Frustrated beyond belief: I have no clue what to do.
May 15, 2011 at 5:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Ipjack

New Head-Fier

So, I'm a long time lurker (as in years), and just registered today.

Basically, I need your guy's help because I honestly just don't know what to do. Here's the situation: I've had some Beyerdynamic DT250/250s for years.  They have 2 problems: The headband is broken and they hurt my ears after a little while of listening (I think that the enclosing is too small for my ears).

The headband is probably fixable (I just need to find a replacement, I don't see it on Beyer's website); the small earpiece problem - I don't know if that can be fixed.  It's so bad, I don't know what to do - they were and are my first and only set of quality headphones.  I've loved listening to them since they day I got them, but I -hate- having to set them down 1/2 way through an album because I can't wear them anymore.   At that point, it doesn't matter how good they are - they're just sitting there and I want to keep on listening.

I bought them years ago, promising myself I'd amp them properly some day.

So now I have ~$300 to spend -

The problem is: I don't want to spend money amping something I can't even wear.  I like my DT-250s, there is just a lack of…authority (?) in the sound, especially towards the lower end - which I've always attributed to a lack of a proper DAC & amp (laptop headphone jack is where I'm at).

I've considered moving to a HD600/650 or DT880/990, hoping that they will be more comfortable (I know the Senns are vice like comfortwise, but from what I can tell, they can be loosened ; the problem remember w/ me is the smallness of the ear cover on the DT250s).

But there are 2 problems here: 1) I'm back being unamped - but I'll be at least able to wear them (but the idea is that I'd get a E7+E9 or somesuch w/in a year).   The second problem: I can't believe, after reading countless threads and post, how both incredibly helpful you guys are and yet you are all frustrating as heck.  You all provide heaps and heaps of wonderful information and then argue and don't agree one twit with one another about that information. 
smile.gif

For example, I read about the various HD6___ vs the DT___ trying to match their signature to what I think I'd prefer, and then you guys say there are new revisions of the same headphone (HD6xx I'm lookin at you) and you guys can't agree if they sound drastically different or the exact same -- it's hard enough to compare these phones and I don't know which HD revision or DT version the poster listened too when comparing  or if it even matters. 
redface.gif

AAGG! I just want to listen to the music man! 
L3000.gif

I finally broke down, registered here, and have presented you with this wall of text to beg your help.

I've got ~$300 ish now, but I can swing the HD650s.

I listen to a variety of music, the sound of artists like Diana Krall and Alison Krauss matters the most to me. Female vocals.

My #2 "genre" would probably best be represented by good ol' Stevie Ray Vaughan.  Obviously, not so much for his voice.

I'm willing to go unamped for awhile.  No, it's not ideal.  Here, it probably borders on sacrilege.  But I'm looking for headphones that will make those artists shine, and I'll build a system around them.  I'll get a DAC/Amp in a year - I'll survive that long. 

However, if there is a way to fit larger ears onto my DT-250's I'd happily consider that, if you guys feel like they are cans worth building a system around for the music I like - please let me know of a DAC/Amp for them (I was thinking the E7+E9, seems like a popular entry point but am open to other options).

I know that was a lot, I tried to sort through the hundreds of posts surrounding these issues before posting.  Please help me!  I don't want to sit here and analyze everything to death - I want to work toward a system that lets me sit back, relax, and just enjoy the  clear sound of my music.

So, new headphones? Or can I fix the Dt-250s and amp them (and is it worthwhile to do so)?

Thanks. 

May 15, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #2 of 6

Quote:

So, I'm a long time lurker (as in years), and just registered today.

That made me LOL for some reason..
tongue.gif
I wonder why lol. You should consider me "frustrating as heck" for not being useful. Oh well..

I know.. many people are gonna dislike me for bumping a new thread just for that but whatever. Sorry

May 16, 2011 at 12:14 AM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
The HD 650 are awesome, but are unbearably muddy and syrupy without proper amplification.  If you can't get an amp, I'd stick with low-impedance phones.

Diana Krall's voice sounds best with Martin Logan and her voice deserves the Sennheiser HD 650. I do not have any HP dedicated amp but a good budget Pio Elite A 25r Integrated amp and my HD 650 perform flawlessly within my set up. If you have a good CDP, good cablles, a decent integrated amp, forget the dedicated amp since you do not need one to drive the HD650. I love my HD 650 and I love the HD650 more with Diana Krall's silky voice.

As other recommend the HD 598 that must be another good air of cans but with more engaged type of sound . I have a lower model which is the HD 558 and the HDxx8 series has a bit 

May 16, 2011 at 2:46 AM Post #6 of 6
I'd go for the HD-650. Great headphones and you can amp them cheaply.

Do you have an old receiver around? If it has a headphone jack, use it. If not, you should be able to find one for $20-$50 at a junk store or on Craigslist. Receivers aren't ideal, but one will work fine until you can get a good amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back