Galaxy S9/S9+ audio quality
Mar 28, 2018 at 6:28 AM Post #76 of 140
I have the galaxy s9 exynos since the middle of march now. There is as good as no hiss audible with my (16 ohm) hidizs ep-3 in ear´s. And it can drive very easily my sennheiser hd 700 headphone, i find it sounds vivid and colorful. I dont think, that there is much frequency bending, at least i cant hear it at all. I dont use anything of samsung´s own dsp:uhq upscaler, tube amplifier pro, concert hall, adapt sound, dolby atmos.

I think uhq upscaler somehow makes the sound strange... i dont know what to say about it. Somehow it do make the audio clearer, but at the same way, it do make the sound somehow strange.

I dont understand the effekt of tube amplifier pro, i dont like concert hall. adapt sound do produce as a negative sideeffekt definitely audible hiss on rather quieter music.

I do use the neutron app. in high res codec mode, the app do say 24bit, 48 khz and 192 khz is avaiable. But there seems to be very much resample. In fact, everything else except of tracks with 48 and 192 khz, seems to be resampled by neutron to 48 khz. I can only say, what neutron is displaying. But it is possilbe in neutron, to set the resample for everything to 192 khz.

I can easily use the chord mojo with samsung galaxy s9. Neutron seems to just give everything "bit perfect" to chord mojo. i tested everything: 44 khz, 48 khz, 88 khz, 96 khz, 176 khz, 192 khz, 352 khz. dsd 64, dsd 128, dsd 256. At least Mojo displayed everytime the correct color.

I have always dither and AGP active in the neutron settings, eq always flat. And i am not an audiophile by any means.

And poor recorded audiobooks do sound indeed better with dolby atmos and uhq upscaler.

And the Stereo Speakers. I dont know. The bass is rather not so good. Songs from performers like Katie Melua and Nora Jones do sound rather good at all. But songs with big bands and much noise do sound rather worse.

I dont know about dolby atmos. It is sometimes good and sometimes rather not so good on youtube, movies and so on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 28, 2018 at 7:36 AM Post #77 of 140
I have the galaxy s9 exynos since the middle of march now. There is as good as no hiss audible with my (16 ohm) hidizs ep-3 in ear´s. And it can drive very easily my sennheiser hd 700 headphone, i find it sounds vivid and colorful. I dont think, that there is much frequency bending, at least i cant hear it at all. I dont use anything of samsung´s own dsp:uhq upscaler, tube amplifier pro, concert hall, adapt sound, dolby atmos.

I think uhq upscaler somehow makes the sound strange... i dont know what to say about it. Somehow it do make the audio clearer, but at the same way, it do make the sound somehow strange.

I dont understand the effekt of tube amplifier pro, i dont like concert hall. adapt sound do produce as a negative sideeffekt definitely audible hiss on rather quieter music.

I do use the neutron app. in high res codec mode, the app do say 24bit, 48 khz and 192 khz is avaiable. But there seems to be very much resample. In fact, everything else except of tracks with 48 and 192 khz, seems to be resampled by neutron to 48 khz. I can only say, what neutron is displaying. But it is possilbe in neutron, to set the resample for everything to 192 khz.

I can easily use the chord mojo with samsung galaxy s9. Neutron seems to just give everything "bit perfect" to chord mojo. i tested everything: 44 khz, 48 khz, 88 khz, 96 khz, 176 khz, 192 khz, 352 khz. dsd 64, dsd 128, dsd 256. At least Mojo displayed everytime the correct color.

I have always dither and AGP active in the neutron settings, eq always flat. And i am not an audiophile by any means.

And poor recorded audiobooks do sound indeed better with dolby atmos and uhq upscaler.

And the Stereo Speakers. I dont know. The bass is rather not so good. Songs from performers like Katie Melua and Nora Jones do sound rather good at all. But songs with big bands and much noise do sound rather worse.

I dont know about dolby atmos. It is sometimes good and sometimes rather not so good on youtube, movies and so on.

Thank you for this!

Any comparison with the iPhone?

Mar 28, 2018 at 9:46 AM Post #78 of 140
On the bright side, I'm more than happy with the output from the headphone jack on mine, added in with my bad luck or whatever you wish to call it with USB C OTG, makes me happy to go naked.

Use the upsample option and custom EQ with all the sliders up and the S9+ is a surprisingly capable phone. The v30 has it on raw SQ but its output is also unreliable. I don't miss the v30 anymore.

Plus, dat camera...

Mar 29, 2018 at 9:28 PM Post #80 of 140
One of the main reasons I wanted this phone was because of the support for LDAC. It does not disappoint. LDAC with the Sony WH-1000XM2 is sweet. I've been using this more than my HD650 lately. Basically lossless wireless sound.

I know LDAC is available on basically any new Android with Oreo on it, but the S9+ was my choice for other reasons as well.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2018 at 3:04 PM Post #81 of 140
Definitely chiming in to say turn off the upscaling. I realized it was making the bass too bloomy on my headphones. Just leaving everything stock now.

Apr 3, 2018 at 4:24 PM Post #82 of 140
Definitely chiming in to say turn off the upscaling. I realized it was making the bass too bloomy on my headphones. Just leaving everything stock now.

I leave everything off as well. I do use the EQ though.

Apr 5, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #83 of 140
I would wait for the software that can unleash the power of S9's DAC before I would rate it. It's surely another iteration of Cirrus'es DAC/amp chip used in Exynos S7 and S8.
And therefore the difference between standard music players (like samsung music) and music player like Poweramp (or JetAudio in some cases) that bypass all the Android software and plays directly through dac/amp chip is noticable.

Apr 6, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #86 of 140
How does the SQ compare to the HTC One A9/10 ?

I presently have the HTC One A9 absolutely love the SQ via headphones but the phone is showing its age in all other departments.I would like a flagship phone with AT LEAST the same SQ as the A9. LG V 30 is the obvious choice but LG build quality is horrific(bootloop etc.) and the screen has a bluish tint as well.Also I don't have any high impedence headphones and am not into neutral/flat monitor type sounds ,of my modest collection of headphones I like HP 598/PX 100 II but not Audio Technica M40X so much.

So the question is a simple one.Will the S9+ exynos version with a neutron player sound as good if not better than the HTC One A9 ?

May 1, 2018 at 10:19 AM Post #88 of 140
So is anyone else having issues with their S9 connecting to/staying connected to other devices? I seem to be the only one chiming in here, but I've seen people mention problems over on XDA and Samsung's support forums. I'd like to know whether this is a problem that got cleared up after launch (my phone is from launch), or if there's some underlying issue. I & many others bought this for the headphone jack, of course, but I also want the flexibility to use Bluetooth when I want.

May 1, 2018 at 9:00 PM Post #89 of 140
No problem here. I got my S9+ at launch and use it with Bluetooth very often and it's always worked fine. And LDAC sounds amazing.

So is anyone else having issues with their S9 connecting to/staying connected to other devices? I seem to be the only one chiming in here, but I've seen people mention problems over on XDA and Samsung's support forums. I'd like to know whether this is a problem that got cleared up after launch (my phone is from launch), or if there's some underlying issue. I & many others bought this for the headphone jack, of course, but I also want the flexibility to use Bluetooth when I want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back