FX700 and EX1000 Owners: What Other IEMs Have You Purchased That You've Been Happy with?
Feb 4, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #31 of 142
The only IEMs I'm properly satisfied with are the EX1000 and HJE900 
biggrin.gif
 But that's because tonality is so important to me.

Feb 4, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #32 of 142

Quote:
The only IEMs I'm properly satisfied with are the EX1000 and HJE900 
biggrin.gif
 But that's because tonality is so important to me.

Are you referring to timbre? Because the FX700 has that in spades even over the EX1000. Just no comparison in that department.

Feb 4, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #34 of 142

lee730 said:
Are you referring to timbre? Because the FX700 has that in spades even over the EX1000. Just no comparison in that department.

uh-oh not this again. Timbre on the FX700 is special, but to me that means it's specialized. To me it's a hit or miss, certain instruments sound very natural, but others sound very wrong imo. EX600 has a more all-round better timbre imo. I also fault the FX700s tonal balance, which is a bit uneven imo, whereas the EX600s are well balanced for the most part. So there's variation in that department, not as simple as one being clearly superior to the other. 

Feb 4, 2012 at 4:04 PM Post #35 of 142
Having owned the FX700 and having in my possession for a good period of time the EX1000, I would have to say that three IEMS that really sounds nothing like them I'm enjoying quite a bit now (speaking only of universals of course).

Those three are the W4, GR07 and RE262. A close second (and two that did sound more like the two in question respectively) is FXT90 and 7550. I just recently sold my 7550 as my RE262 satisfies my craving for a strong mid-centric IEM with nice bass. The FXT90 is like the baby brother of the FX700 to my ears, but with more forward mids. The micro details are the same in both, but the FXT90 is a much warmer sounding IEM.

Feb 4, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #36 of 142
The best instrument realism I've heard in universals so far belong to the FX700, EX1000, RE262 and FXT90. I thought all 4 were excellent in bringing most instruments to life.  For me the FX700 weak point was vocals but the reason I sold them was due to ergonomics.  I grew weary of wearing them due to their size and I hate modular cables (yes I hate the RE262's cable as well but is a very comfortable phone to wear) and I just found myself not listening to them for these seemingly unimportant reasons.

I hope JVC/Victor will release a future product that can combine the best of the FXT90 and FX700.

Edit: and by far, the EX1000 had the best soundstage presentation I've heard in a universal.

Feb 4, 2012 at 8:22 PM Post #37 of 142
Quote:
Yes, it's all so very subjective, isn't it? There's absolutely no use asking people to comment on an IEM they happen to own even if perhaps they have a little experience having already owned other IEMs; or mention, perhaps, that Joker, who is quite respected on Head-Fi, and has reviewed over 200 IEMs, had a brief listening session with the AKGs and thought they were possibly the best universal he'd ever heard. Yes, it's ALL just so incredibly subjective, and everyone's views are equal, therefore it's pretty useless to rely on anyone's views.

Guess it's much better to just say: " I spoke to another headfier who really didn't find them [the AKGs] to be all that. Then again this person auditioned them and didn't actually take them home and listened to them for a while". The only thing that is objective, it seems, is that the Sennheiser IE80 is the very best IEM out there these days or so it would seem by all the posts from one particular member.

Would it not be a little more honest, I wonder, to point BassInMyFace in the right direction --of course one doesn't have to be aware of Joker's views-- and mention there actually is a K3003 thread? Perhaps if BassInMyFace is seriously considering spending $1300 on a universal IEM, he might care to read all 24 pages of that thread.

NOTE: Even though I respect Joker's views and reviews, and I largely agree with quite a few things he's written, I have also disagreed (rather strongly) on a couple of things. 

I've read through some of that thread before Music but not all of it.  Thank you for your input, and I'm going to try to read it all soon.  I do also agree with the fact that this hobby is very subjective, but I still feel some IEMs are technically superior in their abilities than others.

The reason that I respect Joker's opinion is because he's pointed me in the right direction for IEMs that I have been perfectly happy with on multiple occassions (including the FX700 and EX1000).  I'm not sure if I just share similar taste as him or what it is.  I do respect his patience with all of us though and the time he's put into his reviews.

Feb 4, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #38 of 142
Can anyone with experience voice there opinion on the W4 and SM3?  I've been pointed to those on multiple occasions now too.

Feb 4, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #39 of 142

Quote:
Can anyone with experience voice there opinion on the W4 and SM3?  I've been pointed to those on multiple occasions now too.

IMO the W4 and SM3 are a slight backwards step from the EX1000 and FX700 but I do have a dynamic driver bias/preference, so take that with a grain of salt.

The W4 is the best all BA phone I've heard.  It has a thick, slightly warm note with very intimate vocals.  The treble has awesome detail and zero fatique.  I  really think the treble is the best part of its presentation.  However it is not an airy treble if that's what you are looking for.  Bass is on the lean side but has lots of head room to amp, boost or EQ it to preference.  However being that they are 2 smaller BA's, the texture doesn't strike me as real as with the FX700 or EX1000.  The Westone cable is my favorite cable, especially the non-removable cable.  Tangle free and very flexible.  Not to mention the great low profile fit of the housing.  Soundstaging is very wide but not very deep but instrument separation is possibly the best I've heard.

The SM3 is a dark sounding phone.  It has more bass quantity and punch than the W4 but not necessarily quality.  It's mids are very forward and in fact put you on stage with the performers.  I didn't like this b/c there was no separation of background vocals and lead vocals.  It also didn't have hardly any forward projection and would sometimes throw location cues behind you.  That's a love or hate feature.  The treble is equally detailed to the W4 but much darker and lower in volume.  With the wrong tips (small bore) there can be a veil over the presentation but with the new ES biflanges, I didn't really hear a veil, just a dark sound signature.  The same tips selection criteria applies to the W4 as well.  The SM3 is a pretty polarizing phone but I found it to be pleasant but ultimately nothing special.  I've only used V1, so I can't compare comfort to V2 but sound is the same.

Edit: check my sig for a brief compare of the EX1000, FX700 and W4

Feb 4, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #41 of 142

Quote:

I have to disagree on that. The FX700 probably render guitar strings more crisply but it doesn't sound any more real than the EX1000 IMO. The EX1000 has a beautiful decay that make it sound more natural overall compared to the FX700.

Quote:

The W4 is very technically proficient perhaps even more so than the EX1000 but it has a more dry balanced signature compared to the EX's vibrant colours. As for the SM3 (and UM3x), I never understood them.. I just can't listen to them

Feb 5, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #42 of 142
Thank you very much for your input guys.  You are all a great help thus far.  I appreciate it greatly, and I like how there is a general agreement between you guys regarding the W4 and SM3.

Feb 5, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #43 of 142

Quote:
Thank you very much for your input guys.  You are all a great help thus far.  I appreciate it greatly, and I like how there is a general agreement between you guys regarding the W4 and SM3.

The general agreement about these 2 is just an oddity, the rest of the thread should show you how subjective things can be with expensive IEMs (EX1000, FX700, UM3X and many others).
wink.gif

Be smart, do not look for "the best", think about characteristics that you're looking for, and read as much comparisons as you can to make your own selection.
smile.gif

And be warned: W4 and SM3 may sound "boring", coming from FX700/EX1000. Or you may get used to the sound if you give your brain enough time and feed them enough music.
There's no 100% risk-free choice. Fortunately, second-hand IEMs tend to sell well, so you can limit the losses.

Feb 6, 2012 at 8:35 PM Post #45 of 142
Quote:
The general agreement about these 2 is just an oddity, the rest of the thread should show you how subjective things can be with expensive IEMs (EX1000, FX700, UM3X and many others).
wink.gif

Be smart, do not look for "the best", think about characteristics that you're looking for, and read as much comparisons as you can to make your own selection.
smile.gif

And be warned: W4 and SM3 may sound "boring", coming from FX700/EX1000. Or you may get used to the sound if you give your brain enough time and feed them enough music.
There's no 100% risk-free choice. Fortunately, second-hand IEMs tend to sell well, so you can limit the losses.

You are absolutely right my friend.  Comparisons are key.

Does anyone have any input of how the PFE 232 compares to the IEMs we've mentioned thusfar?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back