Full-sized headphone that does metal decently?
Jun 3, 2013 at 8:10 PM Post #61 of 63
Quote:
If you're looking at the ATH M50, I would recommend a cheaper headphone called the AKG K240. I'm pretty sure open headphones are supposed to sound better than closed headphones. Although I've never tried the ATH M50. The AKG K240 was recommended to me as an alternative to the M50. I'm pretty new to headphones, and I've only owned this pair of AKGs and the Sony V6, and a pair of HiFiMan HE-400, and Sennheiser Amperiors, and this pair oif AKGs is much better than the V6. I got these AKG K240 headphones and I have barely taken them off since I got them.

I'm a huge metalhead, I listen to extreme stuff and light (generally speaking) metal, and other music. I'd say if you're looking for a starter headphone to get the AKG K240 and Go Dap GD-03 amplifier for 20 bucks on amazon.

The AKG K240 is open so it doesn't block out noise, in case that was a concern for you.

If you're gonna recommend AKG k240s, don't forget about the superluxes. I might be starting to sound like a fanboy here lol but they are amazing quality for the price. They sound similar to the 240s. People commented that the original hd 681s were similar to the k240s except for the harsh highs. Well now they have other versions like the 681 evo and the 668b. Those might be considered more neutral and even better for metal.

I have the 681 evos, they probably suit metal and rock better than the m50 because of the better highs and slightly more controlled bass

Jun 3, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #62 of 63
Quote:
If you're gonna recommend AKG k240s, don't forget about the superluxes. I might be starting to sound like a fanboy here lol but they are amazing quality for the price. They sound similar to the 240s. People commented that the original hd 681s were similar to the k240s except for the harsh highs. Well now they have other versions like the 681 evo and the 668b. Those might be considered more neutral and even better for metal.

I have the 681 evos, they probably suit metal and rock better than the m50 because of the better highs and slightly more controlled bass

I've never tried the Superlux headphones, so I can't recommend them. I do recommend grado headphones though. As long as you have the L pads comfort shouldn't be an issue at all.

Jun 8, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #63 of 63
A little bit more testing. DT-1350 has a kind of a bass-emphasized, fairly flat and dry downwards curve for freq response, similar to Focal Spirit One that I already have. AKG K240 sounds nice but is semi open. A bit on the bright but analytical side. Leaks sound too much for me. I did like the sound signature though.

AKG K550/551 works great though! Plenty of energy and very clear and open sound despite being closed-back. They're kinda gigantic for portable use, but sound quality-wise they're pretty much the best I've heard so far in closed back & for metal, second only to Beyerdynamic T5p.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back