Gaming + music + movies headphones
Aug 11, 2012 at 12:24 AM Post #16 of 25
Do you have dolby headphone technology on your soundcard/console? If so the HTF600 should be fine. It's great for both music and casual gaming. I find it completely fine for my competitive CoD games (hearing footsteps etc). The cons for me are it gets uncomfortable after about an hour, and the soundstage is quite small, even with dolby headphone. It's quite in your face so your ears could get tired quickly from the noise, I know mines do.

Aug 11, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #17 of 25
Quote:
I just read in some review that the bass on the Takstar ones sounds a bit low, yes. Thanks for the tip!

Anyway, on my research I found these ones: Samson SR850. Are these good enough? I can get them for around 35€. I see that you have ones, PurpleAngel. Any good?

Samson SR850, is a good value at it's price, you can use them for music, gaming & movies.
I added the AKG K204/241/270/271 Velour ear pads to my SR850

Aug 11, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #18 of 25
Quote:
Do you have dolby headphone technology on your soundcard/console? If so the HTF600 should be fine. It's great for both music and casual gaming. I find it completely fine for my competitive CoD games (hearing footsteps etc). The cons for me are it gets uncomfortable after about an hour, and the soundstage is quite small, even with dolby headphone. It's quite in your face so your ears could get tired quickly from the noise, I know mines do.

No, I don't. But I play to buy a Asus Xonar in the future, so would be even better than what I have now.

Quote:
Samson SR850, is a good value at it's price, you can use them for music, gaming & movies.
I added the AKG K204/241/270/271 Velour ear pads to my SR850

I'm still trying to decide myself between the Panasonic or the Samson. Can't figure out which one to buy... Anyone who tried both of them?

Aug 11, 2012 at 7:23 PM Post #20 of 25
Quote:
Sorry for double post. The more I search the more confused I get. Now I am between the Superlux HD-669 and the 668B and don't know which one to get for my needs...

Usually open (or Semi-open) headphones have better sound stage/surround sound.

Aug 15, 2012 at 10:07 AM Post #22 of 25
Quote:
I'm going for the 668B then people!

Thank you all for the replies!

Just another little question the Samson SR850 are the same as the 668B, right? Just rebanding?

There is actually one more difference:  The 668B has a higher impedance (from electrical resistors), and so it is more likely to require an amplifier to shine.  Otherwise, the sound could get a bit congested.  The SR850 has a much lower impedance, and it can be driven directly from a laptop or iPod (etc.) without an amp.

There are two tradeoffs with impedance though:  First, lower-impedance headphones may be more sensitive to signal/line noise, but that's more of a nitpicky concern for pro audio and high end audiophile headphones where perfection is the goal.  Second, lower-impedance headphones pair poorly with amps with a high output impedance, causing bloated mid-bass.  (The higher the impedance of the headphones, the less picky they are about an amp's output impedance...and the more picky they are about how much juice it can provide. :wink:)

Anyway, unless you're planning on buying an amp anyway to try out higher-impedance headphones, you should definitely go with the SR850 over the 668B, because it's likely to sound better straight from your source.  (As a side note, the HTF600 does not require an amp either.  Plugging it directly into your source is perfectly kosher.)

Aug 15, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #24 of 25
Quote:
I'm going for the 668B then people!

Thank you all for the replies!

Just another little question the Samson SR850 are the same as the 668B, right? Just rebanding?

DR850/HD668B
Both are made by Superlux.
The SR850 is 32-Ohm and the HD668B is 56-Ohm.
As headphones can range from 16-Ohm to 600-Ohm, both headphones would be considered low Ohm.
The HD668B has a detachable cable, the SR850 has a fix cable.
The SR850 head gear is copied after AKG, the HD668B headgear is copied from Audio Technica.
The cups on both headphones are the same size and shape.
Both headphones can use the same AKG K271 Velour ear pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back