Frogbeats Custom-IEM Appreciation Thread
Mar 11, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #301 of 867
I have to hold my hands up and concede that I was rather vocal in defending David, on the basis that he might be working very long hours to keep up with manufacturing demand, but I am now hearing that he is outsourcing the manufacturing to China (which is rather misleading, given all the PR about being 'UK-based').

I still stand by the principles of what I said, in my aforementioned post, but I do concede that if he was more upfront about frogbeats CIEMs being made the other side of the world, then people would be less surprised when the process takes a long time. In other words, a little more business transparency wouldn't go amiss. UK customers expecting a faster turnaround than if buying from China (e.g. Heir or UM Labs) may feel misled if frogbeats are promoted as being 'UK-based', when they're actually being made in China. I for one am certainly disappointed to hear that the manufacturing is being outsourced.

Mar 11, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #302 of 867
Quote:
David has been answering my inquiries within a day or two so it's not too bad. I've been promised that I'll get the pair by the end of the month per rush order.

Perhaps David answers inquiries within a day or two if it's a rush order but my last inquiry regarding shipping was about a week ago and I'm still waiting. And it's almost 9 weeks since my impressions arrived at Frogbeats, still no word if they've been shipped or not. 

I guess if you want your CEIMs in a reasonable amount of time you need to place a rush order.

Mar 11, 2013 at 11:10 PM Post #303 of 867
Quote:
I have to hold my hands up and concede that I was rather vocal in defending David, on the basis that he might be working very long hours to keep up with manufacturing demand, but I am now hearing that he is outsourcing the manufacturing to China (which is rather misleading, given all the PR about being 'UK-based').

I still stand by the principles of what I said, in my aforementioned post, but I do concede that if he was more upfront about frogbeats CIEMs being made the other side of the world, then people would be less surprised when the process takes a long time. In other words, a little more business transparency wouldn't go amiss. UK customers expecting a faster turnaround than if buying from China (e.g. Heir or UM Labs) may feel misled if frogbeats are promoted as being 'UK-based', when they're actually being made in China. I for one am certainly disappointed to hear that the manufacturing is being outsourced.

Yea I was a bit surprised too but since I ordered after knowing that it's a bit easier to swallow the wait time. Are there any vendors that do the whole thing in UK? Like, the whole process? Just wondering if anyone knows.

Quote:

Perhaps David answers inquiries within a day or two if it's a rush order but my last inquiry regarding shipping was about a week ago and I'm still waiting. And it's almost 9 weeks since my impressions arrived at Frogbeats, still no word if they've been shipped or not. 

I guess if you want your CEIMs in a reasonable amount of time you need to place a rush order.

Yea maybe. But I doubt I could wait for 3-4 weeks anyway so it was always going to be rush order if I went the Frogbeats route. I hear the UERM is only 1-2 weeks?

Mar 11, 2013 at 11:45 PM Post #304 of 867
Quote:
@uelover: Sorry to hear that, I understand the frustration that comes with waiting as I'm already looking forward to it even though it only got picked up today! As for Frogbeat's response time, David has been answering my inquiries within a day or two so it's not too bad. I've been promised that I'll get the pair by the end of the month per rush order.

Given that I work in a small manufacturing company that deals with international suppliers, I can understand the time frame required to make something like this. I was considering a pair of UERM because I live in California where UE is based so it's probably easier to deal with but that darn review by LFF... well you know how it goes.
tongue_smile.gif

I received prompt day and sometimes hourly responses when I ordered my C4s, however, right after I placed the order, CS times started lengthening from 3 days at first to 7 days and sometimes two weeks.

Mar 12, 2013 at 1:43 AM Post #306 of 867
Quote:

That's kind of worrisome. Let's hope it doesn't happen.

We'll to be honest, the only reassuring comment I can give you is that the final product will indeed be good....I think...I'm not too experienced in audio as others.

I'm, wondering, do you guys sweat when you wear CIEMs? By sweat, I mean the inner ear. It sometimes gets slipperly that I feel that it might come out, although it is still snuggly fit inside.

Mar 12, 2013 at 3:09 AM Post #308 of 867
Quote:
The only other custom makers I know of who I think do the whole process in the UK is ACS customs, their a big outfit who do hearing protection as well.

There's also Minerva (also a big outfit whose primary market is ear protection and hearing aids). I haven't purchased from them, but I did converse with their main CIEM staff member there, Lee, who was helpful and well-informed.

Both Minerva and ACS make their CIEMs from silicone, so I don't know of a truly UK-based vendor who makes acrylic CIEMs.

Mar 12, 2013 at 3:18 AM Post #309 of 867
Soundmagic PL-50s sound better than Frogbeats C-4's

because I can actually listen to the PL-50's.  After almost 9 weeks of waiting since Frogbeats received my impressions, I still don't have my C4's.  So if you're not paying for rush ordering resign yourself to a looooong wait and silence when asking Dave at Frogbeats about your order.

Is it really worth it to wait intermidably for a product that MAY BE good rather than actually listening to music with a CEIM from a competitor who actually values your business and ships you their product in a reasonable time?

Yes, I'm frustated after spending almost $800 and having nothing to show for it 3 1/2 months after my payement.  Not even a prompt response to my email.

FWIW,

db

Mar 12, 2013 at 3:24 AM Post #310 of 867
So...

PL-50 > C4 because you don't have them? lol

Dude I've been waiting nearly as long you have. And I'm not whining... yet. I'm starting to get curious about the long wait, though. (I do have more important stuff to worry about, so that might be why I'm not in an outrage :p).

Mar 12, 2013 at 3:29 AM Post #311 of 867
Quote:
Soundmagic PL-50s sound better than Frogbeats C-4's

Yes, I'm frustated after spending almost $800 and having nothing to show for it 3 1/2 months after my payement.  Not even a prompt response to my email.

That's great! I love the PL50s and E30s. Think there might be a spare at home as well. Phew good thing I didn't go for these that would have been an embarrassment 
wink.gif

But honestly that is a ridiculous wait time. Delays are turning out to be UM-group-buy-fiasco long. I guess it is a good thing I didn't get these in the end.

Mar 12, 2013 at 3:48 AM Post #312 of 867
Quote:
So...

PL-50 > C4 because you don't have them? lol

Dude I've been waiting nearly as long you have. And I'm not whining... yet. I'm starting to get curious about the long wait, though. (I do have more important stuff to worry about, so that might be why I'm not in an outrage :p).

Yes, the PL-50 (or any other EIM) that I might have sounds a lot better than C4's that I don't (and may never) have.  I'm not whining, $800 wasted isn't a whine, it's an outrage. I guess I don't have more important stuff to worry about.

I'm a pensioner who loves music and $800 is a lot of money to me.   I would think it's at least worth a prompt response to an email.

Hopefully my posts can help others avoid the aggravation.

Mar 12, 2013 at 3:54 AM Post #314 of 867
Just a show of hands, how many weeks has everyone been waiting? I remember mine at most was like 8-10 weeks including that long CNY break they took without announcing anything, cough cough. 

Mar 12, 2013 at 3:57 AM Post #315 of 867
Since they received my impressions... I'm at 6 weeks. I highly doubt I'll be getting them in the next week though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back