FUN sound signatures vs cold/analytical sound signatures
Nov 10, 2012 at 9:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Poetic dreamer

New Head-Fier
What headphones/IEM's would you guys say are "Fun" to listen to?

So far I have owned:

Etymotic ER-4S

Spyder Realvoice

Superlux HD 668B

PX-100

Philips SHE3850

Of those, the only two with "fun" sound signatures were the PX-100 and the Philips SHE3850. The others all lean towards a more cold, analytical sound.

So what would you guys say are the established "fun" sounding headphones/IEM's?  I think I prefer fun over fidelity  :)

Nov 10, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #3 of 16
A cold signature is by definition high-mid through treble heavy.  Things like an Etymotic can fit this definition, and depending on fit, even the Brainwavz B2 can fit this description. 

A fun signature to me is something that is consumer friendly.  Something that is bass heavy, has a v-shape, or is warmer is something I consider fun.  This is just me though.  The definition of fun has never been set.  A lot of words actually haven't really been set.  Natural is another example of this. 

Nov 11, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:
You consider Spider realvoice to be cold / analytical?

Well, I was comparing it to the Philips SHE3580. I alternate between those two and the Spider has a more narrow soundstage, and less punchy bass. It sounds more clinical to me than the fun sound I get from the Philips.
Quote:
A cold signature is by definition high-mid through treble heavy.  Things like an Etymotic can fit this definition, and depending on fit, even the Brainwavz B2 can fit this description. 

A fun signature to me is something that is consumer friendly.  Something that is bass heavy, has a v-shape, or is warmer is something I consider fun.  This is just me though.  The definition of fun has never been set.  A lot of words actually haven't really been set.  Natural is another example of this. 

Your definition of fun is the same as mine. Headphones/IEM's that alter the sound from the original flat EQ, but still good quality and not stock earbuds.  Etymotics are known for their analytical sound. so I would love to know which headphones are known for being "fun"

Nov 11, 2012 at 12:48 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:
Well, I was comparing it to the Philips SHE3580. I alternate between those two and the Spider has a more narrow soundstage, and less punchy bass. It sounds more clinical to me than the fun sound I get from the Philips.

Your definition of fun is the same as mine. Headphones/IEM's that alter the sound from the original flat EQ, but still good quality and not stock earbuds.  Etymotics are known for their analytical sound. so I would love to know which headphones are known for being "fun"

Prepare for a long list:

1. Phonak PFE232 (all filters), PFE1xx (black filters), and PFE0xx (green filters)
  2. Westone W4 (yes I do consider this one "fun".  It's on the edge of fun and not fun) (W3 too, but I haven't heard it) :p
  3. Heir Audio 3.Ai
  4. Brainwavz M4 and R1 (M2 as well, but I haven't heard it)
  5. MEElectronics CW31 and CC51 (SP51 too, but I haven't heard it)
  6. AblePlanet SI1050
  7. Dunu Tai Chi, Trident, Heaphaes, Crater, and Hawkeye
  8. Atomic Floyd SuperDarts
  9. Nocs NS150 Crush
  10. NUForce NE700, 770, and 600
  11. V-Moda Vibrato
  12. ThinkSound MS01 and TS02 (as well as their other models though I haven't heard them)
  13. Monster Gratitude
  14. Moshi Dulcia and Moonrock (as well as Vortex; no pro; I haven't heard these)
  15. Phiaton MS200
  16. V-Moda M80 (and LP series though I haven't heard them)
  17. Aiaiai TMA-1 Studio (and non-studio but I haven't heard them)
  18. SOL Republic Tracks and Tracks Ultra (as well as Tracks HD that I haven't heard)
  19. Urbanears Zinken (and Plattan)
  20. Pioneer STEEZ 808
  21. Bowers and Wilkins C5 and P3
  22. RHA CA200 and SA950i
  23. Phillips Fidelio L1

OK, that was a long winded list of just about every IEM I find fitting the fun type.  It's basically 3/4s of every IEM I own :p

Nov 11, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Wow. Realvoice is as 'fun' as I can bear. LOL Perhaps your source is lean. I still have more fun with closer to accurate earphones than very bass heavy ones. For me, that's between the realvoice and 4p.

Nov 11, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:
Wow. Realvoice is as 'fun' as I can bear. LOL Perhaps your source is lean. I still have more fun with closer to accurate earphones than very bass heavy ones. For me, that's between the realvoice and 4p.

I may be misreading, or making a false assumption, but did you just say that the 4p (I assum ER4P) is fun?  Or is it just worded weirdly :p 

Nov 11, 2012 at 5:02 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:
Quote:

I may be misreading, or making a false assumption, but did you just say that the 4p (I assum ER4P) is fun?  Or is it just worded weirdly :p 

The ER4P(S) is about as fun as doing your laundry on a friday night. =/

Nov 11, 2012 at 8:03 AM Post #9 of 16
the most "fun sounding" iem that is also the most detailed in my possession is the sony xb90ex. If being bassy with really smooth and "rich" sounding mids along with relaxed treble is considered fun, than I guess xb90ex are way too much fun :D

Nov 11, 2012 at 10:00 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Guess you haven't heard a very good bassy one yet then lol :p.

Nov 11, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #14 of 16
Defined by whom ??

Good gear has 'a flat signature'  ie IT DOES NOT 'SOUND' of anything .
If you want 'warm' ... EQ !
If you want 'Cold' ... EQ !!

The OP asked for a definition of fun and cold. He said nothing about flat or neutral. Two completely different topics. As for the definition of cold... Used the definition of cool from the glossary. As I stated, fun was never defined, so I gave my own definition and interpretation.

Nov 11, 2012 at 10:25 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Think 'The three bears'. Most fun is just right. For me, that's more bass than 4p and less than a realvoice. I also find the 4p too etched and lean but those that use them daily aren't all mixing or mastering. They do so because that's what's fun for them. I think the assumption of way too much bass as fun is erroneous. I can as easily be annoyed by too much bass than too little and that was the point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back