From DT880's to Orthos
Sep 10, 2011 at 4:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

0rangutan

500+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I am really keen to try out some orthodynamic headphones, but am not sure which would make the best starting point for my preferences.

Of the many conventional headphones that I have owned, I am most keen on the sound signature of the Beyer DT880, more so than Senn HD650's.

Out of the LCD2's and the various HifiMan orthodynamic models, from what I have read, I suspect that the HE4 might be the closest, however this is really just guesswork.

Can anyone with experience of these 'phones help advise?

Thanks,
John

Sep 10, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #2 of 6
T50RP
Mod like crazy

It's like the ortho starter kit.

I say this because I liked the LCD-2, but not the price tag. Sure, it's cheaper then the other flagships, but the amps to drive it go up in price easily.

What's your setup?

Sep 10, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #4 of 6
If you dont mind the price of the LCD 2s, get them. Wonderful headphones. If not, a great model would be the Hifiman He-4, similar to the dt880 but better.

Sep 10, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
HRT Streamer II+ into Woo WA3

I would recommend the T50RP to anyone who can mod it a little

It's about $130 after modding and I compare mine to the LCD-2

The LCD-2 on the other hand is a great headphone. But I question if you'd actually like the LCD-2 after the DT880. You would be going from a neutral can to a balanced one.

Sep 11, 2011 at 5:50 AM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
I would recommend the T50RP to anyone who can mod it a little

It's about $130 after modding and I compare mine to the LCD-2

The LCD-2 on the other hand is a great headphone. But I question if you'd actually like the LCD-2 after the DT880. You would be going from a neutral can to a balanced one.

Yup, the fostex are great. Good point about the LCD 2s too, that's why I suggested a Hifiman He-4 for the OP if he wants to have a similar sound sig

Users who are viewing this thread

Back