Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Sep 20, 2016 at 9:27 PM Post #8,642 of 12,087
Listning to Stevie Ray Vaughn, " The Fire Meets the Fury". Just Killer on Modi Multibit/ Vali 2 in Apple lossless from my Mac Mini.. Mine are just the mahogany ones, but they are fab in this little system.

Sep 21, 2016 at 12:54 PM Post #8,643 of 12,087
I've just joined the TH-X00 gang

I'm expecting my Purple Hearts to arrive tomorrow
biggrin.gif

Sep 21, 2016 at 2:04 PM Post #8,644 of 12,087
  I've just joined the TH-X00 gang

I'm expecting my Purple Hearts to arrive tomorrow
biggrin.gif

Great, enjoy them. They are lovely headphones

Sep 21, 2016 at 8:34 PM Post #8,645 of 12,087
I see MassDrop has a new drop for Dekoni ear pads.  Has anyone seen or preferably listened to X00 headphones with the Dekoni headphone pads (either the base or the lambskin variant)?

For those who have, how do these compare to the stock earpads?

Sep 22, 2016 at 12:48 AM Post #8,646 of 12,087
I see MassDrop has a new drop for Dekoni ear pads.  Has anyone seen or preferably listened to X00 headphones with the Dekoni headphone pads (either the base or the lambskin variant)?

For those who have, how do these compare to the stock earpads?

From the drop page:
Made specifically for the Massdrop Community, these ear pads can't be found anywhere else.

Maybe CEE TEE has tried them.

Sep 22, 2016 at 1:02 AM Post #8,647 of 12,087
Wish the had more room for the ears.

Sep 22, 2016 at 1:44 AM Post #8,648 of 12,087
From the drop page:
Maybe @CEE TEE has tried them.

Hello!  I'll try to give them a shot on Friday...they feel really nice and someone has been trying them.  Just asked him for his impressions and heard a quick thought that they removed some treble glare from the TH-900.  Not quite scientific results as of yet.  
wink.gif

Sep 22, 2016 at 2:22 AM Post #8,649 of 12,087

Hello!  I'll try to give them a shot on Friday...they feel really nice and someone has been trying them.  Just asked him for his impressions and heard a quick thought that they removed some treble glare from the TH-900.  Not quite scientific results as of yet.  
wink.gif

I'd love to hear your impressions on how they affect the TH-X00 as well.
Thanks!

Sep 22, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #8,651 of 12,087
  I'd love to hear your impressions on how they affect the TH-X00 as well.
Thanks!

Same. I think the only thing holding me back from unconditionally loving the PHs is a slight amount of treble glare. If these pads can fix that, they might be my ticket to happy ears.

Sep 22, 2016 at 9:43 AM Post #8,652 of 12,087
Those Dekoni pads have the same inner dimensions.  I needed more space for my big ears, so I went with Lawton, also installing the tune-up kit while at it.  Lawton pads have a circular inner diameter vs. the stock 'D' shape.  Much nicer fit, never gets warm/hot even with hours of listening (granted I'm in a very comfortably air-conditioned home!) Can't say that the pads alone changed the sound much, but the tune-up kit smoothed everything out, and together make these great cans.  They'll set you back more than $35, though!

I'm going to see about getting large rubber o-rings to set around the cups between the wood and the frame and see if I can get a bit more isolation, probably when I get around to swapping out the cable.  Just haven't had time yet, but still very pleased with the overall sound.

Also, not to hijack or cross threads here, but these have paired very nicely with the Darkvoice OTL tube amp (also from Massdrop) and that's with stock tubes.

Sep 22, 2016 at 11:36 AM Post #8,653 of 12,087

I'm going to see about getting large rubber o-rings to set around the cups between the wood and the frame and see if I can get a bit more isolation, probably when I get around to swapping out the cable.  Just haven't had time yet, but still very pleased with the sound. 

That is an intriguing thought.  When I cover the backs of my HD650's the sound changes dramatically.  I'm wondering how it will affect these.

Sep 22, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #8,654 of 12,087
It would be nice to own the dekoni sheep skins but not if they change the sound sig.  Any reduction in bass is a no-go.

I think you have to pay to find out though since nobody owns them. 

Sep 22, 2016 at 7:21 PM Post #8,655 of 12,087

That is an intriguing thought.  When I cover the backs of my HD650's the sound changes dramatically.  I'm wondering how it will affect these.

Same happens when I cover the bass ports on my Thunderpants, which is why some of the various T50RP mods have cups with more ports on them (more bass and soundstage, I'd think).  But a direct comparison to those cans sitting on a wood headphone stand with the cups completely sealed (as they would be on my head) yields very little sound leakage, even leaving the ports uncovered, whereas the PH's... well, they just don't isolate.  You can hear everything!  Granted, the drivers are completely different, but other closed headphones I own seal the sound far better than the PH's.   I don't know how much difference the O-rings will make, but I can see a pretty good gap between the wood and the frame on my set, and I have to imagine this is where much of the sound is leaking from.  Will update when I get around to it, hopefully this next week!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back