Futuresonics Atrio M5
Dec 1, 2007 at 12:03 AM Post #1,036 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by BDA_ABAT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FutureSonics really needs to put a disclaimer on their packaging about the NEED for burn-in time!

At first listen, I was not impressed and seriously considered sending these back. Bass was bloated, highs were repressed, midrange was recessed.

The sound changed dramatically over time. At ~ 24 hours, the drums sounded like they were a room away from the mikes. The overall impression that I had was one of listening to a crappy old boom box with the BASS BOOST button depressed. Ick! Overall muddy sound with no structure or balance. Just awful sound!

Started getting REALLY concerned when things had not fully resolved after burning in for ~ 60 hours. Bass drum sounds were more THUD than BOOM. Midrange was still recessed.

After ~ 100 hours, things really settled down nicely. Bass is more controlled, drums have now come back into the same room with the microphones, highs are present (although still not as detailed as I'd like, but am still burning in). MUCH more enjoyable listening experience.

Bruce

dear Bruce,
Apart from burning-in,
per what you describe you might have a problem of seal, meaning the seal between your ear and the tip of the Atrio is lacking somehow!

it's very subtle but have you switch your tips; tried other models etc...

regards,

Dec 1, 2007 at 2:05 PM Post #1,037 of 2,359
Quote:

FutureSonics really needs to put a disclaimer on their packaging about the NEED for burn-in time!

At first listen, I was not impressed and seriously considered sending these back. Bass was bloated, highs were repressed, midrange was recessed.

The sound changed dramatically over time. At ~ 24 hours, the drums sounded like they were a room away from the mikes. The overall impression that I had was one of listening to a crappy old boom box with the BASS BOOST button depressed. Ick! Overall muddy sound with no structure or balance. Just awful sound!

Started getting REALLY concerned when things had not fully resolved after burning in for ~ 60 hours. Bass drum sounds were more THUD than BOOM. Midrange was still recessed.

After ~ 100 hours, things really settled down nicely. Bass is more controlled, drums have now come back into the same room with the microphones, highs are present (although still not as detailed as I'd like, but am still burning in). MUCH more enjoyable listening experience.

Bruce

I also received mine, and I'm not totally satisfied with the mids.
What do you use to burn them in? Pink noise? Do you do it at night? What volume level?
These are my first IEMs so I don't exactly know what to do
wink.gif

Kuba.

Dec 1, 2007 at 2:08 PM Post #1,038 of 2,359
I used pink noise, for 4-5 days straight. But then again, the M5s are not a mid-forward IEM. So you may never like them completely. Some of us don't mind the mid situation; it bothers others. Hope a burn-in resolves your issue.

Dec 1, 2007 at 2:13 PM Post #1,039 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I used pink noise, for 4-5 days straight. But then again, the M5s are not a mid-forward IEM. So you may never like them completely. Some of us don't mind the mid situation; it bothers others. Hope a burn-in resolves your issue.

Thanks for the reply. Does it matter if I will only burn them in at night (≈8 hours straight each time)? I would like to be able to use them during the day
smily_headphones1.gif

And the mids aren't such a big issue, but if they can get any better then I would like them to do so...

Kuba.

Dec 1, 2007 at 2:21 PM Post #1,040 of 2,359
Sure, I did it the same way, overnight for consecutive nights. I agree on the mids. The voices still sound great to me, so I didn't know what all the fuss was about. If anything to me, the highs could be a little stronger, but I like them anyway. Also, I just switched back to the medium bi-flanges again (can't make up my mind on these phones) and there is something to be said for the flanges if you can get a good seal. They brighten up the sound in my view. I use the flanges or the FS foamies. I formerly used the Shure olives, but they always felt like they were going to fall out (though the inverted insertion is a workaround). Hope they work out for you.

Dec 1, 2007 at 3:38 PM Post #1,041 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure, I did it the same way, overnight for consecutive nights. I agree on the mids. The voices still sound great to me, so I didn't know what all the fuss was about. If anything to me, the highs could be a little stronger, but I like them anyway. Also, I just switched back to the medium bi-flanges again (can't make up my mind on these phones) and there is something to be said for the flanges if you can get a good seal. They brighten up the sound in my view. I use the flanges or the FS foamies. I formerly used the Shure olives, but they always felt like they were going to fall out (though the inverted insertion is a workaround). Hope they work out for you.

I'll toss in another opinion that burn-in is critical. Out of the box, the bass is muddy, and it obscures the mids. Mine sounded much better after about 25 hours with pink noise at a volume level that was just a bit higher than normal-loud listening. They've been stable since then, with much tighter, yet very extended bass and clear mids.

Super-extended and ultra-crisp highs are not the Atrios strong point, but the highs are sweet, pretty detailed, and very open. Once burned in, they are a real treat, even for marathon listening sessions.

I've also switched back to the flanges, and I agree that the sound is better. The foamies punch the bass up a bit too much. I now only use foams when I need the best possible isolation, like during a long flight with a screaming baby (or a long-winded salesman acting like a baby!) next to me.

Dec 1, 2007 at 8:19 PM Post #1,042 of 2,359
Quote:

BOOST button depressed. Ick! Overall muddy sound with no structure or balance. Just awful sound!

Bruce

You guy scare me!! I just ordered atrio 2 days ago...
I still believe atrio will rock
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 1, 2007 at 9:21 PM Post #1,043 of 2,359
FYI: I left mine plugged into a CD player set on repeat for the past 6 days and just popped them off periodically to check the sound. Not playing pink noise... playing Rush, Moving pictures (was the disk I had handy at the moment!). They definitely have come around, but am not sure I like the overall sound.

The mids are somewhat recessed and the bass is somewhat emphasized... overemphasized to my ears. Perhaps it's the years of my brain being trained by the Ety ER4P/S. Perhaps it's just my overall sonic preference. Whatever. I feel like I'm wearing headphones rather than listening to music.

Am still giving the burn in some time and keep checking periodically. It IS remarkable how much the sound has changed over time! Am hoping tht they will continue to improve with time.

I have had some fit issues and have tried different tips to see if the overall fit and sound could be improved. I think I've settled on the large flange tips. Can consistently get a good seal and consistent, good sound. To my ears, these have not cured my case of upgraditis. Am now looking longingly at the other IEM threads, particularly the custom molded ones!
biggrin.gif

Bruce

Dec 1, 2007 at 10:34 PM Post #1,044 of 2,359
Quote:

FYI: I left mine plugged into a CD player set on repeat for the past 6 days and just popped them off periodically to check the sound. Not playing pink noise... playing Rush, Moving pictures (was the disk I had handy at the moment!). They definitely have come around, but am not sure I like the overall sound.

The mids are somewhat recessed and the bass is somewhat emphasized... overemphasized to my ears. Perhaps it's the years of my brain being trained by the Ety ER4P/S. Perhaps it's just my overall sonic preference. Whatever. I feel like I'm wearing headphones rather than listening to music.

Am still giving the burn in some time and keep checking periodically. It IS remarkable how much the sound has changed over time! Am hoping tht they will continue to improve with time.

I have had some fit issues and have tried different tips to see if the overall fit and sound could be improved. I think I've settled on the large flange tips. Can consistently get a good seal and consistent, good sound. To my ears, these have not cured my case of upgraditis. Am now looking longingly at the other IEM threads, particularly the custom molded ones!
biggrin.gif

Bruce

Another person who feels the burn-in is crucial for these iem's. I set a loop in foobar with 20 minute pink noise and then a 2 minutes digital silence. Got both of these files from a thread search on "pink noise". I did this for 60 straight hours, and noticed a significant improvement from the day I received them. I feel as though during the next 40+ hours of listening there has been a slight improvement on soundstage. Not much, but definitely a bit wider then my first listening hours. I have the Shure medium olives on the way. Hoping they are more "resilient" then the FS foamies.

As for ugraditis, I chose to purchase the M5's over the E500's just for that reason. The savings are going towards a pair of Westone 3's, if they ever get released. The review I read from a fellow head-fi'er were impressive, and I feel like they will be a significant upgrade to this iem. But I must admit, I do love listening to these. I listen to them for hours (+3 hours at times) with no discomfort or fatigue.

Dec 2, 2007 at 2:57 AM Post #1,045 of 2,359
Critical point for me as well, no fatigue with the M5s. I had the ER4P/S phones, and I guess it is a case of personal preference, cause I favored the M5s in an A/B comparo. For true isolation, I alternate between the M5s and the im616s (which, incidentally use Ety drivers, but have a more mid-bottom flavor). At home, I favor the PK1s when I need mobility. But of all the phones I have, the M5s are the long-distance champs in terms of being non-fatiguing.

Talking about upgraditis, I am eyeballing those Klipsch Custom 3s or Images.

Dec 2, 2007 at 3:55 AM Post #1,046 of 2,359
6-month owner of the Atrio's here. Best headphones I've ever owned.

However, the black rubber part of the IEMS (specifically around the clear plastic tubing) is starting to wear down due to what seems to be stress from the tubing grinding against my ear. Has anybody come up with a mod to keep this from happening? I might have to improvise otherwise.

Dec 2, 2007 at 4:16 AM Post #1,047 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by neoufo51 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
6-month owner of the Atrio's here. Best headphones I've ever owned.

However, the black rubber part of the IEMS (specifically around the clear plastic tubing) is starting to wear down due to what seems to be stress from the tubing grinding against my ear. Has anybody come up with a mod to keep this from happening? I might have to improvise otherwise.

I really don't need the tubing, and I saw where someone used an exacto to carefully trim away the tubing. One of mine is detached, so I just slide it down, away from the black rubber base of the M5s. I hate those memory wire/tube things.

Dec 2, 2007 at 4:25 AM Post #1,048 of 2,359
after probably 500+ hours on them (been running playlist non stop since i had them)

the M5's are my first and last IEM. With a decent price and acceptable build quality. I think they make sound that is sought in portable audio equipment by a large chunk of the population (everyone - audiophile and not). Comfortability/isolation can be found whether it's using other stock silicon, olives, or foamies. I wouldnt hold it against FutureSonics. These things are definitely not neutral (didnt expect them to be). The low, high, mid position is awkward, but i could get used to it. Ive only listened to mine amped. Im saving them for plane and roadtrips; they make really good earplugs too.

The problem is everytime i listen to my HD650's my iem's dont seem fun anymore. I feel none of the music drawing me in when listening to iems. Tried using them for games. Explosions blow me away literally...too much for my head

I listen to them with no eq, no dolby headphone, only use the crossfeed filter.

i dont think i would be satisfied with any IEM as long as i have 650's to use.

Dec 2, 2007 at 10:52 AM Post #1,049 of 2,359
Define awkward please.

Dec 4, 2007 at 1:32 PM Post #1,050 of 2,359
Yes! I finally got them from handheldaudio! Special delivery arrived.

This is my first entry to high end earphones level...

My first impression is that it is nice package, very light, and atrios seem very small! Dont stick out at all. I dont understand why some people report here that these one are huge. They are definitely NOT!
Happy with this purchase so far...
Now i am not going to listen to them (even though i really wonder how they sound)
I gonna use pink noise for 25-50 hours and then I will send my review
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back