Fujiya Avic 2012 Fall Headphone Festival & Tokyo Head-Fi mini meet
Oct 28, 2012 at 4:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

arnaud

Stax and Sushi
I have started to post impressions here and there so I thought I might start the official report thread.
[size=medium][/size]
For those who don't know, Fujiya Avic, a local reseller of new and used AV gear has been organizing these headphone festivals in spring and fall since a few years ago. The thing has grown so big (over 3 thousand people came to the last one) that it was held over two days this time which helped with the overcrowdedness.[size=medium]
[size=medium][/size]
With the generosity of Fujiya and help of head-fi member sasaki, we could again have a small room to gather up head-fi crowds coming from tokyo, fukuoka and even as far as the bay area! Jude provided us with a bunch of tshirts, got myself a nice cardinal one this time around :wink:. We had a pretty good gathering and I missed most of it unfortunately, hopefully I can do better next time.[size=medium][/size]
[size=medium][/size]
I will let others do the photo report as I really only took a single picture and it's of little interest to most but cute nevertheless :wink: [/size]

I had a brief listen to the Stax sr002/srm002 combo yesterday and I liked what I heard a lot!

Granted, I had never listened to baby staxes before so it was mostly a shock of how much stat goodness one can get get for that price. However, I was concerned about these reports about the thin diaphragm / sounding like an omega 2mk2. What I found is that with a proper seal, the bass is just marvelous (more like an omega 2mk1 than mk2 and actually possibly tighter than what I get from my stax amp with the omega 2 mk1. The other nice surprise is that, upon short listen at least, the sound was quite dynamic (reminiscent of my 007A(SZ2)) and fun (foot tapping), while at the same time not tipped up in the highs (e.g closer to an 007mk1 than than my 007A(SZ2) or 009 in that regard). Note that this was using the headphone out from my iphone so maybe one would get bit different impression from a better protable rig.
[size=medium]

Overall, I'd say it was shocking good for the price (there are iems priced 3x as much as the combo at the show and I doubt the best multi way ba + crossovers can beat the transparency of a full range, open back, stat driver. I could easily imagine having a rig like that when I am out of town or at least to go around other zillion rigs at fujiya's headphone festivals and sample sources 
font]
[size=medium][/size]
Only minus is that the ear plugs are probably too big for my tiny ears even though the design is smaller than the previous generation so earpiece would fall after a while without applying pressure or using the metal headband. I only tried the middle size tips, there are also S and L sizes single flange rubber tips in the box. I can't imagine what this could turn out to be with custom silicone molds! It would not be small but again the multi way BA iems are getting pretty large too 
font]
.[/size]

The other item that caught my attention was Mkubota1's AKG K-1000 (original post here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/57805/history-of-the-akg-k1000/60#post_8817119): 

Jpelg, indeed it is strikingly similar to the back of the k1000 driver! So, Mike (mkubota1) brought his k1000 along on the trip to the Fujiya Avic fall headphone festival in tokyo this week end (many thanks for this mike!!). That was the first time I could have a proper listen and it was an interesting experience. The lack of pads and natural crossfeed makes for a rather special experience, quite enjoyable. Only thing is that you feel there's a speaker right there in front of your ears so this does not quite diseappear like a 009 does for me. I wonder if this is due due spurious vibration of the frame (the whole thing is vibrating significantly with the driver), else strong directivity of the essentially unbaffled driver. In terms of bass, it was definitely clean but lacking (a bit or not so much) depending on the record. Mike said it's a late production model, hence bass lite. I guess I could get used to it if I only listened to that rig. More realistically, I would probably grow frustrated with the lack of bass quantity / extension. One thing I noticed is the presence of a passive circuit in line with the driver. There's an inductance and a surface mount resistance it seems. High pass filter to prevent the driver to go out of bounds at its resonance frequency maybe? I could not notice any obvious midrange coloration but probably it would require a more extensive test to find out. Overall, it's not like I want one badly but at least this has convinced me I need to carry through my investigation of personal HRTF equalization as discussed in the realiser thread ( [size=medium]http://www.head-fi.org/t/418401/long-awaited-smyth-svs-realiser-now-available-for-purchase/2100#post_8805662 ). Mike actually showed me tiny mics that fit at the entrance of the ear canal and may do a fine job to give a taste of the realiser.[/size]​

Last bit for me is that conversation with Stax: still working on a new amplifier, still needs some time... About the influence of Edifier: there's not been joint development until now (the recent baby stax refresh is still all made in Japan). So, it looks like they've kept their independance, which is pretty cool. Looking into organizing a visit to their office, with an interview that'd be posted on this site, so stay tuned...

That's pretty much it for me, I will let the probably much more interesting reports from others to follow!

Arnaud.

Edit 2012/11/3: The Omega 2 I owned was of type SR007A(SZ2). I bought it in summer 2010, a the same time some 007mk2(SZ3) appeared outside Japan and were coined as mk2.5 with probable change in membrane thickness / increase in brightness.

Oct 28, 2012 at 4:51 AM Post #2 of 19
I only had a few hours to run through everything and catch up with everyone, and I sort of failed at both.

In terms of the overall size/energy of the show itself, I thought it was even bigger and more crowded than the Fall 2011 show, certainly more so than Spring 2012. I spoke with a few folks who went to both Can-Jam at RMAF and also to this show and it was clear that Can-Jam's attendance was down from 2011 whereas this show had I heard 5500 participants (which is more than last year.)

I didn't spend enough time looking at everything but I didn't come away really impressed by any one thing in particular. (For instance, at the Summer 2012 show I was blown away by the Fit-Ear TO GO! 334.) Mainly my impression is that the market is increasingly crowded, that products are increasingly focused on niches within niches, and that it's an incredible and confusing time to be a lover of portable audio.

Personally, I have been reassessing what is important to me wrt how I enjoy my music, and I'm realizing that aspects that I had previously dismissed are becoming more important to me. That is to say that I'm more interested in balance- both in sound but also with respect to products themselves. I've realized that aspects such as comfort and durability are much more important to me than before- so a product with a balance of these aspects is what I'm looking for (along with the key aspect of price/performance.)

Head-fi continues to gain recognition in the market here in Japan. Japanese manufacturers want to know how to approach and contribute to Head-Fi; they know how influential this forum is but some don't quite know how to participate. The Head-fi shirts were a big hit and more than one manufacturer's representative was seen trying to barter for a Head-fi tee.

It was great to meet some new folks and I am sorry I wasn't able to join the dinner. If the dinners can be planned in advance there's a greater chance of me participating.

I'm still in the market for an open or closed headphone to replace my Grado 225s (which I sold due to comfort issues.) Desktop use, mainly. Not portable. There's almost too much choice...

Oct 28, 2012 at 5:25 AM Post #3 of 19
My thoughts.
Not well written :) mainly bullet points.

*Also my audio experience is fairly limited imho.
*I had a short time available to sample goods.
*My interest is only in portables.

Tested with ATH-ESW9.

SONY PHA-1 Dac and amp for i-devices.

I liked it.
Nice small form, light. Fits well in ones hand.

Clean sound, gets a bit harsh with too much volume.

A good little unit.

*Prefer my Fostex hp_p1.

Venturecraft Go-DapX

First impression-good but not as refined as my Fostex hp_p1 (to be expected with the different prices).

Later.

Black model.
Burr Brown OPA2134
Deep.smooth, nice mids.

Red model.
Muses8920
Brighter, but not harsh.
`cleaner` than black model.

I think it is a good product, I would rather buy this as an entry level product and forget about buying a portable amp If I was starting out again.

Also the USB/LOD looks quite strong, and is a low rider like the Fiio L9.

I tried the Hifiman (901) at the the Tokyo Headphone show today. I thought it sounded great.

Normal setting, was a simple basic sound -but still sounded good/clear.
Balanced mode sounded nice and full, mesmerizing with clear forward(at times) vocals.

I preferred balanced mode.

*HD and Classic modes - I could not tell any difference.

4.5 volume setting was loud enough.

I found the UI smooth, and the scroll wheel functions well.

I even liked the quirky volume wheel.

*All tested with my ATH-ESW9.

*Note my signature:)

Oct 28, 2012 at 6:22 AM Post #4 of 19
John from Qubiquo (Korea), Anakchan, myself, Bootsy1 and DonnyHifi in our room at the show.​

We had a both fantastic and tiring couple of days. Thanks again to Fujiya Avic and everyone who lent us gear to try, both members and vendors. We had something like most of the world's top headphones, both old and new, in one room at once.

A couple of impressions to start with.

Ray Samuels brought his Darkstar and A10. The SR-009s were a good sonic match with the A10, giving them a far more meaty sound than I was used to hearing from them. The Darkstar too is a very punch amp with orthos. 

I showed the Paradox website to the Fostex guys and chatted to them about the unexpected popularity of modded versions of the TP50s. They were pleasantly surprised by it. I asked, of course, about them making a more serious pair of orthos, of course. The impression I got is that it could become a real possibility.

TH900: Better than I remembered them. Very enjoyable sound, if the bass was a bit strong. I posted elsewhere about the idea of someone buying them along with the A8 and being done if they like the sound signature and don't want to muck about choosing a system. It is one system on my list that I'd like to do a proper review of.

Mad Dogs by MrSpeakers: Impressively good for the money - clear without being harsh. The generally "flat" FR works well with me. 

TakeT was there, again, as usual. I was always disappointed to see he was using the same, cheap Onkyo all-in-one system to power them, so I suggested, very gently, he might pair up with the Fidelix guy upstairs who makes both DSD DACs and small, neat Class A/B amps. Turns out he knows the guy as they both worked in Sony together! So I got to try the TakeT briefly on a DSD system! Was lovely, once I got a good seal. 

The interesting thing about the Fidelix power amps is that they have 50 Ohm BNC sockets on the rear. The sockets are connected to sensors which, when connected with 50 Ohm cable to the speakers as well, fix any impedance matching issues and improve the sound. I didn't have a chance to try this, but hope to at the next show as the owner has said that at the next show he will take my advice and partner up with TakeT.

More to come in this post, such as this:

Quote:
Just got back from the show. Place holder for my thoughts.

I hope you don't mind, but you left your ODAC in the room, so I've pinched it. Will mail it back to you ASAP. 
smile.gif

Oct 28, 2012 at 6:52 AM Post #6 of 19

I don't think I'll have any words but just pollute Arnaud's thread with pix of the event :-

Ultrasone Signature DJ and Signature Pro loan courtesy of TimeLord. Thank you!

Oct 29, 2012 at 6:38 AM Post #8 of 19
I'd like to hear some impressions about the recent Fosgate Signature headphone amp, which was said to be featured there. It looks very nice but there don't seem to be many users at Head-Fi.

Right now it's the only sub-$2K tube amp I can think of with analog outputs and an output impedance low enough to drive my 25 ohms TH900. It has a bass boost function, but the most intriguing feature was the surround mode, which supposedly makes the sound more 3D-like outside your head. Not sure how much truth there is to it, but definitely worth checking out.

Oct 31, 2012 at 11:07 PM Post #10 of 19
Did anyone get a chance to listen to the Ortofon amp1? The cosmetics got my attention, and Ortofon is going to be distributing its headphone line in the USA, so I'd be very eager to hear impressions.

Oct 31, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #11 of 19
Quote:
Did anyone get a chance to listen to the Ortofon amp1? The cosmetics got my attention, and Ortofon is going to be distributing its headphone line in the USA, so I'd be very eager to hear impressions.

Are you talking about this?? If so I've already written a review.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/ortofon-hd-q7-desktop-headphone-amplifier

They actually have come up with a new portable amp MHd-Q7 which I have some pix here (scroll down to the middle) :-

http://www.head-fi.org/t/632869/tokyo-e-earphone-portable-audio-festival-20th-21st-october-2012

I have this new portable amp sitting in front of me right now waiting for me to review it.

Nov 1, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #12 of 19
Sean, you should link your recent show reports in your sig to increase awareness. I bumped across your eearphone show report (great by the way!) because I started this one but would have missed it otherwise. I am sure there are many people like me who don't check every corner of the forum on a regular basis. That or you need Jude to put you on the front page, I think you're looking for a bit of stardom recognition, aren't you :wink:

Nov 1, 2012 at 1:46 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:
Sean, you should link your recent show reports in your sig to increase awareness. I bumped across your eearphone show report (great by the way!) because I started this one but would have missed it otherwise. I am sure there are many people like me who don't check every corner of the forum on a regular basis. That or you need Jude to put you on the front page, I think you're looking for a bit of stardom recognition, aren't you
wink.gif

I don't have that already!?? I'm so sad :D!! Not a bad idea to put it in the sig.

It's not so bad, but it does take time (in my case maybe 2 hrs or so) to select & fix the pictures and post up the little report. But if there's not much interest, then I'd probably use that time more wisely elsewhere :p.

Nov 1, 2012 at 9:27 AM Post #14 of 19
As it is quite long, I've posted my entire report here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/634308/fujiyaavic-2012-autumn-headphone-festival-in-tokyo-report-by-currawong

Nov 1, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Are you talking about this?? If so I've already written a review.

http://www.head-fi.org/products/ortofon-hd-q7-desktop-headphone-amplifier

They actually have come up with a new portable amp MHd-Q7 which I have some pix here (scroll down to the middle) :-

http://www.head-fi.org/t/632869/tokyo-e-earphone-portable-audio-festival-20th-21st-october-2012

I have this new portable amp sitting in front of me right now waiting for me to review it.

Similar form factor, but more powerful (650mW/ch vs. 400) and black.  If it sounds good, it will be a great complement to the similarly sized Resonessence Concero.

So far, I've only found it for sale on a German dj-equipment website, for (IIRC) 499 Euro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back