Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Jan 7, 2016 at 1:56 AM Post #3,767 of 12,089
Here we go... # 721 has finally arrived. Took its time, but well. Now let's have a close listen...

Hope I can find someone who takes care of a cable mod in Germany or at least the EU.

Jan 7, 2016 at 7:26 AM Post #3,775 of 12,089
Any thoughts on this as an entry level budget desktop amp for them?

http://www.project-audio.com/main.php?prod=headboxsea&cat=accessories&lang=en

Output impedance is too high. Wouldn't pair well with TH-X00. Look for something with low output impedance, preferably below 1.

Jan 7, 2016 at 7:27 AM Post #3,776 of 12,089
Any thoughts on this as an entry level budget desktop amp for them?

http://www.project-audio.com/main.php?prod=headboxsea&cat=accessories&lang=en

nooooo.  

It will likely sound worse out of that than straight out of an iPhone.  Literally about the only thing these need is low output impedance for damping.  Anything under 4 ohms should be good, but the lower the better.  That amp is 20 ohms.  These are very efficient headphones, and they don't need much in the way of power to make them loud enough, and that's basically all that amp will do, make them louder.  

Jan 7, 2016 at 8:00 AM Post #3,777 of 12,089
I've now put about 20 hours of listening time into my set (not a lot i know). They are for home use only, sticking to Etymotic ER4 and B&W P5 for office at the moment.

In this time they bass has tightened up and I suppose there is potential for more improvements over time.

At the moment i can't decide if I love them or hate them! At times I think the bass is too much and the mids to recessed.

I'm going to try out different pads and see how that goes.

However, was thinking also about these being only semi-closed. With my Sony Mdr1a the bass was improved to me by putting tape on the bass port. I was thinking about trying some similar experiments with the th-x00, but it is not so obvious where the openings are; is there a gap between the wooden cups and plastic? Any thoughts?

Jan 7, 2016 at 8:10 AM Post #3,778 of 12,089
I've now put about 20 hours of listening time into my set (not a lot i know). They are for home use only, sticking to Etymotic ER4 and B&W P5 for office at the moment.

In this time they bass has tightened up and I suppose there is potential for more improvements over time.

At the moment i can't decide if I love them or hate them! At times I think the bass is too much and the mids to recessed.

I'm going to try out different pads and see how that goes.

However, was thinking also about these being only semi-closed. With my Sony Mdr1a the bass was improved to me by putting tape on the bass port. I was thinking about trying some similar experiments with the th-x00, but it is not so obvious where the openings are; is there a gap between the wooden cups and plastic? Any thoughts?

A) in most experiments done on this line of headphones (Denon D7000, D5000, D2000, TH600, TH900) covering up the bass ports turned them into cheap sounding bass head cans that you could buy for $100.  Something like the Sony XB series, with bloated, ugly bass that does sound gigantic, and then nothing else.

B) Your options for covering up the bass ports are: 1) Taping over the entire small gap between the wood and the plastic 2) removing the cups and filling the two indents with glue and then putting the cups back 3) don't do this, please.

Jan 7, 2016 at 8:12 AM Post #3,779 of 12,089
It's a shame to see profiteering on a community focused drop. Kudos to those head-fiers reselling at cost price.

Yes blame the buyers not the sellers in term of auctions. 

As for cable mod do not ask about that here at head-fi. It´s full of scammers. Scammed twice actually so yes do your research. Never got a problem otherwise but cables is as treachorous as snakes.

Jan 7, 2016 at 8:23 AM Post #3,780 of 12,089
Wasn't planning anything permanent, such as glue. Sounds like not much chance of an improvement then. Has anyone gone the other way on denons and opened them up more?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back