Futuresonics Atrio M5
Nov 10, 2007 at 3:06 PM Post #1,006 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by subfocus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats been my experience as well...the supplied medium bi-flanges are a very comfortable fit and provide an excellent seal. I've had my Atrios for around six months and tried a few different tips (including the Shure 'olives' ). I found that for me , (wearing the M5 's with the memorywire over the ear also) the biflanges give the best of both worlds. Perfect fit , with good isolation and comfort (I often fall asleep with them in). Coupled with better SQ than I get from any other tips I've tried (more clarity across the sound spectrum , the bass even sounds tighter). As for the FS foamies , I don't think they're actually that bad really in comparison with some foamies.....however the impractical flesh colour does mean that they can get pretty grubby looking fairly quickly. The Atrios still sound hugely musical and involving to my ears though and thats regardless of whatever tip you use with them
icon10.gif

The foams do isolate better than the flanges, but I find the flanges more comfortable, especially for long sessions. I fly frequently, and the difference in isolation in that noisy environment is substantial. In other circumstances, the flanges have plenty of iso. I also wear the wires over the ear, and found that it almost eliminates microphonics.

Nov 25, 2007 at 11:28 PM Post #1,009 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by sayrum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
aloha,
i just came across the future sonics m8. do the the future sonics m5 + m8 sound similar?
what are the main differences?
m8 just being a lil better?

thanks.

The only difference is the color.

Nov 26, 2007 at 1:28 AM Post #1,010 of 2,359
Long time Ety user who had a problem with the Etys and decided to get these. First impressions with no burn-in: DARK! Muddy even at the lower frequencies.

After a couple hours of burn in (~ 5): have played with different tips and positions of the phones (e.g., memory wire over the ears vs. hanging down). These cans seem very sensitive to in ear placement. Insert them slightly too deep and you get very reduced volume and clarity. Not deep enough and you don't get a decent seal and crappy sound. For my ear canals, the supplied medium flanges are ALMOST exactly the correct size, just a hair on the small side... they seem to move about when I move too much (this was without using the memory wire). Tried the larger size and they're too big. Haven't tried foamies yet. Am still figuring these out.

Right now am listening to Porcupine Tree, Nil Recurring (for PT fans, this is a MUST have!) via 60 GB video iPod -> Sik Din -> SuperMini of recent vintage. Still dark, recessed sounding (e.g., bass drum on the opening track seems like it can't be resolved by the phone). Bass line in Nil Recurring sounds VERY good, but the cymbals sound like they are being played in another room. Pretty good isolation with the mid sized flanges and memory wire over the ears (my son just appeared at my side... never heard him coming!). Will continue to let them burn in.

Bruce

Nov 26, 2007 at 1:34 AM Post #1,011 of 2,359
Wow... after a few weeks of these with my Clix and Rockbox'ed e200. WOW, they sound amazing... they bass and the soundstage was just what i was looking for. I LOVE THESE!!! oh and I can sleep with them too. They get in pretty deep with the shure olives and lay flat to my ear.
smily_headphones1.gif
satisfied customer right here

Nov 26, 2007 at 1:50 AM Post #1,012 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was set on buying the shure olives, but i'm not sure anymore. I heard the olives just extend the bass, while don't do much to the treble and mids. I want some more clarity on the m5s, I'm thinking of getting the yellow foam tips and even considering the grey comply tips.

Agree with this comment...im using the Shure olives and the Atrio medium bi-flange on my xtrememac FS1 (uses the FS MG5 driver) and the olives extend the bass which really is not needed with these IEM's, the Atrio bi-flange tips are awesome, isolation and comfort and seem to present a broader spectrum than the olives.

Nov 27, 2007 at 11:25 PM Post #1,013 of 2,359
I recieved the Shure olives today.With them the Atrios sound too screechy in the upper mids.Then I put them in reverse and they sound better but they are not as comfy as the large FS tan foamies.Need to experiment more but i still prefer the stock FS foamies for sound+comfort.Next will be the Etys grey foamies (i will recieve them in a couple days)

Nov 28, 2007 at 12:46 AM Post #1,014 of 2,359
These have become my IEM of choice. I listen mostly to Rock so the extra bass works well. They sound great directly out of the IPOD Video 60GB I use. No need for an amp. But with an amp things can sound better at times.

Nov 28, 2007 at 1:35 PM Post #1,015 of 2,359
I have spent almost 1 month with these, and I am also loving the sound. I do agree that the included foamies turn into an ugly mess after 1 week of use.

I ordered Shure Olives were two days ago, and I am anxious to try them out. If they add nothing to the SQ, that would be great. Just the fact that they won't disintegrate after 1 week of wear will be a huge upgrade!

But I hace started to get upgrade-itis. Narrowed down my next DAP to the Kenwood Mediakeg 30/60, and the Cowon A2/A3. Does anyone have experience with either of these and the M5's?

Nov 28, 2007 at 2:00 PM Post #1,016 of 2,359
I use the HD30GB9 with M5 and they make a great combo.After some more tries I decided that the olives are no good for M5 (for my ears). Comfy but I don’t like the sound.Reverse gives better sound but feel awkward in my ears.OK the stock FS foamies are fragile but to my ears they do what they supposed to do: sound great and be super comfortable.

Nov 28, 2007 at 2:34 PM Post #1,017 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by eduj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use the HD30GB9 with M5 and they make a great combo.After some more tries I decided that the olives are no good for M5 (for my ears). Comfy but I don’t like the sound.Reverse gives better sound but feel awkward in my ears.OK the stock FS foamies are fragile but to my ears they do what they supposed to do: sound great and be super comfortable.

Do you find that there is enough power with your HD30GB9 to drive the M5's to their fullest? I think I just read where the spec'd power for this unit was Headphone output:

6mW×6mW (16 ohms)

On power alone, that doesn't seem to have much oooomph.

Does anyone use an A2 with these M5's, or at least have the chance to test-drive an A2 with these M5's?
While I am not interested in the video portion of the A2, the amplifier (16 Ohm earphones : 32mW + 32mW) and 30GB drive with many codec support make the A2 a viable alternative to the Kenwood Media Kegs at a significant (>$100.00USD) savings. But SQ is very important to me, so does anyone have experience with the A2? or both?

Thanks!

Nov 28, 2007 at 2:57 PM Post #1,018 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by Richdel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you find that there is enough power with your HD30GB9 to drive the M5's to their fullest? I think I just read where the spec'd power for this unit was Headphone output:

6mW×6mW (16 ohms)

On power alone, that doesn't seem to have much oooomph.

Does anyone use an A2 with these M5's, or at least have the chance to test-drive an A2 with these M5's?
While I am not interested in the video portion of the A2, the amplifier (16 Ohm earphones : 32mW + 32mW) and 30GB drive with many codec support make the A2 a viable alternative to the Kenwood Media Kegs at a significant (>$100.00USD) savings. But SQ is very important to me, so does anyone have experience with the A2? or both?

Thanks!

I donot own a A2 but using other Cowon player: X5,D2,U3,U2 the Atrio are very good.
Cowon's EQ and SQ are relatively similar throughout their different models. I think you will enjoy the Atrio with any Cowon models.

I am "sold" to Cowon while some others will find SQ not to their taste.
I am also "sold" to Atrio period.
With my other player the Atrio are performing in a way that I can really observe the SQ of the other players. Meaning, I have a Sansa e200 and the SQ was very thin with the Atrio. I then rockboxed the Sansa and now with the Atrio I can enjoy the SQ of the rockboxed Sansa.

The Atrio are not magic.They simply deliver the sound your player is giving.If SQ is so-so that's what you will get.
What I like with the Cowon product is that the sound they deliver is not so-so. You can EQ to your taste what you will hear.

regards,

Nov 28, 2007 at 3:05 PM Post #1,019 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by Richdel /img/forum/go_quote.gif

6mW×6mW (16 ohms)

On power alone, that doesn't seem to have much oooomph

The Kenwood is 8mWΧ8mW (16 ohms).M5 is pretty easy to drive and I have no problem with the combo.An MP3 gain of 93 db is more than enough to go really loud with this combination.

Nov 28, 2007 at 3:33 PM Post #1,020 of 2,359
Well, I have ordered thse too and they came in just a minute ago.

Unpacked them immediately and hooked them up to my Sony MZ-RH1. AWSOME sound, even not burned-in they sound really good.

Very natural.

Very happy, and soon to be happier, since I read that they only improve over time.....

thx guys,

greetz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back