Galaxy S9/S9+ audio quality
Jan 30, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #121 of 140
Greetings, I would like to ask a question not related with the quality but the capability of this decive. I have exynos plus version of it and use Sennheiser momentum 2 over ear headphone while listening from spotify. However I want to buy an open-ended headphone like HD650 or HD660 etc and its high impedence value confuses me. Is this phone capable to run this type of a device without an amplifier. Or should I ask it this way; would an amplifier be a necessity to run high impedence valued headphones or just a recommendation for S9+ ?

Also, I want to ask another question, in some Android forums, S9 is considered to having a dac which is not inferior than some usb dac devices like Dragonfly Black/Red. For my M2 cans, I think I dont need to buy a dac for my daily usage, however if I buy something like HD660, would I feel the necessity of a external dac since the new headphone is higher quality than my old one ? Please consider this question apart from the first one.

Thanks in advance.

The Dac is not bad but the amp is weak. If you go for headphones that need power, and are over 32 ohm, I would get an amp.

I have a dragonfly black but I never have used it with the phone.

Jan 30, 2019 at 11:42 AM Post #124 of 140
So, without an amp, my sound level would be almost zero, or not enough ? Thank you so much for quick reply.

Phones have amps. It should drive almost all modern headphones well. If you feel you need more volume, you could get an external amp or Bluetooth receiver with amp /dac.

Jan 30, 2019 at 5:21 PM Post #125 of 140
I bought the S9 (Exynos) today and I'm finding the audio to be quite muddy and non definited (definetely less punchy). Even with the adaptive EQ.
also, poweramp audio enhancements (let's call them that...) won't work with the adaptive EQ so I need to turn them off.

I am coming from an HTC 10. Was expecting some kind of improvement but it's the other way around. My daily buds are the FiiO FH5.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2019 at 9:56 PM Post #126 of 140
I bought the S9 (Exynos) today and I'm finding the audio to be quite muddy and non definited (definetely less punchy). Even with the adaptive EQ.
also, poweramp audio enhancements (let's call them that...) won't work with the adaptive EQ so I need to turn them off.

I am coming from an HTC 10. Was expecting some kind of improvement but it's the other way around. My daily buds are the FiiO FH5.

Make sure the cable is inserted all the way and any enhancements are turned off.

Jan 31, 2019 at 3:51 AM Post #127 of 140

I am also coming from an htc 10 and I cannot say I prefer this one. Maybe more detail but far less musical.

Nov 28, 2019 at 4:17 PM Post #130 of 140
hi all, can someone help with this ? I can't decide between "LG G7 ThinQ" and Samsung S9+ (Snapdragon chip). I listen to music a lot (wired headphones only), but 99% of my FLAC files are CD quality (16 bits, 44.1KHz). I'll probably never listen to HD audio (24 bits, 192KHz...), and I use PowerAmp v2 with a custom equalizer (PowerAmp v3 sounds weird and muffled). My headphone is a "on-ear" Pioneer SE-MJ553BT-R, 40mm driver, frequency range 6 Hz - 40,000Hz, impedance 32 ohms. I've been using an old LG G3 D855p for the last 2 years and it sounds great with PowerAmp v2. Clean audio, no pops either.

Is the audio DAC of the Samsung S9+ (Snapdragon) good ? If the Samsung S9+ is as good (preferable better) than my old LG G3 D855p, I'll take it.
I can't find the S9+ model with Exynos chip to buy here in Brazil (better audio DAC than the model with Snapdragon chip ?)

I'm messing with a HTC U11 (no 3.5mm jack) and its USB-C to 3.5mm adapter (original HTC adapter), but the audio is too punchy and loud. I get the feeling that the sound from my old LG G3 (plugged in 3.5mm jack) is more "defined and clean" (call me crazy). I really don't like using an external DAC with a dongle hanging on the USB-C connector.

Thank you for any help and tips.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2019 at 12:05 AM Post #132 of 140
If the audio is too loud, why don't you decrease the volume? It may help with the "punchiness" too.
I have a S9 and I can't tell the difference between it and dedicated DAPs.

Nov 29, 2019 at 6:47 AM Post #133 of 140
If the audio is too loud, why don't you decrease the volume? It may help with the "punchiness" too.
I have a S9 and I can't tell the difference between it and dedicated DAPs.
I did lowered the volume, didn't help. Audio still punchy. I think the DAC in HTC's USB-C to 3.5mm adapter auto-converts the audio to 24bit / 48KHz and you have no way to change this.
But if S9+ with Snapdragon chip (or get the S9+ with Snapdragon chip if it has the same same sound quality) has a good audio output.
After some more research, I found out that the LG G7's quad-DAC only works with high impedance headphones. Mine is 32 ohms so, the quad-DAC would be useless ?
S9 with Exynos chip is not available here in Brazil :frowning2:

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2019 at 9:39 AM Post #135 of 140
I have a Exynos S9+ and going to get the ibasso Dc01. Asking owners who has tried this combo and the Fiio M11. I wonder if the Fiio M11 is half better than s9+ with the ibasso Dc01.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back