"Fun" Portable headphone recommendations.
May 23, 2011 at 1:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

velvet undergrd

New Head-Fier
Hi guys!

There aren't many audiophile shops where i live, so it's hard to get out and try different pairs before buying one, so please be generous with your esteemed opinions!
atsmile.gif
I realise the go to headphones would be the HD25-1 IIs, i've read a few reviews and the general consensus is that they are quite neutral. However i wld prefer smth that sounds less neutral and more fun, like a pair of grados. (I do most of my home listening on a MS2i)

I listen mostly to classic rock, metal and acoustic: bowie, america, eagles, the smiths and i've got an iqube, so amping shldnt be a prob.

Was looking at the Denon D2000s and the Ultrasone Pro750s, but those seem too big to take on the go. Any recommendations on a pair of cans that are a little smaller but still big on sound? Really appreciate the help!

May 23, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #2 of 15
ATH-ES10?
ATH-EWS9?

Just throwing those out there, check 'em out!

May 23, 2011 at 2:21 PM Post #3 of 15
If you like the grado sound signature, iGrados..why not? Open or closed would be fine?  

May 24, 2011 at 4:23 AM Post #4 of 15

Quote:
ATH-ES10?
ATH-EWS9?

Just throwing those out there, check 'em out!

Thanks Mad Max, hadn't thought to look at Audio Technica before. The ES10s are way outta my price range, i cld be getting a much better non-portable for that kinda moolah. The ESW9 seems interesting, but user reviews are split evenly into good and bad. Have you got them personally?

Quote:
If you like the grado sound signature, iGrados..why not? Open or closed would be fine?

I'm looking at closed, dont want to bug other pple on the train or bus, that's why i ruled out the igrados. Thanks though Classakg, any other suggestions?

May 24, 2011 at 7:36 AM Post #6 of 15
What's your definition of portable? Some may call portables supra-aurals while others may call portables any headphones that look good enough for public use.

May 24, 2011 at 8:15 AM Post #7 of 15
Aiaiai Tracks for supreme comfort and portability.

Aiaiai tma-1 if u wanna pour more money into them. But they do look rather ..  large when worn due to big cups.

Aiaiai range are quite 'fun', especially the tracks which i won and love because they, as good as they are with the treble, put some emphasis on bass response.

Cant think of any..  more 'fun' cans

May 24, 2011 at 8:54 AM Post #8 of 15
For rock and metal, I disliked ESW9 and TMA1 (first way to slow, second way too dark for rock, nice for electronical though).

HD-25's are very fast, detailed and have a forward sound (Grado's are also forward sounding). They can be a bit analytical though.
ES-10's are more fun, more bass, but less detail and not as fast.

May 24, 2011 at 12:49 PM Post #9 of 15

Quote:

Thanks Mad Max, hadn't thought to look at Audio Technica before. The ES10s are way outta my price range, i cld be getting a much better non-portable for that kinda moolah. The ESW9 seems interesting, but user reviews are split evenly into good and bad. Have you got them personally?

I used to own ESW9.  I think it will be okay for your listening preferences.

HD25 will probably be a little better, I think.

May 24, 2011 at 1:37 PM Post #10 of 15
I totally love the ES10 for it's looks and sound, but can't understand why it is priced so highly. If it was in the same price range as the HD25/ESW9 it would be a lot more popular.

For it's price I at least expected it to have genuine leather earpads/headband.

May 24, 2011 at 3:51 PM Post #11 of 15

Quote:
I totally love the ES10 for it's looks and sound, but can't understand why it is priced so highly. If it was in the same price range as the HD25/ESW9 it would be a lot more popular.

For it's price I at least expected it to have genuine leather earpads/headband.

totally agreed

They also should've made some coating which doesn't scratch that easily as it does now

May 25, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #12 of 15
Thanks for all the opinions guys, i really appreciate it
beerchug.gif

Quote:
What's your definition of portable? Some may call portables supra-aurals while others may call portables any headphones that look good enough for public use.

Wldn't mind either, but i do prefer Circum-aural though, more comfortable and a better seal. I realise of course there is a trade-off in terms of size; they're usually bigger.

Quote:
Aiaiai Tracks for supreme comfort and portability.

Aiaiai tma-1 if u wanna pour more money into them. But they do look rather ..  large when worn due to big cups.

Aiaiai range are quite 'fun', especially the tracks which i won and love because they, as good as they are with the treble, put some emphasis on bass response.

Cant think of any..  more 'fun' cans

Thanks Wilzc, i hadn't thought to look at Aiaiai before. The TMA-1 looks interesting, i've been looking at comparisons between it and the HD25s, seems that the TMA-1 requires abit of EQing, that'll be hard since i do most of my listening out of a 6th gen Ipod into a IQube. Have you got the TMA-1 and did u find it too dark as Proglover says? i wldn't mind a warmer sound but not if if the treble or bass starts getting muddy.

Proglover and Mad Max are really making me lean towards the HD25s though, any word on their comfort on ears? i'm told they tend to feel uncomfortable after an hr or 2 or listening.

And yea, the ES1 wld be great, but the price is crazy! that kinda money could get me a pair of Pro900s on ebay.

May 25, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #13 of 15
Comfort will vary from person to person and the clamping pressure will depend on the size of your head. I don't find it to be that bad, but you can always stretch them slightly over an object to loosen them up a bit. Also the velour pads are said to be more comfy, but I prefer the extra isolation and bass of the vinyl/pleather pads.

May 25, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #14 of 15
I use the tracks. For ultraportability reasons. They're not as dark as their brethren the TMA-1's. The tracks are very cheerful. Sort of, V response, with the bass being the heavier end of the V. As such, they boom, but are very careful not to overpower the rest of the spectrum. They're by far my most enjoyable pair to use. I've currently got the Sony XB700, the B&W p5 and ATH AD700.

May 28, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #15 of 15
Thanks guys, i think i'd prolly get the HD25s, long established support for them here and i dont mind sacrificing a lil portability fora  bigger sound.
I've got a last contender that just came up though, SRH-840s or 940s! Does anybody own a pair and can compare them to the HD25s? I read one or two reviews that compare the 840s to the HD25 directly, and they say the 840 sound is way better although it is bigger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back