Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Jan 4, 2016 at 12:58 AM Post #3,736 of 12,087
Asking again about this, don't want to be impatient and do something to ruin $400 headphones.  Should I just ask in one of the Denon DX000/TH-600/900 topics?  I know people have experience modding this family.  I actually reached out to two of the people who did this mod on here (for other headphones in the family) and never got a response.  I feel like I asked how to join the freemasons or something.

I would do that (eg. Inquire in other threads). Someone is likely to point you in the right direction.
It's not a hard thing to do and any technician or experienced hobbyist will be able to change this easily. I'm going to be doing it myself but only after I get a new soldering iron.... In March :frowning2:.

Jan 4, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #3,738 of 12,087
some more good news, I've got a well modded :/ but a Sony MDR Z7 heading my way, that should make for a nice comparison to the TH X00, I'm going to have to update my old thread into just a big honking modded Closed Back thread lol 

Jan 5, 2016 at 4:39 AM Post #3,739 of 12,087
Yikes just got a reply looks like I can get a hold of the TH900 pads from the japan headquarters :).  Don´t make the decision to sell it easier or spend more money... It tame the bass but how is it with mid range. Pushed forward or back?

Jan 5, 2016 at 8:04 AM Post #3,740 of 12,087
These cans obliterate everything else in it's price range. 
Not a fan of the pads though, probably because I'm spoiled by HD800's comfort.
Put some HM5 pleather pads on them and I feel that these and the HD800 are the only pairs you'll ever need.

Jan 5, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #3,743 of 12,087
  So I got a pair of SMC connectors to use for a removable cable mod (this is the connector I bought based off the recommendation in another topic).  How exactly do I wire this thing, is it just as simple as cutting off the cable near the hole and soldering the two wires to that small, half-open end of the SMC connector?  I know how to solder, just not 100% on what and where exactly I'm supposed to be soldering.  Doesn't really seem like there are other options, but I just wanna make sure I'm not gonna do something dumb.

Got some help from PETERK and DavidA regarding this, in case anyone else wants to do this mod and is as clueless as me.  Turns out you solder the signal/+ wire to that central pin sticking out, and you solder the ground/- (brown wire) to some point on the hex part.

Jan 5, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #3,744 of 12,087

Has this headphone been compared to the Oppo PM-3? If so, can someone direct me to the post? Thank you. 

Not yet. Other oppos though.

I sent you a PM.

I have both. Wrote a small write up in Oppo PM-3 thread.

Short version:
- Both sound very pleasant to my ear (warm signature, punchy bass, not too bright treble). 
- I like TH-X00 sound slightly better (mainly because of it's soundstage and glorious bass).
- PM-3s have better isolation and portability (TH-X00 are not portable at all in my opinion).
- I am keeping both HPs.

Jan 5, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #3,746 of 12,087

Short version:
- Both sound very pleasant to my ear (warm signature, punchy bass, not too bright treble). 
- I like TH-X00 sound slightly better (mainly because of it's soundstage and glorious bass).
- PM-3s have better isolation and portability (TH-X00 are not portable at all in my opinion).
- I am keeping both HPs.

Thank you!

Jan 5, 2016 at 6:57 PM Post #3,748 of 12,087
Same here, love both cans! I plan to make the TH-X00s portable by shortening the cable and fitting a 3.5mm Oyaide plug. Don't have any problems jogging with huge headphones on :blush:

Re-cabling gonna be good step towards portability. 

But other things I am concerned about when I talk about portability - durability of the device, how well it will operate in desired environment.

I am concerned to damage TH-X00. Not because of the money I paid, but mainly because they look gorgeous. A significant scratch will bother me.

Also sound leakage is there. And they also do not isolate that well. So jogging in a quiet park should be okay, but flying on a plane (what I do with PM-3), is not going to be fun.

Jan 5, 2016 at 7:44 PM Post #3,749 of 12,087

Short version:
- I am keeping both HPs.

Very nice, it's good to hear how they compare 

honestly, I have a thing for Wood anyways, so the TH X00 was an easy buy for me

I also had a chance to listen to the PM2 an I remember it being... 100% tasteless. It was good, with everything but...  it kinda scaled... ok yea it scaled but it sounded REALLY really neutral but maybe in a tasteless sense... it sounded very dead... like standing on a vast open plain covered with nothing but ash an dead trees ... lifeless. My point is I'm not super keen on what I heard from the First OppO headphone I heard... I'd imagine the HE X an PM2 share a level of... quality that's not dependant on source, though the HE X has a very lively sound 

my point being, I kinda dig the the TH X00s color, my HE 4 is very neutral but it's still has some charecter, namely it's really aggressive

Jan 5, 2016 at 10:10 PM Post #3,750 of 12,087
Re-cabling gonna be good step towards portability. 

But other things I am concerned about when I talk about portability - durability of the device, how well it will operate in desired environment.

I am concerned to damage TH-X00. Not because of the money I paid, but mainly because they look gorgeous. A significant scratch will bother me.

Also sound leakage is there. And they also do not isolate that well. So jogging in a quiet park should be okay, but flying on a plane (what I do with PM-3), is not going to be fun.

The finish on the cups does ding pretty easily. I have a small ding that caused the finish to discolor for a literal 3 inch drop. I would worry about dings more than scratches. This is part of why I would have preferred a matte finish over the gloss finish, more durable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back