Frogbeats Custom-IEM Appreciation Thread
Mar 19, 2013 at 12:36 AM Post #406 of 867
Quote:
Yea, I have great patience for everything except getting my toys. Had to go for the rush order option or there won't be enough tables around for me to flip.

He promised that it'll be done by the end of the month so let's see what happens.

Haha for some reason I imagined a person plowing through a university library flipping every single table in sight when I read your comment. Had a good chuckle there :p

Mar 19, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #408 of 867
i got a mail from them "Sorry for the delayed response Hamad, I've been away over the weekend. Rush orders take 5 days build time and then allow 4 days for shipping. Is there anything else I can help you with?"

IS THIS TRUE!!! i am so going to order one if it is only less than two week!!! C5 is better than C4 right?

Mar 19, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #409 of 867
Quote:
i got a mail from them "Sorry for the delayed response Hamad, I've been away over the weekend. Rush orders take 5 days build time and then allow 4 days for shipping. Is there anything else I can help you with?"

IS THIS TRUE!!! i am so going to order one if it is only less than two week!!! C5 is better than C4 right?

Well, I would say to add a week to that time due to other stuff that's not mentioned. Typically you need to ship impressions to him, he needs to ship it to the factory, then the 5 day build time starts. After the build and they get it back, I assume they need to check it or tune it. After all that stuff, they would send it to you and that's the beginning of the 4 days for shipping.

From what I read, the C5 could be "better" for you if you like the sound sig. It's simply tuned for a bit more mid-bass than the C4 which is supposedly tuned to a neutral response. I'm not exactly sure why it's a bit more expensive though, since it's the same drivers and just different tuning.

Mar 19, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #410 of 867
Quote:
Well, I would say to add a week to that time due to other stuff that's not mentioned. Typically you need to ship impressions to him, he needs to ship it to the factory, then the 5 day build time starts. After the build and they get it back, I assume they need to check it or tune it. After all that stuff, they would send it to you and that's the beginning of the 4 days for shipping.

From what I read, the C5 could be "better" for you if you like the sound sig. It's simply tuned for a bit more mid-bass than the C4 which is supposedly tuned to a neutral response. I'm not exactly sure why it's a bit more expensive though, since it's the same drivers and just different tuning.

5 drivers instead of 4, 1 low 2 mid 2 high. If you like bass or plan to be out and about in noisy places, the C5 may be for you.

Mar 19, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #412 of 867
Quote:
5 drivers instead of 4, 1 low 2 mid 2 high. If you like bass or plan to be out and about in noisy places, the C5 may be for you.

i like the neutral yes but also dont wana lose the bass, i wont be using it in a noisy place maybe sometimes.

my miracle is on the way, i was reading about the A.8, can the C5 go a head against these?

Mar 19, 2013 at 12:26 PM Post #413 of 867
Quote:
I was listening through a Sennheiser HDVD 800 DAC/Amp. It made my C4 and the HD 800s sound slightly similar. I'm not too good at describing sound. But if I were to use a comparison, I would say that the C4 sounds like a miniature HD 800 with the 800s a lil more extended here and there and a much vaster soundstage. My C4s in comparison sound sort of like a more intimate 800. I probably won't get the chance to compare the two anytime soon again, but I don't really feel too motivated to get the 800s after ABing the two.

I actually haven't heard the HDVD 800 since availability is limited and no one in Texas that I know of has it yet.
redface.gif

Your impressions are similar to what I hear, intimate is a good word to describe the C4. You're also right in that with normal everyday recorded tracks, you are not going to be missing much in detail and clarity going from the C4 to the HD 800. The biggest win of the C4 is the simple plug and play nature of the CIEM. I enjoy the pairing with my Sansa Clip+ immensely. On the other hand, you won't be getting all of what the HD 800 has to offer unless you have the budget to invest into a good amp (priority) and DAC (to a lesser extent) to pair with it. Having heard quite a few different Head-Fier HD 800 setups with my own reference recordings, I can safely say the difference between a good and bad setup is extremely apparent to the ears.

With audiophile tracks and well mastered orchestral pieces, I significantly prefer the HD 800 setup I have. Also for home use, I prefer the HD 800 not only for the sound they offer, but for headphone soundstage and comfort. Sometimes I forego both in favor of speakers.

Is it worth $3000-$4000 to get a decent HD 800 setup if you already have the C4 in terms of improvement in sound quality? Only if you have the money and the financial ability to drop such an amount on this hobby.  

Mar 19, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #414 of 867
Quote:
i like the neutral yes but also dont wana lose the bass, i wont be using it in a noisy place maybe sometimes.

my miracle is on the way, i was reading about the A.8, can the C5 go a head against these?

Wait, you have a UM Miracle coming and you want another ciem?

In theory, the C5 should be on the same level as those two. I don't think you'll be losing bass but rather gain more bass with the C5 in comparison to the C4. But in reality, there are so few of Frogbeats around that this is just all theorycrafting.

If you can afford it, go for it!

Mar 19, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #415 of 867
Quote:

There aren't that many current Frogbeats owners with extensive experience in other CIEMs.

If you're very insistent on a comparison, you can PM LFF or project86 for their experience with the C4 against other CIEMs. Based on reviews and my own experience with these two individuals, they know what they're talking about and may be able to give more accurate comparisons. 

Mar 19, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #416 of 867
Hey... has anyone has experience with aftermarket cables? I'm thinking of having a j-corded cable made for when I get my pair.

Mar 19, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #417 of 867
Quote:
Hey... has anyone has experience with aftermarket cables? I'm thinking of having a j-corded cable made for when I get my pair.

Mine actually are a bit messed up, sent an email to David regarding compatible cables and am waiting for a reply.

Mar 19, 2013 at 2:48 PM Post #418 of 867
Quote:
Mine actually are a bit messed up, sent an email to David regarding compatible cables and am waiting for a reply.

My cable pins don't insert all the way in. Is that also a bug with the cable?

Mar 19, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #420 of 867
Quote:

i've heard miracle before . luckily , my friend's miracle fit my ear almost over 90 percent .......... quick impression compare to my C4 , the miracle has a bit more bass but do not impact as my c4 , treble extend slightly more on my C4 . To my ear , miracle has a vast soundstage ...... however C4 has even bigger sound stage and C4 become the CIEM  which has the biggest soundstage i've ever heard ( i heard JH13 Pro freqphrase , miracle , Mage , Rooth LS8 , UERM , UE18 and coming up will be Fitear MH335 DW ) .......... as the result , my friend sold his miracle and become a new C4 owner ( i swear it is true :wink:) )
for my taste , i even prefer the UERM to miracle .......... and about the C5s , sry i can't help you , don't have any experiment about C5s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back