Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Sep 19, 2016 at 3:50 PM Post #8,626 of 12,086

Another Mapletree Audio fan here.  I tried my X00 Mahogany's with several head amps and found the V-shaped response a bit deficient in the midrange.  The MAD Ear+ does a nice job of filling in the midrange and rounds out the highs a bit as well.  Very pleased.

Very interesting.

Note: You are the 1st Connecticut Head-Fier I've seen since, well... myself. lol.

Sep 19, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #8,627 of 12,086
(off topic) I curse Waterbury every time I drive through from Danbury to Hartford.  Anyway, local to me.

I often go to NY or Philly meets.  Maybe see you sometime.

Sep 19, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #8,628 of 12,086
  (off topic) I curse Waterbury every time I drive through from Danbury to Hartford.  Anyway, local to me.

I often go to NY or Philly meets.  Maybe see you sometime.

I curse Waterbury too (the traffic where you're hitting it is CRAZY), and I live here. Well, I live next to the golf course, right outside of Naugatuck Valley Comm. College (my son goes there). It also helps that I work from home, so I don't hit any traffic there. When I do leave, I don't stay around Waterbury. I go elsewhere, haha. I was thinking of going to a NY meet. If we can find more CT people, maybe we can actually have a local meet.

Sep 19, 2016 at 7:59 PM Post #8,630 of 12,086
Heads up for anyone wanting to buy these from Massdrop... DONT!!! They are a complete disaster! Buy them used here or ebay, anywhere else really. I really wish I had. I might have paid $50-$100 more, but I really could care less at this point.

They lie about the expected ship date to get their money, then play this game of; "it's coming from our vendor... it's headed to the warehouse... now it's headed to the shipping warehouse... now it's headed to the distributions warehouse... we'll get you guys an update soon"... on and on with this stuff for weeks. Even months in the case of the poor folks who got on the Mahogany/Purppleheart drop. Those guys got really hosed.

If another drop comes up, don't believe the expected ship date, or that anyone there knows what the heck is going on. Discussion pages explain it all: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/fostex-x-massdrop-th-x00/talk

Sep 19, 2016 at 8:20 PM Post #8,631 of 12,086
  Heads up for anyone wanting to buy these from Massdrop... DONT!!! They are a complete disaster! Buy them used here or ebay, anywhere else really. I really wish I had. I might have paid $50-$100 more, but I really could care less at this point.

They lie about the expected ship date to get their money, then play this game of; "it's coming from our vendor... it's headed to the warehouse... now it's headed to the shipping warehouse... now it's headed to the distributions warehouse... we'll get you guys an update soon"... on and on with this stuff for weeks. Even months in the case of the poor folks who got on the Mahogany/Purppleheart drop. Those guys got really hosed.

If another drop comes up, don't believe the expected ship date, or that anyone there knows what the heck is going on. Discussion pages explain it all: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/fostex-x-massdrop-th-x00/talk

That sucks that the last drops left a bad taste in your mouth. I was part of the first TH-X00 drop (serial # 00274) and the drop went very smoothly. No shipping delays, no beating around the bush.. had them before Christmas too.

Sorry you are having such a bad experience.. I really don't know how that feels cause everything about the TH-X00 went very smoothly for me and I didn't even have to part with my money for much longer than a month.

Sep 19, 2016 at 9:09 PM Post #8,632 of 12,086
  That sucks that the last drops left a bad taste in your mouth. I was part of the first TH-X00 drop (serial # 00274) and the drop went very smoothly. No shipping delays, no beating around the bush.. had them before Christmas too.

Sorry you are having such a bad experience.. I really don't know how that feels cause everything about the TH-X00 went very smoothly for me and I didn't even have to part with my money for much longer than a month.

Exactly, because they had the items in stock at their warehouse (or almost there) before starting the drop. Since then, several of Massdrop's "custom" drops have been too far in advance of ship date, as in several months. They run the higher risk of these QC or delay situations occurring, and people getting incensed about it. They need to return to running the drops much closer to when they are going to ship; ie. when the items are in their warehouse. I like Massdrop but collecting money so early and shipping so late, even by Massdrop standards, will lose customers.

Sep 20, 2016 at 1:03 AM Post #8,633 of 12,086
Ya, Well, Massdrop and I are largely on a break over their continual false advertising of 'expected' ship date. Yet, These HP are worth the aggravation.

I suspect the $39 HiFiMan IEM I bought in April that still didn't ship, will not be. (Yes, they advertised shipping earlier in Sept and I still opted I'm on the drop)

Sep 20, 2016 at 1:10 AM Post #8,634 of 12,086
I figure I'll go for the E-MU Teak instead. QC issues and shipping disasters all in one drop? I'm thinking fate is speaking to me, if you know what I mean. Going to cancel my order. Murphy's law can be a person, for sure.

Wish everyone else the best of luck on the drop though.

Sep 20, 2016 at 2:08 AM Post #8,635 of 12,086

>>> Comic Sans.

Lol I have that same stand but removed the silly plate

Why? It's so silly that's funny :) Not a bad stand though.

For people disappointed about the way drops go these days, make yourself a favour and get the Meze instead. They absolutely slaughter the TH-X00s everywhere except sub bass. Seriously.

Sep 20, 2016 at 4:34 AM Post #8,636 of 12,086
Sep 20, 2016 at 6:18 AM Post #8,638 of 12,086
Really? Are Purple Hearts that much better than Mahogany? Because on mine the mids are like 10m further back compared with the Meze. I am really sensitive to mids so that's one thing I noticed comparing A/B.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back