Galaxy S9/S9+ audio quality
Mar 16, 2018 at 3:12 PM Post #46 of 140
Probably in my head, but after the latest update, I swear the Exynos version, with PowerAmp Alpha sounds punchier, a pretty damned good combination with the AK T8ie MKii in tow, would be good to get other people's thoughts.

Mar 17, 2018 at 3:52 PM Post #47 of 140
S9+ sounds awesome with my Sony WH-1000XM2 with LDAC. Also sounds just fine with the AKG earbuds I have from my old S8. I'm assuming the ones that came with the S9 are the same exact earbuds from last year's S8.

Mar 22, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #49 of 140
I've had this phone for a week or so now and I'm pretty pleased with it. I love the audio on the V30, but I can't stand to use it as a daily driver phone anymore (the camera is hugely, preposterously inferior to the S9 camera in every way) so I am happy that the S9+ will do. I'm getting really nice audio quality with my Shure SE846 and no noticeable hiss. There are a lot of software gimmicks on the audio front, though. I leave them all disabled and sound is very clean.

What's really driving me nuts is I am dying to know if the Exynos is far superior to the Snapdragon. The Exynos as far as we know uses the Cirrus DAC, while the North American Snapdragon variant uses Qualcomm Aqstic (same as in the HTC10 I think). Audio quality sounds good to me, volume is definitely acceptable, but there's that feeling of the grass is greener on the Exynos side that is keeping me awake at night :)

-Collin-

Mar 22, 2018 at 7:20 PM Post #50 of 140
Importantly, Anyone compared their Samsung S9 / S9+ with Adapt Sound configured and/or Dolby Atmos on vs. others?

I feel you must judge the 'complete package' of sorts vs. just the DAC.

Mar 22, 2018 at 8:55 PM Post #51 of 140
Hi has anyone compared the s9 to the iPhone 7 Plus sound wise? I own the 7 plus and find it fairly neutral. So to me it actually let’s the IEMS predict the SQ. And with my Empire Ears Apollo which are very sensitive, there is absolutely no hiss. That I can hear anyways but my ears are old lol I’m very interested in switching back to android and love the looks of the new s9. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Mar 23, 2018 at 2:18 AM Post #52 of 140
The bigger point, is Exynos Vs SnapDragon...

I can tell you that since receiving my Exynos version two weeks ago, that it has become my daily driver, leaving my iPhone X to merely email duties (remembering that 7, 8 and X iPhones should sound the same, if using the dongle), sounds punchy, dynamic...

That being said, really don't like the Dolby Atmos feature, yuck!

Mar 23, 2018 at 3:22 PM Post #53 of 140
Coming from the v30...

With the HQ mode on and the custom EQ with everything bumped to the top, the S9 is close enough that I don't miss my v30. Additionally, it's quite a damn bit louder.

Mar 23, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #54 of 140
Coming from the v30...

With the HQ mode on and the custom EQ with everything bumped to the top, the S9 is close enough that I don't miss my v30. Additionally, it's quite a damn bit louder.
Is that Exynos or SnapDragon? Interesting point re volume, guessing I'll skip the V30 then.

Mar 24, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #56 of 140
Bluetooth on the S9 for me somehow is worse than the S7. I've experienced more audio dropping outside in NYC in more places, and it even drops or disconnects from my Sony car stereo. My Bose SoundSport Wireless seems to play fine, but I get the drops with the Momentum 2 Wireless (the "fixed" version). Volume seems louder, though. Anyone have any impressions on Bluetooth? I may end up ditching the M2s and getting something else.

Mar 25, 2018 at 2:47 AM Post #57 of 140
The bigger point, is Exynos Vs SnapDragon...

I can tell you that since receiving my Exynos version two weeks ago, that it has become my daily driver, leaving my iPhone X to merely email duties (remembering that 7, 8 and X iPhones should sound the same, if using the dongle), sounds punchy, dynamic...

That being said, really don't like the Dolby Atmos feature, yuck!

Thank you for posting this.

Have you tried another music app for the iPhone. Then, the standard music app sounds not so good compared to Onkyo HF (free) oder KaiserTone.

Mar 25, 2018 at 3:43 AM Post #58 of 140
Thank you for posting this.

Have you tried another music app for the iPhone. Then, the standard music app sounds not so good compared to Onkyo HF (free) oder KaiserTone.
On the iPhone I use Onkyo HF (Paid)…

Hope this helps.

Mar 25, 2018 at 4:32 AM Post #60 of 140
Yep, thank you :)!

How did you find the change from iOS to Android? Do you use Windows or OSX?
Oh, well - I'm a real cellphone whore, in the past twelve months I've had (in no particular order) iPhone 7+, 8+, X, Samsung S7 Edge, S8+, S9+ and Note 8 (all Samsungs are Exynos versions) - I am mostly a Windows person, I don't use OSX - nearest I have to a full sized Apple device is an iPad Pro 12.9 (2017), and an aged mid 2011 iMac.

Sorry - the point of that list above, is that I'm probably the wrong person to ask what the difference are between the two operating systems, as I mix and match as I please...

Strangely - the hardest time I had, was moving from iPhone 8+ to X - where a large portion of the gestures were different - didn't take very long though :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back