Frogbeats Custom-IEM Appreciation Thread
Mar 18, 2013 at 9:15 AM Post #376 of 867
Quote:
Well I broke down and ordered a set of UEIMs.  They're in stock for immediate shipment so shouldn't take too long to get here. When/if my C4s finally arrive I'll compare them and keep one (may not be the C4s).  Didn't get the Heir or Shure (or RE-400s).  I'll do the comparison then reveal.
smily_headphones1.gif

I must say it's refreshing to get responses to my inquiries in 10 minutes rather than 10 days.

Thanks again to every one for you helpful comments.

I have just received an email that my C4 is completed and is being shipped back from the factory at China.

Mar 18, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #377 of 867
Quote:
Specifically, how would you describe your C4s vs your Hd800s? I got to demo them once again, and wonder if my thoughts were accurate from such a short AB session.

I actually haven't done much direct comparison between the 2 since the review as it was just to give the reader a general idea.

I have to stress that the greatness of the HD 800 is heavily dependent on the amp/source being used. I find it a very pleasant pairing with the Fostex HP-A8C, much more so than the previous O2/ODAC I was using. It's a smoother, less brittle sound that is probably is my favorite solid state sound I've heard out of the HD 800s to date. That being said, I just went to a mini-meet yesterday and heard it out of a Decware tube amp + Concero, just fantastic.

Heard the Liquid Glass + HD 800 pairing as well.
redface.gif
 Kinda wish I hadn't, the RAC tube pairing was the best I've ever heard the HD 800s. Lusting after the amp but the price is holding me back after my recent purchases. 

I can give you my thoughts with my pairing, but it might not reflect what the HD 800s you listened to sound like. Do you know the amp/DAC that the store was using? 

Mar 18, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #378 of 867
Quote:

I have just received an email that my C4 is completed and is being shipped back from the factory at China.

Gratz man!!! :D

Mar 18, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #379 of 867
I've recently acquired the TDK BA200s universal IEMs and I'm very impressed. I wasn't expecting to like them so much, but now I know IEMs are capable of a lot more than I expected. 

The sound is so, open, they sound much more open than my pair of closed headphones. Soundstage depth is simply insane, could the effect be enhanced by not having anything on or over your ears? 

I'm actually contemplating to sell my hifiman HE-400s in order to buy the c4s, now I know what uiems are capable of, I'm very curious about some good ciems.

Mar 18, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #380 of 867
Quote:
I'm actually contemplating to sell my hifiman HE-400s in order to buy the c4s, now I know what uiems are capable of, I'm very curious about some good ciems.

If you gonna get some C4's, be prepared to pay for a rush order or for a potentially abominably long wait :p

Mar 18, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #381 of 867
Quote:
I actually haven't done much direct comparison between the 2 since the review as it was just to give the reader a general idea.

I have to stress that the greatness of the HD 800 is heavily dependent on the amp/source being used. I find it a very pleasant pairing with the Fostex HP-A8C, much more so than the previous O2/ODAC I was using. It's a smoother, less brittle sound that is probably is my favorite solid state sound I've heard out of the HD 800s to date. That being said, I just went to a mini-meet yesterday and heard it out of a Decware tube amp + Concero, just fantastic.

Heard the Liquid Glass + HD 800 pairing as well.
redface.gif
 Kinda wish I hadn't, the RAC tube pairing was the best I've ever heard the HD 800s. Lusting after the amp but the price is holding me back after my recent purchases. 

I can give you my thoughts with my pairing, but it might not reflect what the HD 800s you listened to sound like. Do you know the amp/DAC that the store was using? 

I was listening through a Sennheiser HDVD 800 DAC/Amp. It made my C4 and the HD 800s sound slightly similar. I'm not too good at describing sound. But if I were to use a comparison, I would say that the C4 sounds like a miniature HD 800 with the 800s a lil more extended here and there and a much vaster soundstage. My C4s in comparison sound sort of like a more intimate 800. I probably won't get the chance to compare the two anytime soon again, but I don't really feel too motivated to get the 800s after ABing the two.

Mar 18, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #382 of 867
Quote:
If you gonna get some C4's, be prepared to pay for a rush order or for a potentially abominably long wait :p

I would absolutely go for the rush order, just reading these horror stories makes me worked up.

Btw, I was wondering if the custom in ear principle, has a clear benefit that makes them better sound qualit wise than universals?

Mar 18, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #383 of 867
Quote:
I would absolutely go for the rush order, just reading these horror stories makes me worked up.

Btw, I was wondering if the custom in ear principle, has a clear benefit that makes them better sound qualit wise than universals?

Custom fit in your ears allows for a deeper insertion. This allows for signficantly superior noise isolation, which means the amount of detail your ears can hear goes up. This also helps with listening at lower volumes without having to strain to catch the background music. Deeper insertion offers signficantly more bass emphasis, and in the case of the C4 a signficiantly superior soundstage to the UIEMS I've heard.

Drawbacks include having to get impressions made, making sure they're perfect, and understanding that you'll likely have to get a reshell every so often down the road (and price of course).

Mar 18, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #384 of 867
Quote:
Custom fit in your ears allows for a deeper insertion. This allows for signficantly superior noise isolation, which means the amount of detail your ears can hear goes up. This also helps with listening at lower volumes without having to strain to catch the background music. Deeper insertion offers signficantly more bass emphasis, and in the case of the C4 a signficiantly superior soundstage to the UIEMS I've heard.

Drawbacks include having to get impressions made, making sure they're perfect, and understanding that you'll likely have to get a reshell every so often down the road (and price of course).

Hmm, well, I have something weird to share with you.

I'm not sure, if I, have an ear canal. SHOCK 0_o
No I have one obviously, but It's either incredibly shallow, or very, very thin or mishaped. I actually think my ear canal has a severe hump, or is sort of S shaped. 

If I try to put anything in there, it just hits this bump, or wall of cartilage it seems. I bought this kit, where you can make your own custom mold ear protectors.
And it's clearly visible that my ear canal is very shallow, or mishaped. I can take a picture of these molds if anyone is interested.

With the BA200s and the comply tips, it goes in as far as possible, and actually isolates just as well if not better as the custom ear protectors. So I don't think these benefits for customs, will be so beneficial for me.

Mar 18, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #385 of 867
Quote:

No I have one obviously, but It's either incredibly shallow, or very, very thin or mishaped. I actually think my ear canal has a severe hump, or is sort of S shaped. 

If I try to put anything in there, it just hits this bump, or wall of cartilage it seems. I bought this kit, where you can make your own custom mold ear protectors.
And it's clearly visible that my ear canal is very shallow, or mishaped. I can take a picture of these molds if anyone is interested.

With the BA200s and the comply tips, it goes in as far as possible, and actually isolates just as well if not better as the custom ear protectors. So I don't think these benefits for customs, will be so beneficial for me.

1st step is clean the wax 2nd step is to take the impressions(ofc follow the right way of taking it else you will have to re-shell) and then show us the impressions after you take it :D we have seen many so we might be able to know if there  is a problem or not 

Mar 18, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #386 of 867
Quote:

Hmm it depends on each individual's ears and some may benefit from CIEM much more than the rest.

If universals work for you with no isolation or comfort issue, you can stay on with it without worrying that you are losing much. Advantages of custom often revolve around better isolation, comfort and fit so that performing musicians can sing and jump around without having their their in-ears fall off nor lose seal.

Only thing I dislike about universals is that some of the upper tier ones are bulky and the weight distribution on your ears are poor, resulting on wearing fatigue after a while. Also, they are very sensitive to eartips and different eartips can greatly alter the sound signature.

Mar 18, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #387 of 867
Quote:
1st step is clean the wax 2nd step is to take the impressions(ofc follow the right way of taking it else you will have to re-shell) and then show us the impressions after you take it :D we have seen many so we might be able to know if there  is a problem or not 

I don't think it's earwax, it's literally a wall of cartilage. Quite hard really. 
I'll make some photos of the molds, you can see that the end of the ear canal insertion, it's completely smooth. In both ears, so it really isn't earwax, or anything that's removable.

Mar 18, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #388 of 867
Quote:

Hmm it depends on each individual's ears and some may benefit from CIEM much more than the rest.

If universals work for you with no isolation or comfort issue, you can stay on with it without worrying that you are losing much. Advantages of custom often revolve around better isolation, comfort and fit so that performing musicians can sing and jump around without having their their in-ears fall off nor lose seal.

Only thing I dislike about universals is that some of the upper tier ones are bulky and the weight distribution on your ears are poor, resulting on wearing fatigue after a while. Also, they are very sensitive to eartips and different eartips can greatly alter the sound signature.

Yes, in comfort customs win, and there are no "is this tip really the best tip" uncertainties which is nice. 
I'm just wondering if it's possible to get to the same level of sound quality with a uiem as that of a ciem.

Mar 18, 2013 at 7:39 PM Post #389 of 867
Quote:

That's great uelover!

BTW,  also got an email that my C4s are completed,  should be shipped later this week. David even attached a pic.
smile.gif

I had to laugh when the email arrived an hour +/- 2 minutes after I had ordered the UIEM.  I considered cancelling the UIEM order but decided to keep it.  I have a bit of concern about fit as the audiologist (the only one within 100's of k)  didn't even know what IEMs were.  Now if they don't fit I can deal with it and still be listening to music.

Also I am looking forward to having quality IEMs to compare the C4s to.  The UEIM is very highly thought of and has very different design philosophy and technology so it'll be interesting. 

Having IEMs for comparison and backup is well worth the cost to me even if I end up selling the UEIMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back