Gaming headphones.
Aug 12, 2012 at 9:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

Alderaan Rise

Previously known as CaliLife17
Long time lurker, just registered to ask all you very informed people. Long story short I want to get some really nice gaming headphones for my consoles and PC. And so the GF doesn't yell at me when I'm playing and she is trying to sleep :)

Long story short. I first started looking at astro a40s but I kept reading and then said maybe a50s. Then more research and found pc360. Read some more and found the hd598s. Was all set to get the HD598s with an Astro Mixamp Pro but then i stumbled upon a forum here read about the beyerdynamic DT990s. And I hear good things about both HD598s and the DT990. I see there is both pro and premium with pro being more bass heavy. But what is the difference between the 32/250/600 ohms (sorry still a noob) versions besides needing a better amp to drive them.

I play FPS, RPG, action, adventure, racing, sport video games. So I play a lot of different type of video games. I hear the DT990s since they are more base heavy u don't hear as much as the 598s.like they are not as crisp. Is that true? I want to be able to get the most clear crisp and pleasing sound I can. I am 27, so bass is something I like, BUT only when done right. I'm
No beats by dre fan. But I do like some oomph to and explosion, and not have it be week. I also would like to have like range on my headphones do they can pick up the highs and lows. Cover a wide area of sounds, if that makes sense. Have it sound full and rich.

Reason I was thinking the mixamp pro was because I would be able to get simulated 7.1 on the 360/pc/ps3. But it seems it's pretty week and only does 32 ohms. Is there any more powerful amps out there that can also give me that simulated 7.1 for my headphones

With this being my first major headphone purchase I just want to get everyone's input and as much info as possible. Sorry for the long post, and thanks for any input I could offer.

Aug 12, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #3 of 46
Quote:
Long time lurker, just registered to ask all you very informed people. Long story short I want to get some really nice gaming headphones for my consoles and PC. And so the GF doesn't yell at me when I'm playing and she is trying to sleep
smily_headphones1.gif

Long story short. I first started looking at astro a40s but I kept reading and then said maybe a50s. Then more research and found pc360. Read some more and found the hd598s. Was all set to get the HD598s with an Astro Mixamp Pro but then i stumbled upon a forum here read about the beyerdynamic DT990s. And I hear good things about both HD598s and the DT990. I see there is both pro and premium with pro being more bass heavy. But what is the difference between the 32/250/600 ohms (sorry still a noob) versions besides needing a better amp to drive them.
I play FPS, RPG, action, adventure, racing, sport video games. So I play a lot of different type of video games. I hear the DT990s since they are more base heavy u don't hear as much as the 598s.like they are not as crisp. Is that true? I want to be able to get the most clear crisp and pleasing sound I can. I am 27, so bass is something I like, BUT only when done right. I'm
No beats by dre fan. But I do like some oomph to and explosion, and not have it be week. I also would like to have like range on my headphones do they can pick up the highs and lows. Cover a wide area of sounds, if that makes sense. Have it sound full and rich.
Reason I was thinking the mixamp pro was because I would be able to get simulated 7.1 on the 360/pc/ps3. But it seems it's pretty week and only does 32 ohms. Is there any more powerful amps out there that can also give me that simulated 7.1 for my headphones
With this being my first major headphone purchase I just want to get everyone's input and as much info as possible. Sorry for the long post, and thanks for any input I could offer.

The Astro mix-amp should be ok with the DT990 pro 250-Ohm, as long as you do not used the Mix-amps mic function.
You do know the DT990 are open headphones (with full bass & full treble), but should be OK if someone is sleeping in another room with the doors closed.
The HD598 (open headphone) will be a more balanced sound not as much bass or treble as the DT990
Does your PC have an optical output and built in DDL (Dolby Digital live)? which you need to work with the Mix-amp.

Aug 12, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #4 of 46
What do you need and whats suits you?

Do you need a mic?
Do you mind them bieng openback? (allowing sound to escape) - girlfriend sleep - so no. that's the beyer's checked off the list and any open backs
Do you competativly game at a high level? (probaly not nobody on this forum does)
What is your price budget?

If you don't need a Mic then just go for the best recommended headphones for audio/music quality - but make sure they have a good soundstage 

Aug 12, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #5 of 46
Open back is fine. The head phones are more so I don't have the home audio system going at night that bothers her.

I am competitive when I game, but no I am not trying to be in the MLG or anything. I do not need a mic, since i do not normally talk when I play online.

@Miniq sorry still a noob what do u mean soundstage?

@purpleangel really u think they would still work on the 250 ohms one? I won't be using a mic. That 32ohms is not to low? I need to get a sound card for my computer, so I can make sure it has that.

Are there any other amps that would give me the virtual surround 7.1 on the consoles like the mixamp pro?

What are people's impressions of the hd598 vs DT990 pro/premium. Like I said since this is my first purchase I just want to get it right

Aug 12, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #6 of 46
Quote:
Open back is fine. The head phones are more so I don't have the home audio system going at night that bothers her.
I am competitive when I game, but no I am not trying to be in the MLG or anything. I do not need a mic, since i do not normally talk when I play online.
@Miniq sorry still a noob what do u mean soundstage?
@purpleangel really u think they would still work on the 250 ohms one? I won't be using a mic. That 32ohms is not to low? I need to get a sound card for my computer, so I can make sure it has that.
Are there any other amps that would give me the virtual surround 7.1 on the consoles like the mixamp pro?
What are people's impressions of the hd598 vs DT990 pro/premium. Like I said since this is my first purchase I just want to get it right

These cans are purely for gaming correct? 

Anyways I think I've heard enough complaint about the DT990 to be a bit wary of buying them. I've never heard them personally however. If you're playing FPS most of the time, and you want the competitive edge, obviously the 598 will get you far. The AD700 is just as good, a cheaper alternative, but lacking in bass compared to the 598. 

If you're looking into the Beyerdynamic cans, get at least a 250 ohm. Heard the 32 ohm is awful. The 600 ohm will be too much for the astro mixamp to handle, I believe. And for music in general, you'll need a separate amp for sure. The 598 is very versatile in this regard, not needing an amp, but still sounds godly imo. 

On the consoles, Turtle Beach offers an alternative to the mixamp pro. I do not know how well it performs, though to be safe, I'd rather just go with the mixamp. 

In addition, no headphones get "bass" right. Not even something like the LCD-2, mainly because of design. Bass should affect your whole body, rumbling the cavities in our body. That's what bass is supposed to be like. With that said, you'll sometimes hear that the DT990 has too much bass and HD 598 has too little bass (most people say neutral in quantity). I don't know about the DT990 but considering the soundstage size of the 598, it actually has VERY good bass quantity. Cans like the Q701/ AD700, which have bigger soundstage - a bit unnaturally big - barely have any bass in comparison. 

Aug 13, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #7 of 46
@nimbleturtle Thanks for all the input! Yes these cans will be pretty much strictly for gaming. If i went Beyerdynamic, and got a e11 or e17 would that be enough to power the 600 ohms version? Also would the HD598s benfit from an E11 or E17 fiio?

Ya I am really torn between the HD598 and DT990. But it sounds like i might get an overall better experience and more full experience with the HD598s where as the DT990 will just give me better bass but not a better experience? How does the HD598 compare to the 600 ohms DT990?

Aug 13, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #8 of 46
Quote:
@nimbleturtle Thanks for all the input! Yes these cans will be pretty much strictly for gaming. If i went Beyerdynamic, and got a e11 or e17 would that be enough to power the 600 ohms version? Also would the HD598s benfit from an E11 or E17 fiio?

Ya I am really torn between the HD598 and DT990. But it sounds like i might get an overall better experience and more full experience with the HD598s where as the DT990 will just give me better bass but not a better experience? How does the HD598 compare to the 600 ohms DT990?

Stick with the HD598 (50-Ohm), so much easier to drive then 600-Ohm headphones.

Aug 13, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #9 of 46
One thing i find unclear when people mention they need something for gaming is:

Do you listen to music when gaming???? Maybe if you were playing CS1.6 or any game requiring communication I can understand that no music is probably the best, but say for a game like BF3 where a lot of times it's just run and gun, i'd imagine many would be listening to music at the same time! 

Not exactly sure if this is something that will affect what kind of recommendations you are getting, but putting it out there. 
tongue.gif

Aug 13, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #10 of 46
How do 50 ohms headphones compete with 600 ohms headphones. I have always wondered that. Like shouldn't something that requires so much more power, if designed right, be better overall? So how do you get something like the HD598s which require such little power compete against the 600 ohms DT990. Always wondered that.

@steven Well my plan is to use these headphones on consoles and PC, and on both i will be using some sort of Virtual Surround sound (CMSS3D, Dolby Headphone, THX try-studio, i still don't know which one is better) so i will not be listening to music. Its a valid question, and one i didn't think of, but ya i will be listening to the game audio, and no music.

Would the HD598s benefit from a e11 or e17 if i am using the Mixamp pro? or at that point is there no need because the mixamp is more then enough?

How would a E11 or E17 work in conjunction with a mixamp pro? would it be console-->mixamp--->e11/17--->DT990 600 ohms? would i loose the virtual 7.1 of the mixamp if i use the e11/17

sorry for all the questions, im sorta getting a crash course in all of this so there is just so much for me to soak up.

I think I am leaning towards the HD598s since it seems like i would get an overall big picture better sound reproduction on them, where as the only that the DT990 would win at is deeper bass. atleast thats what i have taken away from it. 

Aug 13, 2012 at 1:44 AM Post #11 of 46
Quote:
How do 50 ohms headphones compete with 600 ohms headphones. I have always wondered that. Like shouldn't something that requires so much more power, if designed right, be better overall? So how do you get something like the HD598s which require such little power compete against the 600 ohms DT990. Always wondered that.

@steven Well my plan is to use these headphones on consoles and PC, and on both i will be using some sort of Virtual Surround sound (CMSS3D, Dolby Headphone, THX try-studio, i still don't know which one is better) so i will not be listening to music. Its a valid question, and one i didn't think of, but ya i will be listening to the game audio, and no music.

Would the HD598s benefit from a e11 or e17 if i am using the Mixamp pro? or at that point is there no need because the mixamp is more then enough?

How would a E11 or E17 work in conjunction with a mixamp pro? would it be console-->mixamp--->e11/17--->DT990 600 ohms? would i loose the virtual 7.1 of the mixamp if i use the e11/17

sorry for all the questions, im sorta getting a crash course in all of this so there is just so much for me to soak up.

I think I am leaning towards the HD598s since it seems like i would get an overall big picture better sound reproduction on them, where as the only that the DT990 would win at is deeper bass. atleast thats what i have taken away from it. 

People that are will to spend $270 for 600-Ohm headphone are more likely to spend $250 on an nice tube amplifier (Little Dot MKIII) that can drive them really well.
Sennheiser might have been willing to spend the cash to design a headphone diaphragm that is lighter and therefore works great with less voltage.
The Astro mix-amp is fine on it's own for driving 50-Ohm (HD598) headphones.

Aug 13, 2012 at 2:05 AM Post #12 of 46
Quote:

If you mean driving them to loud volumes, yes the E11/ E17 should be good enough to power the 600 ohms version, for music and for gaming. Should be, but I don't know for certain. The HD 598 would benefit from a E11 / E17 but you don't need one for gaming, just for music. 

What will determine whether you'll enjoy the 598 more or DT990 more will be your background, what headphones you've used, what kind of music you listen to, etc. No one can determine this for you. I felt the HD 598 was lacking in bass at first, primarily because I was using bass heavy earbuds prior. My brain looked out more for bass, rather than other admirable qualities of the 598 (midrange, treble, soundstage, etc.). So I don't know which one you'll enjoy more. However, the hd598 definitely is a better competitive gaming headphone, by far. 

High impedance (100+ ohms) cans are not necessarily better than low impedance cans (x<32 ohms). On dynamic headphones, it's true that it's easier to design a superior headphone with higher impedance (thinner wire around the voice coil, lighter diaphragm,etc.) but they are not superior "electronically", but if you can properly drive them, the diaphragm will respond more quickly. Low impedance cans can be just as good; for instance, look at the planar magnetic headphones like Audeze LCD-2 or HE-6, which are all considered one of the best headphones in the world. 

High impedance: need MORE voltage, LESS current                    Low impedance:need MORE current, LESS voltage 

There is an article on this website explaining all this clearly. Don't know where to find it though. 

Aug 13, 2012 at 2:23 AM Post #13 of 46
I wouldnt worry about how so much they sound if they're just for gaming, and just find something comfortable and easily driven. Either 990/598 should be a good choice, but if you game long sessions and the phone you chose isnt pillow soft all the time, it will become aggravating quickly. Realize.. each game can have a dramatic effect on a headphones signature wise. Meaning my M50's on Black Ops sounded dramatically different than MW3. Always a blast to listen to though regardless. Soundstage can play a role, especially in they way you hear special effects which can be life or death in some games

Aug 13, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #14 of 46
So from all the great input from everyone i think i am going to get the HD598 over the DT990s. Seems the soundstage is better which will help with gaming, and it sounds like it will give me a more clearer sound, and voices (in game characters talking, not humans talking over voice chat) should sound better. I play ALOT of RPGS, JRPGS so i want to be able to hear the dialogue and get immersed in the world. I am also going to get a Mixamp Pro so i can use it on my consoles and get dolby headphone for that simulated 7.1 sound. Do you guys think its worth it to get a fiio to pair with the mixamp for console use. I dont mind paying the price of the fiio, just wondering if you think i would benefit from it. Also seems like i could wait and see what the e19 (upgrade to e17) or the e90k (upgrade to e9) have to offer when they are released. But i dont mind getting an amp now like the e11 or e17 if you think it would help.
-How would i hook the amp up with the mixamp and headphone?
-With an e11/17 being used, would i still be able to get dolby headphone 7.1 from the mixamp? 

@nimbleturtle I will probably also down the road start using these for music too since i really haven't owned a nice pair. Really the probably "nicest" pair i have owned are apple in the ear headphones, which i know aren't great, and im not going to act like what i have owned is really any good. I really have not owned a nice pair of headphones, so i wouldn't know what nice music sounds like if it hit me. I listen to rock, rap, hip hop, classical rock, alternative, R&B, folk, country. I listen to good amount of music. I really don't listen to too much classical type music. For music what would you prefer the DT990s or the HD598s? I am a generation of loud music. Though if it helps, i find subwoofers in cars ridiculous and unnecessary. So I dont need like CRAZY bass like that.

Also just curious why would music require an amp more then gaming? does music have that much more hear, which is why a better amp is needed, more sounds to cover?

Also I am going to get a soundcard for my computer. looks like ppl either prefer Essences STX or Xifi titanium HD. it looks like the STX has a headphone amp, where as the Xifi does not. Would i benefit in using either the e11/17 or the e9 in conjuction with one of those soundcards.

I want to say a big thank you to everyone who has responded and answered all my noob questions. I really do appreciate the knowledge and time you all have put it to help me out with this. and also a thank you to everyone who responds after this, i appreciate every and all input.

now to plan my setup :)

Aug 13, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #15 of 46
Quote:
So from all the great input from everyone i think i am going to get the HD598 over the DT990s. Seems the soundstage is better which will help with gaming, and it sounds like it will give me a more clearer sound, and voices (in game characters talking, not humans talking over voice chat) should sound better. I play ALOT of RPGS, JRPGS so i want to be able to hear the dialogue and get immersed in the world. I am also going to get a Mixamp Pro so i can use it on my consoles and get dolby headphone for that simulated 7.1 sound. Do you guys think its worth it to get a fiio to pair with the mixamp for console use. I dont mind paying the price of the fiio, just wondering if you think i would benefit from it. Also seems like i could wait and see what the e19 (upgrade to e17) or the e90k (upgrade to e9) have to offer when they are released. But i dont mind getting an amp now like the e11 or e17 if you think it would help.
-How would i hook the amp up with the mixamp and headphone?
-With an e11/17 being used, would i still be able to get dolby headphone 7.1 from the mixamp? 

@nimbleturtle I will probably also down the road start using these for music too since i really haven't owned a nice pair. Really the probably "nicest" pair i have owned are apple in the ear headphones, which i know aren't great, and im not going to act like what i have owned is really any good. I really have not owned a nice pair of headphones, so i wouldn't know what nice music sounds like if it hit me. I listen to rock, rap, hip hop, classical rock, alternative, R&B, folk, country. I listen to good amount of music. I really don't listen to too much classical type music. For music what would you prefer the DT990s or the HD598s? I am a generation of loud music. Though if it helps, i find subwoofers in cars ridiculous and unnecessary. So I dont need like CRAZY bass like that.

Also just curious why would music require an amp more then gaming? does music have that much more hear, which is why a better amp is needed, more sounds to cover?

Also I am going to get a soundcard for my computer. looks like ppl either prefer Essences STX or Xifi titanium HD. it looks like the STX has a headphone amp, where as the Xifi does not. Would i benefit in using either the e11/17 or the e9 in conjuction with one of those soundcards.

I want to say a big thank you to everyone who has responded and answered all my noob questions. I really do appreciate the knowledge and time you all have put it to help me out with this. and also a thank you to everyone who responds after this, i appreciate every and all input.

now to plan my setup :)

For gaming strictly, you don't need a separate amp for the 598. Reason being, the mixamp is an amp, hence the name mixAMP :) HD598 is not only low impedance, it has very good sensitivity (ability to drive large volumes of sound) so the mixamp drives it just fine in terms of volume. 

Getting the Fiio E9 for the HD598 is not a good idea. This has to do with the high output impedance of the E9 (10 ohms), which means it only pairs up well with high impedance cans. A bit inflexible if you ask me. I would never buy one. The E17 on the other hand not only performs well, but it is very portable and is amp/dac. I recommend it but there are other great options as well, which you should look into. Sometimes a soundcard is its own amp. To be honest, I don't know **** about soundcards so you're going to ask someone else. If you're getting a soundcard though, there would be little point in getting a separate DAC. Instead, you'd just want an amp, in which case the E11 performs just as well (if not better) than the E17 in that department. 

And as for which one you'd prefer for music, I do not know. But I'll take the hd598 over the dt990 anyday. The dt990 is simply not as diverse with genres like the 598. I actually do not know any headphone that is as diverse as the HD598, if you consider how great it is for gaming, music, and practically any genre. Metal music and any type of music that requires a lot of speed will not be as enjoyable with the HD598. But for anything else, I find it superb. Look if you want, I'll send you a list of comments people have made about the 598. Just pm me your email. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back