Galaxy S9/S9+ audio quality
Jul 22, 2018 at 5:55 PM Post #106 of 140
I have been using my S9 for several days now and am torn. The LDAC functionality is simply stunning with WI-1000X but the headphone jack is significantly warmer than my V20. This has turned my headphones upside down. All my thin sounding headphones sound awesome while my brassy warm headphones now sound overblown and off. Will have to play around to find out what works best.

Love the S9 as a phone and android device though very responsive and great battery life so far.

Check to make sure none of the stupid Samsung "enhancements" are on.

Jul 22, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #107 of 140
Check to make sure none of the stupid Samsung "enhancements" are on.
Enlighten yourself, what stupid Samsung "enhancements" are you talking about?

Jul 22, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #108 of 140
Enlighten yourself, what stupid Samsung "enhancements" are you talking about?

I don't think you know what "enlighten" means (maybe you're thinking of "illuminate"), but I'm referring to any of this garbage:

WEIUYBN24YiRr_4guMrf8bIBjWX3vcgaETL2ej8cGEwkrCz5F18-rA6dYHWGKC8B2hdsLdJWgdwseU4zXIzi9xgC3ZMck1Yc9vj04CGk1V-70p71TLRpIbCocHli8wriGmakHRSpgoBIMWFouy-gW2HSJVw-i7cg0ETrO-QnEhQHdLEKFjy6JRcp3w-cy6UjR0HIXGi4ddOsnU9cITuu9WMHG29JjgLOSnc1yA4EdyHL7cb0We9ky4dm2N7EumyaPXPTM7UWCzS6hBEkREvUhZ2407tRgTg36WMEc8JF-3I9XRzCHhO-mskBJPbUrooonlD7WkQmunqODn1U26WthZG_22Gdj4fjF8ej8KIgoQoA8hl7KlPNxDT6XefqBWOWvesBKhbCRkmAujc8OaIzDNntWw7osj7DZeIkKiYjs538dYWTW6u0TBTGamaEH0ybRm24oRjx7N4q8OPCnfEDFm_RqL-ulie4lldMfInZgToFM6XwZ4sa7TuToBCeZSyovq3VhQ0vh_S9ExHEAE1LghlqOsBKWcCGe8BFkfDi3qEzH2wf4LGJZFmEDHwEL4Ecn3sS9vtCipnbi5MijMBh9QyQFqHy5xigL-FXKd4m=w517-h944-no

Jul 22, 2018 at 7:48 PM Post #109 of 140
Maybe I should have used the word clarify. :)

Aug 6, 2018 at 2:01 PM Post #113 of 140
Been 3 days now and so far I am enjoying how this phone sounds more than my past HTC 10. Using poweramp alpha with the 24 bit setting and all atmos and other sound features are off. But I dont know if its me but does anyone notice the sound to be kind of 3 dimensional or spacious? It's hard to explain but definetly the HTC 10 didnt sound like this. Other than that, detail retrieval is a whole 10 levels better when compared to the HTC 10, Lows, Mids, Highs and separation is much better :). I find it strange though this sense of space I am hearing, I have to get used to it but the more I listen, the more I enjoy it. Is it better than my fiio Q5 not so, but I will admit I do like it more than the Oppo Ha2se.

Aug 6, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #114 of 140
I remember the HTC 10 sounding a bit "flat" by comparison as well. I liked the response curve and thought it sounded good in general, but everything felt kinda squashed like it was all pressed together.

Aug 6, 2018 at 8:42 PM Post #115 of 140
I remember the HTC 10 sounding a bit "flat" by comparison as well. I liked the response curve and thought it sounded good in general, but everything felt kinda squashed like it was all pressed together.
I agree, while using the S9 I will certainly not use the atmos with iems, I dislike how it sounds. But with speakers and does do a good improvement. But I am still amazed at the detail retrieval the s9 has when using poweramp alpha with the 24 bit setting. I can actually hear differences in mastering, texture, digital expansion compared to different songs. On the HTC 10 most songs sounded good but flat. On the s9 some of those good songs horrid, mids or lows are to much, some things may be to upfront but with orher songs, it's so nicely balanced like I can't fault it. I love the S9. Now I have heard the LG V30, comparing dacs yes thw V30 is ahead but not by much. The V30 is very nitpicky and you need a high ohm headphone to get the V30 going. But the S9 just sounds great, it has this smoothness and clarity that I can listen to and get lost in. The lows at times feel mushy but I don't think its the dac, I believe that it may actually be the song. I have many genres coming from The Prodigy to Black Sabbath to Wu Tang to Embrionyc to Vitalic etc. Some songs have insanely heavy lows but it actually doesnt get mushy or blured. Yes it has strong impact and the rumble is amazing, but from what I'm hearing, the tightness and speed in the lows is much more controlled compared to the HTC 10 it just depends on the mastering of the track. Is the track bass heavy, mid forward or treble bright the dac in the s9 really brings it out. I am seriously impressed

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2019 at 9:17 AM Post #117 of 140
I just lost mu htc 10 and I am going for the s9. The V30 does not ring a bell for me.

I will be ok, I supose. I really like the htc 10.

Jan 29, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #119 of 140
Stupid question, now that there are usb-c digital audio in devices like the FiiO BTR3, can you you get digital audio out of the S9 without the transfer dongle?

What do you mean by "without the transfer dongle"? The S9/S9+ supports USB DAC out, so you can connect any USB DAC to the S9/S9+ to reroute the audio to that USB DAC device. Any cable should work. I've used a USB-C to MicroUSB, USB-C to USB-C, and also used the stock Samsung S9 USB-C to USB-A dongle and they all work with my DACs/DAPs with DAC functionality.

I also found out that the Android 9 Pie update eliminated some clicking sounds I was having with my DAC, so sound is cleaner now with them.

Jan 30, 2019 at 11:11 AM Post #120 of 140
Greetings, I would like to ask a question not related with the quality but the capability of this decive. I have exynos plus version of it and use Sennheiser momentum 2 over ear headphone while listening from spotify. However I want to buy an open-ended headphone like HD650 or HD660 etc and its high impedence value confuses me. Is this phone capable to run this type of a device without an amplifier. Or should I ask it this way; would an amplifier be a necessity to run high impedence valued headphones or just a recommendation for S9+ ?

Also, I want to ask another question, in some Android forums, S9 is considered to having a dac which is not inferior than some usb dac devices like Dragonfly Black/Red. For my M2 cans, I think I dont need to buy a dac for my daily usage, however if I buy something like HD660, would I feel the necessity of a external dac since the new headphone is higher quality than my old one ? Please consider this question apart from the first one.

Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back