Gaming headphones.
Aug 15, 2012 at 2:52 AM Post #31 of 46
YA i got some cash to spend, so time spoil myself a little.

Good to know on the requests, I will include that in the request when i submit the order to JDS tomorrow. Anything i can do to get the best out of these HD598s

I do game on the PC, which is why I'm going to get the sound card, it will offer me 7.1 when gaming (virtual 7.1 i know, but still okay with that) That is why i chose the sound card over a dedicated DAC

I have been reading about the ODA, but i cant find any info on when it actually will be out. It could be a month, it could be 5. But I do like the of it, the only thing i dont like about the O2 is that its more meant to be portable then a desktop type. and all i want is a desktop type. knowing me, i will probably buy the ODA when it comes out and either hold onto the O2 or sell it on here.

Aug 15, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #32 of 46
Well put my order in on JDS, and Mono Price, so should be receiving stuff soon. I will let you guys know once i get them my impressions and how everything works. I appreciate all the help. And i know this is now just going to start the upgrade bug even more and will start me down a dark dark path :)

Aug 15, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #33 of 46
Quote:
Well put my order in on JDS, and Mono Price, so should be receiving stuff soon. I will let you guys know once i get them my impressions and how everything works. I appreciate all the help. And i know this is now just going to start the upgrade bug even more and will start me down a dark dark path :)

Indeed... a very dark path. 

Aug 16, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #34 of 46
So turns out I have a little more money to spend then originally thought to. I have just enough to get the O2 + DAC combo instead of the O2. My question is 2 fold.

-For my purpose is it worth it?
-And if I do use the DAC is it possible to use the DSP features of my X-Fi like CMSS3D and Dolby headphone in conjunction with the external DAC built into the O2? That would be my only concern. Cause if I can't with the external DAC then there is no point for me to get it. But if I could, would the External DAC make a difference?

X-fi do Dolby headphone or CMSS3D -> external DAC -> HD598

Aug 16, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #35 of 46
Only if the DAC has S/PDIF input. You just connect the sound card's S/PDIF out to the DAC's S/PDIF in and enable "Play Stereo Mix using Digital Output" in the drivers. Pretty simple, and yes, CMSS-3D Headphone does get passed through.

USB DACs might actually work, but it's a method I've never really tested. You basically have to set the X-Fi's "What U Hear" (Stereo Mix) input to play back through the DAC output in the Windows 7 control panel. This might introduce some slight latency.

The only DAC I would expect an Objective2 to come with is the ODAC, which is USB-only. I still wouldn't really bother if you have the X-Fi card.

Aug 16, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #36 of 46
Thanks for the info. Ya the O2 + DAC only has 3.5mm and micro USB input in, so I will probably just stick with the standard O2 amp.

2 questions

-does anyone have any idea when the desktop O2 amp is suppose to be coming out. I think it's called the ODA. I would love that more then an O2.

- do I need to break in my HD 598s? If so, how would I go about that?

Thanks for all the help guys. I really do appreciate it!

Aug 16, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #37 of 46
Quote:
Thanks for the info. Ya the O2 + DAC only has 3.5mm and micro USB input in, so I will probably just stick with the standard O2 amp.
2 questions
-does anyone have any idea when the desktop O2 amp is suppose to be coming out. I think it's called the ODA. I would love that more then an O2.
- do I need to break in my HD 598s? If so, how would I go about that?
Thanks for all the help guys. I really do appreciate it!

Break in or burn in headphones
Put the headphones under a blanket for a few days with the volume higher then normal listening.
Music wise I prefer Metal for burn in.

Aug 17, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #38 of 46
LOL wow really? Does it matter if i burn/break them in like that, or will they break in with normal use. I don't mind if its better to break them in like that, Just curious. If thats what it takes i will do that, but was just curious if i should break them in. I guess i should start looking for Metal to play.

Also what does breaking them in do?

Aug 18, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #39 of 46
Quote:
LOL wow really? Does it matter if i burn/break them in like that, or will they break in with normal use. I don't mind if its better to break them in like that, Just curious. If thats what it takes i will do that, but was just curious if i should break them in. I guess i should start looking for Metal to play.

I think the general consensus is that breaking a headphone in will cause the diaphragm to move naturally, allowing it to have better pace, rhythm, and timing. Scientifically, the effects should be minimal. 

There is also a second type of burn-in: psychological burn-in. Your mind will gradually adapt to the flaws/strengths you hear from the 598. This to me affects how the mind will interpret music much more than the physical burn-in. 

Aug 18, 2012 at 12:26 AM Post #40 of 46
Quote:
LOL wow really? Does it matter if i burn/break them in like that, or will they break in with normal use. I don't mind if its better to break them in like that, Just curious. If that's what it takes i will do that, but was just curious if i should break them in. I guess i should start looking for Metal to play.

Break-in is just another way of saying burn-in.
If you want to burn them in thru normal use, that's fine.
Burn-in is not an exact science, some on Head-fi believe there is no "burn-in" for headphones, it's just your ears getting use to a new headphone or the ear pads are flatining.

Aug 18, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #41 of 46
Interesting Stuff. I have been around on the Video side of things with breaking in, and plasma tvs. Owned a bunch of plasma tvs and know the whole debate on breakin those in or not.

I dont see the harm in "breaking in" these headphones with Metal and a blanket. I waited long enough, might as well do everything I can now. Though i do have a couple of questions:

How long should i be playing them at a time when breaking them in? 24/7? couple hours? 
Where can i find some metal music to break them in?

Aug 18, 2012 at 12:43 AM Post #42 of 46
Quote:
Interesting Stuff. I have been around on the Video side of things with breaking in, and plasma tvs. Owned a bunch of plasma tvs and know the whole debate on breakin those in or not.

I dont see the harm in "breaking in" these headphones with Metal and a blanket. I waited long enough, might as well do everything I can now. Though i do have a couple of questions:

How long should i be playing them at a time when breaking them in? 24/7? couple hours? 
Where can i find some metal music to break them in?

If I were you, I'd rather just listen to them right away. People talk about needing to burn in the K701 for 300+ hours but I think that's just an excuse to cover up how unnatural they sound, until people psychologically adapt to the sound signature. Don't even fret. Very few people even consider the 598 to need any burn-in because it sounds fantastic out of the box. I personally thought the bass was slightly lacking at first but now I don't. Can't tell if it's because of physical burn-in or psychological burn-in. 

Jul 10, 2013 at 2:51 AM Post #43 of 46
For music the hd598 does benefit form an amp i don't think you would see a change for gaming, computers give a fairly good supply for them, people analyze music a lot more so the slight changes are noticed. An amp may improve the sound for gaming but i don't think it would be enough to matter/ effect your experience. They are great cans :) haven't heard the dt990.

How do 50 ohms headphones compete with 600 ohms headphones. I have always wondered that. Like shouldn't something that requires so much more power, if designed right, be better overall? So how do you get something like the HD598s which require such little power compete against the 600 ohms DT990. Always wondered that.

@steven Well my plan is to use these headphones on consoles and PC, and on both i will be using some sort of Virtual Surround sound (CMSS3D, Dolby Headphone, THX try-studio, i still don't know which one is better) so i will not be listening to music. Its a valid question, and one i didn't think of, but ya i will be listening to the game audio, and no music.

Would the HD598s benefit from a e11 or e17 if i am using the Mixamp pro? or at that point is there no need because the mixamp is more then enough?

How would a E11 or E17 work in conjunction with a mixamp pro? would it be console-->mixamp--->e11/17--->DT990 600 ohms? would i loose the virtual 7.1 of the mixamp if i use the e11/17

sorry for all the questions, im sorta getting a crash course in all of this so there is just so much for me to soak up.

I think I am leaning towards the HD598s since it seems like i would get an overall big picture better sound reproduction on them, where as the only that the DT990 would win at is deeper bass. atleast thats what i have taken away from it. 

Jul 10, 2013 at 3:01 AM Post #44 of 46
Do you know of any home audio sites like this?

Thanks for all the help guys! I just placed my order:

HD598
X-fi titanium HD
3.5 interconnect cord
6ft toslink cable
02 amp plus cord and feet
Astro mixamp

I'm really stoked for the order. I will let u all know what my impressions are.

Are there any special instructions I should tell JDS for the o2 amp for use with my hd598s? Like on the order screen u can add special notes for them. Of will stock build work fine?

My plan is astro mixamp on consoles. Then on PC, x-fi 3.5mm to -->O2 amp input to -->HD598. Will that amp screw with the dolby headphone or CMMS 3D output of the soundcard?

Thanks again guys I really do appreciate the help.

Now to work on buying my first home theater setup.

Jul 10, 2013 at 3:03 AM Post #45 of 46
The shiit modi set up is supposedly amazing, 200 dollar amp dac combo

YA i got some cash to spend, so time spoil myself a little.

Good to know on the requests, I will include that in the request when i submit the order to JDS tomorrow. Anything i can do to get the best out of these HD598s

I do game on the PC, which is why I'm going to get the sound card, it will offer me 7.1 when gaming (virtual 7.1 i know, but still okay with that) That is why i chose the sound card over a dedicated DAC

I have been reading about the ODA, but i cant find any info on when it actually will be out. It could be a month, it could be 5. But I do like the of it, the only thing i dont like about the O2 is that its more meant to be portable then a desktop type. and all i want is a desktop type. knowing me, i will probably buy the ODA when it comes out and either hold onto the O2 or sell it on here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back