Gaming Cans? (NOT for positional audio).
Sep 14, 2011 at 12:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

evtron

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

Currently in the market for a pair of headphones that I can use everyday for gaming. I don't want to put any extra wear and tear on my ATH-AD2000s or my recabled woody Denon D2000's. Also I already have a pair of ATH-AD700s for positional audio FPS like CS and the likes.

I'm interested in something for involved games coming out where immersive ambient and detailed sounds and music is going to be key to giving you the visceral feeling of being in the world : like Elder Scrolls : Skyrim, MMOs like SW:TOR coming out, and more games along those lines. 

I need something that's going to be really comfortable, have a good expansive soundstage, and have a lot of attention to detail and just sound full bodied and great. 

Right now the can that tops my list for this is the Beyer Dynamic DT880 600ohm. I'm going to be running most of the games through my PC/DAC/AMP so I think they will be fine. Budget is around $300

Any other suggestions? Thanks so much!

Sep 14, 2011 at 3:28 AM Post #3 of 8

I was not going to suggest the AKG k701, just reading the thread out of interest..
But then i saw what you are looking for:

Quote:
I'm interested in something for involved games coming out where immersive ambient and detailed sounds and music is going to be key to giving you the visceral feeling of being in the world

I have to say that for ambient and detailed sounds, the AKG K701 really shine! And if you are a little drunk yourself it's even better
k701smile.gif
it amazes me everytime :)

I donno about the games you mention though.. I haven't played those.

Sep 14, 2011 at 5:20 AM Post #5 of 8
Fischer Audio FA-011 like MalVeauX suggested, i've been looking at these too and i'm thinking of giving them a go. for the price they're very low risk.

Sep 14, 2011 at 6:07 AM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
Fischer Audio FA-011 like MalVeauX suggested, i've been looking at these too and i'm thinking of giving them a go. for the price they're very low risk.

Heya,

Just something to add, they're not a risk at all, they're the real deal. Excellent headphone. They're well represented around here and talked about, but I still think they're under appreciated as way too often a different, inferior, headphone gets listed all the time for gaming. The FA-011 is great for movies, music and games, all around excellent. Good imaging, good sound stage, excellent full body sound. And wood back. All for a very attractive price. Can't go wrong at all. And even if one changes their mind, these things re-sale the day they are posted basically.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back