Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Sep 22, 2016 at 7:46 PM Post #8,656 of 12,086
Same happens when I cover the bass ports on my Thunderpants, which is why some of the various T50RP mods have cups with more ports on them (more bass and soundstage, I'd think).  But a direct comparison to those cans sitting on a wood headphone stand with the cups completely sealed (as they would be on my head) yields very little sound leakage, even leaving the ports uncovered, whereas the PH's... well, they just don't isolate.  You can hear everything!  Granted, the drivers are completely different, but other closed headphones I own seal the sound far better than the PH's.   I don't know how much difference the O-rings will make, but I can see a pretty good gap between the wood and the frame on my set, and I have to imagine this is where much of the sound is leaking from.  Will update when I get around to it, hopefully this next week!

Tried it on my mods using bluetak, theres more to leakage/low isolation than just the side vents. The way the pads mount attribute to it as well.

Sep 22, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #8,658 of 12,086

Yes, Eudis, I was thinking about that as I installed the Lawton tune-up... I forget exactly what I had in mind when I saw it, but basically getting some kind of seal between the drivers and the frame to which the pads clip in.  That's not an issue on the Thunderpants because the fabric/leather of the pads themselves wrap around the burlwood cups so there's no gap at all, plus the wall of those cups may be thicker, both of which contribute to the better isolation they offer.

All that said, one of the nice things about the PH's is the wide soundstage (for a 'closed' headphone) and I think I may lose that if I tighten things up too much, so I'm trying not to do anything irreversible (except the cable mod).

Sep 23, 2016 at 12:54 AM Post #8,659 of 12,086
  Will update when I get around to it, hopefully this next week!

I look forward to it.  

Right now I'm listening to my new ZMF Vibro Mk2's, and at this point I don't care when my Fostex get shipped.   =)   Zach did a wonderful job on these.

Sep 23, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #8,660 of 12,086
Afternoon all. Just received my Purple Hearts and I was wondering how much burn in is recommended before they sound their best?

Sep 23, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #8,662 of 12,086
None, just let your ears get adjusted to the sound instead.

Are you saying they don't change with burn in? Or to just listen as it burns in? (which I obviously will be doing anyway)

Sep 23, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #8,663 of 12,086
  Are you saying they don't change with burn in? Or to just listen as it burns in? (which I obviously will be doing anyway)

Everyone has different opinions on this.  He will tell you that they don't change with burn in and someone else will tell you that they do change with burn in. 

Just listen to it as it burns in and then leave it on overnight low volume kill two birds one stone. 

Sep 23, 2016 at 5:04 PM Post #8,665 of 12,086
I'm a believer in burn-in. My guitar amp speaker had a burn-in time recommended by the manufacturer and the sound changed dramatically over the course of burning it in. To a lesser extent, I'm sure some headphones also need to burn-in to arrive at their true sound signature. Besides, my damn treble-sensitivity would notice if the peaks didn't mellow out. 

Sep 23, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #8,666 of 12,086
Who's to say the sound didn't get worse when using the gear more?

I find it funny, that all the changes through burn-in are always just "what the doctor ordered", exactly in the direction one hopes.

Like a K701 "now has slammin' bass!".

Sep 23, 2016 at 7:38 PM Post #8,668 of 12,086
I think the TH-X00 does need burn in. Maybe it comes down to individual drivers in headphones that determines if the sound changes with burn-in. I do find that subbass increases and the highs aren't as sharp after burning in a few hundred hours of pink noise.

Sep 23, 2016 at 8:28 PM Post #8,669 of 12,086
After a month or so wait (for the Mahogany/Purpleheart folks, a couple of months of waiting) Massdrop cancelled both Mahogany orders. I rushed to ebay and bought a used pair as soon as I got this email. Looks like something is seriously wrong at Fostex. If I were waiting around until November for my Ebony's, I would start to get worried right about now.

Sep 23, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #8,670 of 12,086
  After a month or so wait (for the Mahogany/Purpleheart folks, a couple of months of waiting) Massdrop cancelled both Mahogany orders. I rushed to ebay and bought a used pair as soon as I got this email. Looks like something is seriously wrong at Fostex. If I were waiting around until November for my Ebony's, I would start to get seriously worried right about now.

Wow, this is not a good look for Massdrop or Fostex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back