Future Sonics new MG7 Atrios are in stock now!!!
Nov 14, 2010 at 11:37 PM Post #77 of 128

Quote:
Seems like FS is keeping most of the house sound with the new Atrio. Do give it a bit more burn-in if you can. The old Atrio v2 is one of the most transformed IEM pre/post burn-in I have ever experienced. Hopefully there is still room for improvement for the new Atrio as well.

Okay, I'll let them burn in more on your advice.  How much would you suggest?

Nov 14, 2010 at 11:46 PM Post #78 of 128
Seems like FS has been hyping up their own products to create more sales while not improving on much. Build quality still looks crap (trust me, my v2 Atrio lasted 4 days before the rubber strain relief split and I barely used them), and from reading this thread it seems mids are still recessed and treble is still crap.

Atrios are an outdated iem, there are much better options out there that can deliver big bass and have better mids and treble extension.

Nov 15, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #79 of 128
Quote:
Okay, I'll let them burn in more on your advice.  How much would you suggest?

I remember I gave my rev2 a 50 hrs normal volume + 50 hrs high volume burn-in. That would be how I would do on the new Atrio if I have one.

Quote:
Seems like FS has been hyping up their own products to create more sales while not improving on much. 

If anything else, I don't see how FS is hyping the new Atrio. In fact, they are being very lowkey on promoting the new Atrio. It is us who are taking an interest out of it.

Nov 15, 2010 at 12:24 AM Post #80 of 128
I don't think they are hyping it at all really. It's more some members here are talking about it and giving FS some recent recognition.

As for the HJE900 and Atrios MG7 comparison I don't consider there to be one from what I heard. Sub bass extension may be better but I consider the HJE900 more complete with better mids, treble, detail, clarity resolution and speed. There are certain songs that I played on the MG7 that I know very well and the MG7 sounded horribly incoherent in the lower mid range area. That is why I consider it more of a beta testing phase than a complete product. Something like that has never happened before. I don't like being so harsh on a product but it was not very good esp at 200 or so MSRP.

Nov 15, 2010 at 1:03 AM Post #81 of 128

Quote:
Seems like FS has been hyping up their own products to create more sales while not improving on much.
I'm going to go ahead and call that crazy talk.

I'm going to go ahead and call that crazy talk.

FS has done very, very little marketing.

As ClieOS, said, we are the ones who are showing some interest (in particular: Me).

Nov 15, 2010 at 1:53 AM Post #82 of 128

Quote:

As for the HJE900 and Atrios MG7 comparison I don't consider there to be one from what I heard. Sub bass extension may be better but I consider the HJE900 more complete with better mids, treble, detail, clarity resolution and speed. There are certain songs that I played on the MG7 that I know very well and the MG7 sounded horribly incoherent in the lower mid range area. That is why I consider it more of a beta testing phase than a complete product. Something like that has never happened before. I don't like being so harsh on a product but it was not very good esp at 200 or so MSRP.

I think I can give a counterpoint to that, having taken a break from the Mg7 Atrios and come back to them.

I only had a chance to hear the HJE900 for a very brief time and what I heard was modded to try to reduce the sonic flaws of the earphone.

The stock HJE900s are said to have a harsh treble, the Atrios' treble is well-extended and totally non-sibilant. Any comparison has to include that.

Also, I noticed that I could hear what Rawrster said about cymbals sounding metallic. Or, at least, I heard it sometimes. I think I've tracked that down, at least for me. Out of my ipod, there's not much problem with cymbals, or at least, I don't really hear it. Out of my ibassoT3, which takes some away from the top and bottom when compared to the ipod (and gives some back in the mids), I can hear a darkened treble. I think it's a very bad synergy in that case. I know Rawrster listened out of his amp and computer. I think an amp like the icon mobile would be perfect for the Atrios. Or, again, my 5th gen ipod...

For the mids, the stock HJE900 is very likely more recessed than the Atrios. The modded ones were about even with the Atrios, I thought. Also, the Atrios' mids are smooth, well-detailed and their neutrality will be very nice for some people. I think /joker/ called them "monitor-like" in his review of the v1 Atrios. The new Atrios keep that quality. Of course, the HJE900 seemed very transparent and well-detailed for a dynamic, to my ears.

Bass: I really appeciated the clarity of the HJE900's bass. Nobody does sub-bass like the Atrios, of course, and they are detailed but I think the HJE900 takes the clarity crown.

Straight out of my 5th gen ipod I could see the Atrios making some people happy. I still prefer my more-expensive coppers and I think maybe the modded HJE900, too. I think the stock HJE900 would be a much closer competition, sound-wise. Of course, now the 900 is heavily discounted, so the Atrios would be for a person who wanted to have a non-sibilant treble, neutral smooth mids and the ability to really give sub-bass when called for.

Nov 15, 2010 at 9:28 AM Post #84 of 128
The stock HJE900 and the modded HJE900 that you listened to are extremely close and very subtle. The only real difference is the midrange is not as recessed.

Nov 15, 2010 at 10:17 AM Post #85 of 128
Assuming that the sound of the new MG7 drivers isn't dramatically different from that of the previous, the HJE900 could probably be well-summarized to sound like a punchier version of the Atrios with slightly less soundstage (and in my opinion, less headroom), better mids, more treble although sometimes to point of sibilance (although I find less offense to this than others), and a fairly similar bass although without the tremendous Atrio sub-bass extension.  If you're looking for punchy, dynamic sounding phones, go HJE900.  If you want a dark, smooth sound with a huge low end, Atrio is hard to beat.

Nov 15, 2010 at 11:11 AM Post #86 of 128

Quote:
Did you try out that 'special' track w/ the MG7 kitty?  How did it render compared to other phones?

I have it in my ipod as "Anaxilus"--I downloaded the highest quality version I could using keepvid.

The mg7s handle it pretty well. They keep up. . The coppers have a bit more detail, but the Atrios hang in there.

Quote:
Assuming that the sound of the new MG7 drivers isn't dramatically different from that of the previous, the HJE900 could probably be well-summarized to sound like a punchier version of the Atrios with slightly less soundstage (and in my opinion, less headroom), better mids, more treble although sometimes to point of sibilance (although I find less offense to this than others), and a fairly similar bass although without the tremendous Atrio sub-bass extension.  If you're looking for punchy, dynamic sounding phones, go HJE900.  If you want a dark, smooth sound with a huge low end, Atrio is hard to beat.

That's sounds fairly reasonable. I liked the soundstage on the Atrios and the transparency on the HJE900. I actually liked the modded treble on the pannies, and their overall sound a bit more than the Re262 (I actually liked the Rezero more than the 262 as well), but different strokes for different folks, of course.

Nov 15, 2010 at 1:36 PM Post #87 of 128

Quote:
Quote:
Did you try out that 'special' track w/ the MG7 kitty?  How did it render compared to other phones?

I have it in my ipod as "Anaxilus"--I downloaded the highest quality version I could using keepvid.

The mg7s handle it pretty well. They keep up. . The coppers have a bit more detail, but the Atrios hang in there.

Thx, I'm sure the RIAA will be happy to hear it.  
rolleyes.gif

Nov 16, 2010 at 10:24 PM Post #89 of 128

Quote:
So...does it look like we'll get a direct comparison between the older and new Atrios?

Not sure. Someone was going to send me a pair of old Atrios from Canada, which should have arrived today or yesterday. Maybe I'll get something tomorrow? Or not.

Honestly, joker's review of v1 is, with some improvements to build and comfort, pretty much what I'm hearing now. I'll be interested to see if there is an audible difference in the treble. The new custom drivers have a boosted treble response and punchier bass compared to the previous driver customs, according to a pro sound engineer I emailed. I wonder if the Atrios are similar.

One thing though: ClieOS was right, these have definitely improved since first listen.

Nov 16, 2010 at 10:32 PM Post #90 of 128

Quote:

One thing though: ClieOS was right, these have definitely improved since first listen.

I think some, perhaps most, of that may be headphone burn-in as ClieOS suggested, but I also think some is brain burn-in.  The Atrios are WARM, like super mega warm, and if you're used to phones with a lot of sparkle, they're gonna sound unbearably dark upon first listen and will take some acclimation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back