Futuresonics Atrio M5
Nov 28, 2007 at 7:10 PM Post #1,021 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caribou679 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I then rockboxed the Sansa and now with the Atrio I can enjoy the SQ of the rockboxed Sansa.

So the Sansa sounds better with Rockbox? That's good to know. *ponders*

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richdel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone use an A2 with these M5's, or at least have the chance to test-drive an A2 with these M5's?
While I am not interested in the video portion of the A2, the amplifier (16 Ohm earphones : 32mW + 32mW) and 30GB drive with many codec support make the A2 a viable alternative to the Kenwood Media Kegs at a significant (>$100.00USD) savings. But SQ is very important to me, so does anyone have experience with the A2? or both?

It's your lucky day! I own both the Cowon A2 and the Atrio m5, and have found them to be a superb match! I tend to set the volume somewhere between 20 and 25 (range of 0-40), and that's PLENTY of power to drive the Atrio, though not enough for high-impedance cans like the HD-600. The A2 has a Wolfson DAC chip and a surprisingly clean headphone stage (no hiss at all). The only disadvantages to the A2 in my opinion are that 30GB feels limited for FLACs (though it plays them beautifully, as well as OGG and MP3), the lack of gapless playback, and the lack of ReplayGain support. For pure audio quality, though, the thing is gorgeous (plus it's a surprisingly excellent video player as well). I really haven't used it as a video player since I stopped commuting from Long Island to Manhattan on the train, but the sound quality is marvelous, so I've kept it as an audio player.

It's worth noting that the Cowon A2 can sound bright with some headphones, providing a very neutral output without any EQ settings. This provides superb synergy with the Atrio, which tends to be more bass-heavy than most IEMs. I don't recommend using any bass boosting with any Future Sonics IEMs, or it will sound horrible. There's more than enough bass with a flat EQ!

You absolutely cannot go wrong with the Cowon A2 and the Atrio. You'd probably have to get an iMod to get sound quality better than this in a portable. Word of warning, though: Only use the Atrio through the headphone jack. You really can't hook the A2 up with an amp and have it sound good at all. If you want something more portable, you might look into the D2 as well, though with a big enough SDHC card, it might be cost prohibitive.

Hope that helps!

Nov 28, 2007 at 8:40 PM Post #1,022 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by Packgrog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So the Sansa sounds better with Rockbox? That's good to know. *ponders*

It's your lucky day! I own both the Cowon A2 and the Atrio m5, and have found them to be a superb match! I tend to set the volume somewhere between 20 and 25 (range of 0-40), and that's PLENTY of power to drive the Atrio, though not enough for high-impedance cans like the HD-600. The A2 has a Wolfson DAC chip and a surprisingly clean headphone stage (no hiss at all). The only disadvantages to the A2 in my opinion are that 30GB feels limited for FLACs (though it plays them beautifully, as well as OGG and MP3), the lack of gapless playback, and the lack of ReplayGain support. For pure audio quality, though, the thing is gorgeous (plus it's a surprisingly excellent video player as well). I really haven't used it as a video player since I stopped commuting from Long Island to Manhattan on the train, but the sound quality is marvelous, so I've kept it as an audio player.

It's worth noting that the Cowon A2 can sound bright with some headphones, providing a very neutral output without any EQ settings. This provides superb synergy with the Atrio, which tends to be more bass-heavy than most IEMs. I don't recommend using any bass boosting with any Future Sonics IEMs, or it will sound horrible. There's more than enough bass with a flat EQ!

You absolutely cannot go wrong with the Cowon A2 and the Atrio. You'd probably have to get an iMod to get sound quality better than this in a portable. Word of warning, though: Only use the Atrio through the headphone jack. You really can't hook the A2 up with an amp and have it sound good at all. If you want something more portable, you might look into the D2 as well, though with a big enough SDHC card, it might be cost prohibitive.

Hope that helps!

I totally agree with Packgrog, the A2 sounds fantastic paired with the Atrio. I used to EQ a bit more for bass, but with the Atrio, now it's the opposite
tongue.gif
I find that the Jass setting is pretty great with the Atrio. The A2's amplifier is plenty powerful for the Atrio, it'll drive them fine. The codec support is also great too with FLAC, OGG, etc. I definetely recommend it.

On a side note, I find the Clix2 is an awesome combination with the Atrios as well.

Oh, and the Rockbox'ed Sansa e200 sound ALOT better with Rockbox, once you adjust the sound a bit, I find it almost on par with my Clix2 and A2.

Nov 28, 2007 at 9:57 PM Post #1,023 of 2,359
Packgrog and dap_pad, thanks for those reviews/opinions. They are exactly the type of response I was looking for.

While the quality of the Kenwood players is acclaimed to be the best, it does come at quite a cost. The A2 30GB is a great option for a HD player at 30gb with good sound quality at a significant savings.

Will there be any enhancements to the audio stage of the A3 that makes it worth the wait? Other then the larger HDD (30gb v 60gb).

Maybe the Shures olives will be at the house when I get home tonight!

Nov 28, 2007 at 11:33 PM Post #1,027 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by Darius94523 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So just to confirm, are the M8s, just a blue version of the M5s?

Yes... there is absolutely no difference between them apart from the colour.

Nov 29, 2007 at 2:18 AM Post #1,028 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterDLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't know that a pair of A2's would produce sound together.
biggrin.gif

Woops... LOL I meant the Atrio M5s
tongue.gif

The only difference basically between the A2 and the A3 is the DaVinci processor that it uses, which effects the codec support. I think it might affect the SQ a bit, but I haven't heard anything about the DaVinci's sound quality.

Nov 29, 2007 at 4:55 PM Post #1,029 of 2,359
wait..i'm a bit confused...

the blue ones are M8's?

I just got a pair and the box said M5 but the pair I have has the blue ring around it.

If you look at the box, it's funny because for the list of items that are in the box, it actually says M8...whats going on?

Nov 29, 2007 at 6:23 PM Post #1,032 of 2,359
aaaaaaaaaah after 3 months of making really hard decision I finally bought Atrio m5 from handheldaudio.
I couldn't decide between qjays, ex90, c700 and atrio. Especially c700 or Atrio.
THANKS to all of you especially who helped me through pm...

I can not return them, cause hygienic reasons, so.... i just hope they'll rock!
When I will get them (2 days) i will report my view and opinion...
Cheers and thanks
rolleyes.gif

Nov 29, 2007 at 9:38 PM Post #1,033 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luisa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
aaaaaaaaaah after 3 months of making really hard decision I finally bought Atrio m5 from handheldaudio.
I couldn't decide between qjays, ex90, c700 and atrio. Especially c700 or Atrio.
THANKS to all of you especially who helped me through pm...

I can not return them, cause hygienic reasons, so.... i just hope they'll rock!
When I will get them (2 days) i will report my view and opinion...
Cheers and thanks
rolleyes.gif

Just to head off the inevitable concerns: BURN THEM IN FOR AT LEAST 50-100 HOURS BEFORE JUDGING THEM!!! The Atrio changes it's sound signature significantly during this time. The bass will sound flabby and uncontrolled right out of the box, but they will settle down and tighten up over time. Promise!
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 29, 2007 at 10:10 PM Post #1,034 of 2,359
Hi,

well. I too noticed the typo on the box of the M5.
And I have to say, they aren't burned-in yet but they sound teriffic already!

So pleased with them. And they team up perfectly with my MZ-RH1. Need no amps or anything. Just hacked it to get rid of the damn EU volume cap.

greetz

Nov 30, 2007 at 9:30 PM Post #1,035 of 2,359
FutureSonics really needs to put a disclaimer on their packaging about the NEED for burn-in time!

At first listen, I was not impressed and seriously considered sending these back. Bass was bloated, highs were repressed, midrange was recessed.

The sound changed dramatically over time. At ~ 24 hours, the drums sounded like they were a room away from the mikes. The overall impression that I had was one of listening to a crappy old boom box with the BASS BOOST button depressed. Ick! Overall muddy sound with no structure or balance. Just awful sound!

Started getting REALLY concerned when things had not fully resolved after burning in for ~ 60 hours. Bass drum sounds were more THUD than BOOM. Midrange was still recessed.

After ~ 100 hours, things really settled down nicely. Bass is more controlled, drums have now come back into the same room with the microphones, highs are present (although still not as detailed as I'd like, but am still burning in). MUCH more enjoyable listening experience.

Bruce

Users who are viewing this thread

Back