Full-sized headphone that does metal decently?
May 27, 2013 at 4:42 AM Post #46 of 63
Quote:

Depends on what you like to hear specifically in metal music.

Tyll Herstens has made a detailed review of the MDR-1R* (http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/solid-sony-mdr-1r-mdr-1rbt-and-mdr-1nc), even putting it on his "Wall of Fame" (http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame-full-size-sealed) and that's what he had to say about the sound : 

"Bass response is probably the biggest problem suffering from a lack of extension into the lowest octave and being a bit bloated in the mid-bass. The mid-range is good, but has a slightly emphasized upper-mid making the sound, especially of female vocals, present and forward, though pleasantly so. The treble is very well behaved delivering good clarity and very little, if any, treble harshness. Even though the top octave is a tad laid-back, the sense of space and audio image is surprisingly good. The balance between the bass, mids, and treble is pretty good and, though a little uneven, the overall impression is of a fairly well balanced sound."

Basically, you have a decent but slightlyy bloated bass, good mids emphasized in the upper range and great clear treble, with an overall smooth and fairly balanced sound. This could go relatively well with metal IMHO, if you are looking for a highly comfortable and portable set of headphone. It doesn't fail in any particular area and if you don't mind the slightly bloated bass and upper-mids, then for the price (199$ new) they are a good value.

Just to add, as I've listened to it myself, a music player with a good EQ can easily control the bloat - cut from anywhere between 80hz to 160hz, just experiment. However I don't think of it off the top of my head because it doesn't have enough space around my ears, although it feels a bit wider around the earlobes than the Focal Spirit One (maybe the angled drivers make a bit more space out from the head). My ears aren't even that big or angled outwards for someone my height (5'7").

May 28, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #47 of 63
Damn,

I've read too many complaints about the MDR-1r screeching because of plastic parts and the MA900 has too many complaints about the build quality. So that is really turning me off from them.

I can find the Denon D600 for around 300 USD, would that be good contender for my uses? The D600 seems to have really good build quality and even leather earpads.

May 29, 2013 at 11:46 PM Post #50 of 63
I don't think many people listenin to metal have been using the D600s, and based on what I've read, probably true for a bunch of other Denons. Very generally, Denons tend to have bass that while reasonably articulate can still get overbearing.

May 30, 2013 at 1:44 PM Post #51 of 63
Quote:
I don't think many people listenin to metal have been using the D600s, and based on what I've read, probably true for a bunch of other Denons. Very generally, Denons tend to have bass that while reasonably articulate can still get overbearing.

I thought Denons were very well regarded as metal cans, especially the D2000...

That's the thing about Head-Fi I guess, everybody just wants to contradict eachother.

May 31, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #54 of 63
My quest for closed-back headphones for metal has so far been unssuccessful. Amperior, Momentum and D600 all had bass that interfrered with the higher freqs. Ultrasone 550 pro was way too monitorlike. I adored the sound of Beyerdynamic T5p, but that's a few multitudes over my budget. Closed-back HPs with a Grado-like sound seem to be nigh impossible to find.

May 31, 2013 at 10:29 AM Post #55 of 63
Again, I think the Mad Dogs and HE-400 are both excellent for metal, although only the Mad Dogs are closed-back. With a bump in the budget, we could potentially look at the LFF Paradox (which I haven't heard, but seems like a perfect fit for metal) or something like the Fostex TH600. And I echo the sentiments about the T5p with metal-- it's utterly ridiculous how good it is. Pricey though. 

Jun 3, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #57 of 63
Went to a shop that had a huge Beyerdynamic repertoire up for trying out this time around. From the closed ones the T70 actually seemed like they could work pretty well. Guess I'm just a big junkie for a brighter sound signature. In comparison to DT880, 990, Custom One Pro and T50 they definitely sounded the best with metal music. They're kinda big for sorts of portable use, but they're still closed-back and at least somewhat sound isolating. Have to head to another store to try the DT1350 out too though before starting to torture my poor wallet.

Mad Dogs sound like a very valid choice too, but that's obviously impossible to audition for me unless I'd actually buy them right away. Bit of a risk.

Jun 3, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #58 of 63
Denon D2000 are amazing for all kinds of music, especially metal im finding. That's mainly what i listen to and i cant ask for any better honestly

Jun 3, 2013 at 4:54 PM Post #59 of 63
Ultrasone hfi780 are just as good...a little less comfortable, more bass, slightly less natural sounding but still amazing for metal (also great for movies and games)

Jun 3, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #60 of 63
Quote:
Ultrasone hfi780 are just as good...a little less comfortable, more bass, slightly less natural sounding but still amazing for metal (also great for movies and games)

Here is my vote again for the Ultrasone HFI-780. Very speaker like quality and a fantastic all rounder that does everything perfect at least for me. Everything I have thrown at them just sounds so incredible. They beat my small collection of bookshelf speakers hands down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back