Gaming: Sennheiser HD 280 Pro or Audio-Technica ATH-M50?
Sep 23, 2011 at 3:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Zerodanis

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I am looking for gaming headphones. I'm currently choosing between HD 280 Pro and ATH-M50. Which option would be better for gaming?

I've also heard that HD 280 has a cracking problem. Has it been fixed?

Sep 23, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #3 of 17
Heya,

Neither. Why would you want either of these headphones for gaming? They have cramped sound stages.

I imagine you need closed headphones for privacy, based on your choices here? Open and semi-open tend to have better sound stage and imaging for gaming specifically. If you're looking for closed headphones, I'd point you towards the Beyer DT770 PRO and Ultrasone HFI 580 for gaming in that price range. Otherwise, something like the D2000 at a higher tier for everything (including gaming). For open, if you consider it, I'd point you directly to the Fischer Audio FA-011, then DT880/DT990 or HD595/598 at higher costs depending on taste.

Very best,

Sep 23, 2011 at 3:36 PM Post #4 of 17

Quote:
Heya,

Neither. Why would you want either of these headphones for gaming? They have cramped sound stages.

I imagine you need closed headphones for privacy, based on your choices here? Open and semi-open tend to have better sound stage and imaging for gaming specifically. If you're looking for closed headphones, I'd point you towards the Beyer DT770 PRO and Ultrasone HFI 580 for gaming in that price range. Otherwise, something like the D2000 at a higher tier for everything (including gaming). For open, if you consider it, I'd point you directly to the Fischer Audio FA-011, then DT880/DT990 or HD595/598 at higher costs depending on taste.

Very best,

I won't care about the privacy while using the headphones as i'm going to use them at home. From your recommendation, I liked both HD595 and 598. Is there a huge difference between them? Considering the fact that i'm going to use them at home and don't care about isolation, a better option for me would be taking the open headphones (HD595/598)?

Sep 23, 2011 at 4:22 PM Post #6 of 17
Try the Samson SR 850, afaik they're amazing for gaming. I have the hd595 and they get the job done, plus i enjoy them for music. As long as you're staying home an open headphone is going to give you a much much better soundstage compared to a closed one.

Sep 23, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #7 of 17

Quote:
Try the Samson SR 850, afaik they're amazing for gaming. I have the hd595 and they get the job done, plus i enjoy them for music. As long as you're staying home an open headphone is going to give you a much much better soundstage compared to a closed one.

Thanks for the reply. I am now thinking whether to get an HD 595 or 598. Also, do I need to buy a decent sound card to enjoy the power of these headphones (HD595/598) or it is okay to plug it into the integrated sound card?

Sep 23, 2011 at 4:54 PM Post #8 of 17
the 595s do not need amping in the least bit, pretty much anything will run them, but amped they get a lot bassier (from my experience) So yes, they would be fine to plug straight into the comp

Sep 23, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #10 of 17
The 598 shouldn't need any amping either, as for the prices, ive found both within $10 of eachother, so just pick on which one you like the looks of, and I think there are a couple threads comparing the 595 vs 598. afaik they should be almost similar but i haven't actually compared the two

Sep 23, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #11 of 17
Heya,

Get the HD595 and a Xonar DG sound card. Very inexpensive and very boss way to get great audio and good gaming experience (Xonar DG has dolby headphone which will play a huge roll in your gaming). The HD598 is just a little different from the HD595. I wouldn't say it's better or worth the money specifically, more just a different sound, so it's more up to you and what you think you want. The HD598 has lots of mids and is otherwise a bright sennheiser, but doesn't have gobs of bass. If that doesn't sound like what you're after, then get the HD595 and you're set. Definitely get a Xonar DG or something similar, get off the onboard, the DG is only $30, and it's got a built in amplifier and has dolby headphone. That will take your experience way forward compared to onaboard with a nice set of headphones, especially while gaming.

Very best,

Sep 23, 2011 at 5:29 PM Post #12 of 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Definitely get a Xonar DG or something similar, get off the onboard, the DG is only $30, and it's got a built in amplifier and has dolby headphone. That will take your experience way forward compared to onaboard with a nice set of headphones, especially while gaming.

x2 the dolby headphone will be a great improvement, giving more of a surround sound from the headphones, i can't believe i didn't recommend one. (sorry if my post about them not needing amping was confusing, to clarify, they don't need amping to sound good but amping brings them to another level of awesome)

Sep 23, 2011 at 5:35 PM Post #13 of 17
The 598 are excellent for private gaming (in a quiet room) .. great comfort and soundstage .. very good details retrieval

No amping needed ,, but if you can get a Dolby Headphone/CMSS-3D Headphone Surround device like the Astro Mix amp or an external XFi sound card,  that would be nicer.

Sep 23, 2011 at 7:41 PM Post #14 of 17
I've been using the pc350's for almost 2 months, and i have been pleased with its performance on gaming. 

Sep 24, 2011 at 11:18 AM Post #15 of 17
Today I contacted our local dealer and they said that 595 is discontinued. My main concern now is whether to buy 598 or 558. I liked the design of the 595s so much that i'm now kind of miserable. Are 558 okay for gaming? Or maybe I just need to stick with the 598s? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back