Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Oct 19, 2016 at 1:51 AM Post #8,926 of 12,086
Perhaps it would negate confusion if we start calling the one sewn to the stock pad the "earpad back plate" or "earpad sound-focusing plate" and the other the "mounting ring".

Notable differece, plate vs. ring.

Oct 19, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #8,927 of 12,086
How is everyone's luck with the polishing kit?

It solved the general glossyness and the bubble wrap mark. But didn't help with the hole and dimples with the lacquer on my Purpleheart.

Oct 19, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #8,928 of 12,086
Even after electing to return my Purple Hearts, Massdrop sent me a polishing kit. I guess it will be good to hang on to in the event I need it for the Ebony drop. If not, I'll probably send it out to a fellow user in need.

Oct 19, 2016 at 6:44 PM Post #8,929 of 12,086
How is everyone's luck with the polishing kit?

It solved the general glossyness and the bubble wrap mark. But didn't help with the hole and dimples with the lacquer on my Purpleheart.

Yeah, it doesnt remove orange peel and they dont give you enough to do a proper job.

Oct 19, 2016 at 9:38 PM Post #8,930 of 12,086
Perhaps it would negate confusion if we start calling the one sewn to the stock pad the "earpad back plate" or "earpad sound-focusing plate" and the other the "mounting ring".

Notable differece, plate vs. ring.

Yea, since the mounting ring is what people will see at first sight when taking off the pads that is a ring and being plastic, and the inner plate is unique enough a design to be aware of, people not in the know naturally refer to the mounting ring when we say either "ring" or "plastic".

Yea, pretty much one redundant rubbish post I am making I know. Just want to thank @m8o for the head up
rolleyes.gif

Oct 19, 2016 at 10:43 PM Post #8,931 of 12,086
Pad attenuating ring.

Pad mounting ring.

People need to keep in mind that the pad ear hole shape/size/pad height/ pad angle play a role in the sound too. There's a measurable different between thx00 pads and Denon D2k pad.

Oct 25, 2016 at 10:33 PM Post #8,932 of 12,086
I found the stock pads on the PH very comfy after owning them for 3 months. I also found that I did not like the sound signature as much as cheaper headphones like Focal Spirit Pro which is sad considering the gorgeous look of the THX00 PH. I wish PH has more emotional mids and bass at the properly sealed region like 30hz to 50hz.

Oct 28, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #8,933 of 12,086
I found the stock pads too stiff and hurt after 1-2 hours. While it wasn't bad, I do want to wear them for longer periods. While the alpha pads seem to be the way to go on this thread, zmf omni pads seem to be preferred on the EMU thread. So I ordered both and will be doing a comparison soon!

Oct 28, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #8,934 of 12,086
  I found the stock pads too stiff and hurt after 1-2 hours. While it wasn't bad, I do want to wear them for longer periods. While the alpha pads seem to be the way to go on this thread, zmf omni pads seem to be preferred on the EMU thread. So I ordered both and will be doing a comparison soon!

Hahaha I like the idea you guinea piggin for the rest of us... hehhehe!!! Do tell us how that goes. We'll decide then.
gs1000.gif

Oct 28, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #8,936 of 12,086
Granted, I haven't used these headphones much (or headphones in general much), but what is the problem with the stock pads? They seem comfy enough for me. I do not listen more than 35-40 minutes at a clip though, so that could be part of it.

Oct 28, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #8,937 of 12,086
  Granted, I haven't used these headphones much (or headphones in general much), but what is the problem with the stock pads? They seem comfy enough for me. I do not listen more than 35-40 minutes at a clip though, so that could be part of it.

For me the problem with the stock pads are that the ear hole is a little small and I found the pads to be a little hard.

I prefer the Alpha or TH-900 pads.

Of course IMHO, YMMV, yada yada yada...

Oct 28, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #8,938 of 12,086

For me the problem with the stock pads are that the ear hole is a little small and I found the pads to be a little hard.

I prefer the Alpha or TH-900 pads.

Of course IMHO, YMMV, yada yada yada...

The TH900 pads are indeed more room. Do they make the sound less focused, or reduce bass or affect stage or stuff in any way? Always been curious. Will need a replacement when my stocks die.

The Hm5 leather angled ones are a downgrade IMO.

Oct 28, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #8,939 of 12,086
The TH900 pads are indeed more room. Do they make the sound less focused, or reduce bass or affect stage or stuff in any way? Always been curious. Will need a replacement when my stocks die.

I have TH900, Alpha and Omni Pads. In my experience:

TH900 pads - thinner sounding, more airy and wider soundstage I think, a bit prone to sibilance, but bass has more low end rumble. More v-shaped but still sounds pretty good overall.

Alpha pads - YMMV, but I don't like the sound with this. It was an old pads I used with my K551 that I enjoy a lot, however sounds kinda rough with TH-X00 for some reason.

Omni pads - tamed the high end a bit, I think a slightly bigger soundstage and smoother sound overall. Sounds not much different than the default pads, but a bit more refined. Won't suit those looking for treble I think.

Of course, again YMMV :)

Oct 28, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #8,940 of 12,086

I have TH900, Alpha and Omni Pads. In my experience:

TH900 pads - thinner sounding, more airy and wider soundstage I think, a bit prone to sibilance, but bass has more low end rumble. More v-shaped but still sounds pretty good overall.

Alpha pads - YMMV, but I don't like the sound with this. It was an old pads I used with my K551 that I enjoy a lot, however sounds kinda rough with TH-X00 for some reason.

Omni pads - tamed the high end a bit, I think a slightly bigger soundstage and smoother sound overall. Sounds not much different than the default pads, but a bit more refined. Won't suit those looking for treble I think.

Of course, again YMMV
smily_headphones1.gif

Hmmm... so do you recommend TH900 pads over stock? And what do you mean THINNER SOUNDING? So treble and rumble BOTH?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back