Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Dec 9, 2015 at 1:03 AM Post #2,131 of 12,086
  hehe this is true, my girlfriend... she really does love wood. I'd imagine other women an men may also find these irresistible too ;3

As the great Sterling Malory Archer would say "Phrasing!" 
biggrin.gif
But in all seriousness, based on people's early impressions thus far, these headphones have piqued my interest almost to the max. I also love how the wood grain pattern is unique for each pair. @ibs63 has the best pattern I've seen so far.

Dec 9, 2015 at 1:08 AM Post #2,132 of 12,086
  It took DHL 4 days to get package from EDISON, NJ to Secaucus, NJ. this is roughly 30 miles.  With this speed of movement my package will arrive at the destination in 1370 days or roughly 3.7 years.

That's normal for DHL though.  Nothing to worry about.  If the package looks suspiciously opened too, that's also normal.

Dec 9, 2015 at 1:13 AM Post #2,133 of 12,086
I'm thankful my tracking info is exactly the same as some members here lol.

Dec 9, 2015 at 1:20 AM Post #2,134 of 12,086

As the great Sterling Malory Archer would say "Phrasing!" 
biggrin.gif
But in all seriousness, based on people's early impressions thus far, these headphones have piqued my interest almost to the max. I also love how the wood grain pattern is unique for each pair. @ibs63 has the best pattern I've seen so far.

right hhh

though what can I say, we have a common interest! I own 6 wood backs atm, heck I use Wood Banana hangers for my Headphones Stands [cheap as dirt an they work nicely with a single strip of Door Insulation, that one sided sticky stuff] 

still though these look an sound great 

Dec 9, 2015 at 1:20 AM Post #2,135 of 12,086
  No I'm not saying your options are limited to Alphas, but I've used both Lawton Angled an Alpha Pads with my LA D5k an LA D2k headphones, both use Fostex OEM drivers an I've found the best results with those two pads in particullar. Definatly try the Hifiman pads that you have :D, I'm just saying the stock Pads have always been terrible with this series of headphones 

How hard is it to swap the pads? Do they just pull off or is something more required? I've been picking around the edges of mine and it seems like it wouldn't be too hard to yank off but don't want to accidentally screw them up. I'm currently ok w/the stock pads but all this talk about the Alpha has been tempting...

Dec 9, 2015 at 1:24 AM Post #2,136 of 12,086

How hard is it to swap the pads? Do they just pull off or is something more required? I've been picking around the edges of mine and it seems like it wouldn't be too hard to yank off but don't want to accidentally screw them up. I'm currently ok w/the stock pads but all this talk about the Alpha has been tempting...

Crap I'll take a picture of my Naked LA D5k tommorow

but there is a white Ring that rotates... counter clock wise? Maybe Clock wise, but rotate the ring an then it will lift out of up from again'st the drivers, then remove the ring from the stock pads an slap the Alpha's over top, I can say they REALLY improved the "ring" system on the TH X00, I still fight for like 10mins doing pad swaps on the LA D5k, the TH X00 uses the same mechanism but it's... much less finnicky! 

Dec 9, 2015 at 1:36 AM Post #2,137 of 12,086
3 months from now a bunch of poor people are going to look for impressions and reviews of this headphone when massdrop drops them again. Unfortunately, they will have to wade through hundreds of posts updating about or complaining about their tracking information. Seriously people!

I am really, really enjoying the first impressions and the discussion on pad rolling and amp pairing. But the constant, and frankly ridiculous, posts where people feel they need to share all their tracking information is ruining this thread. I cannot be the only one here that feels this way.

If you folks really feel the need to check in with each others tracking info please make thread in general discussions or something to do so and stop unnecessarily lengthening this thread with trivial information that will be completely unhelpful 1 week from now.

Dec 9, 2015 at 1:37 AM Post #2,138 of 12,086
Who will be using these out in public like cafes and transportation? I'm asking because I'm thinking these may be too over the top and way too irresistible to the opposite s e x.

I used them in a coffee shop yesterday.  Good looking women found me irresistible with them on!  But to their credit, they fought the urge to swarm me.  Ladies here are very demure.  Apparently.

Dec 9, 2015 at 1:39 AM Post #2,139 of 12,086
I used them in a coffee shop yesterday.  Good looking women found me irresistible with them on!  But to their credit, they fought the urge to swarm me.  Ladies here are very demure.  Apparently.

Maybe women there just don't like wood.... I better shut up before I get swarmed by the pc police:p

Dec 9, 2015 at 2:04 AM Post #2,142 of 12,086
Really wish i jumped on this drop!

There's a few used pairs for $380

3 months from now a bunch of poor people are going to look for impressions and reviews of this headphone when massdrop drops them again. Unfortunately, they will have to wade through hundreds of posts updating about or complaining about their tracking information. Seriously people!

I am really, really enjoying the first impressions and the discussion on pad rolling and amp pairing. But the constant, and frankly ridiculous, posts where people feel they need to share all their tracking information is ruining this thread. I cannot be the only one here that feels this way.

If you folks really feel the need to check in with each others tracking info please make thread in general discussions or something to do so and stop unnecessarily lengthening this thread with trivial information that will be completely unhelpful 1 week from now.

this is true

I forget to mention amp pairing though :O I'm enjoying them out of my NFB10ES2, I'll admit to liking it for it's BLACK background an some what Dark Sound Sig, though I own a lot of very BRIGHT transparent cans 

But to keep the bass nice an tight, I'd recommend getting a nice solid state, nothing warm 

Dec 9, 2015 at 2:08 AM Post #2,144 of 12,086
A few more early impressions...

Bass performance seems to be a little extra sensitive to the mixing and mastering. Songs with forward bass in the mix and a lower bass frequency focus in the master can turn into absolute slop and even start eating the rest of the track.

Songs with a higher frequency bass focus tend to sound much faster and more responsive.

This seems to all be related to stored energy coming from the subbass region. I think it's a combination between the cup and the pads. I swapped on some D2000 pads for a bit and it helped clear a little bloat on problem tracks, but at the cost of bass volume and impact. They also created a touch of unevenness in the treble. Overall, a lateral move, rather than a leap forward.

I haven't opened the cups yet, but I think placing a series of four 0.125" X 1" strips of Creatology foam in a circle around the inner perimeter of the cup may alleviate the decay issue without eating up too much bass. I used a similar method on the D2000. Just thinking out loud.

Honestly just slap some Alpha Pads on there, I found it to not only increase the db's of the sub bass a touch, but it added a nice sense of texture an a little more speed to the headphone

the Stock pads on the TH X00 are as bad as the ole Stock pads from the ADH DX000k series 

also

Just to note: the Denon pads used are overstuffed with polyfill and don't quite resemble the stock version. I wasn't really suggesting them, merely using them to test some hypotheses about the pad composition's effect on the sound.

While I'm a fan of Mr. Speakers, I view the alpha pads as having only a few specific functional modding benefits. Using them here probably wouldn't be compatible with my goals. I'm glad they are working for you, though. I've used them to great benefit on other headphones.

Dec 9, 2015 at 2:17 AM Post #2,145 of 12,086
Just to note: the Denon pads used are overstuffed with polyfill and don't quite resemble the stock version. I wasn't really suggesting them, merely using them to test some hypotheses about the pad composition's effect on the sound.

While I'm a fan of Mr. Speakers, I view the alpha pads as having only a few specific functional modding benefits. Using them here probably wouldn't be compatible with my goals. I'm glad they are working for you, though. I've used them to great benefit on other headphones.

If you were very serious about modding you could also apply a very small amount of Dynamat towards the back lower chamber of the Cups them selvs, my W1000x Has some inside an... it ate up a lot of the decay in the bass! Frankly, the mid bass is about as tight HE 4, though only issue is Sub Bass roll off in the can it self. Still that's one way to go

an it seems you know full an well what your looking for an doing, Price wise doing your own mods is ofc the best route to take! Let us know what you find ^^ I found I enjoyed the Alpha pads an I hope your able to find a pad that you like as well! I would also recommend the Lawton Pads, they really make a world of differance in terms of decay, where as the Alphas are Dark, the Lawtons are very balanced! Ofc the issue there is price 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back