solid state amp or not, have really only experienced tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back