Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Dec 8, 2015 at 10:00 PM Post #2,102 of 12,086
I'm curious to how the Lawton angled pads would do. I've been listening for a while now and my ears are getting super hot and a lil sweaty and the bass is loose and not textured. These pads def need replacing.

Hmm Honestly, I have no intention of Pad Rolling my LA D5k when they get back to me with Lawton Pads, but the Lawton pads have... a more even sound than the Alphas do, the Alpha pads add sound stage an SUB bass, at the cost of the mids. I had the Lawton Pads on my LA D2k an I quite enjoyed them. Given that the TH X00 has a touch more mids than the LA D5k does, I think the cheaper Alphas will be the best Bang for the buck. 

Judging from feedback, it seems that the alpha pads are giving similar results to what I experienced on the Shure 1540. Me likes...

right, they Alpha Pads do the same thing to the TH X00 they did to my LAD5k as well 

We just may be enlisting the services of the same member.  Looking forward to seeing your posted pictures as well.  
beerchug.gif

I'll just come out an say, that I prefer using PeterTek for my recables. He's done 2 of my Modular Mini XLR to 4pin XLR cables an he does an excellent job! 

Dec 8, 2015 at 10:01 PM Post #2,103 of 12,086
Dec 8, 2015 at 10:03 PM Post #2,104 of 12,086

...I'll just come out an say, that I prefer using PeterTek for my recables. He's done 2 of my Modular Mini XLR to 4pin XLR cables an he does an excellent job! 

I bet he does - his pictures of his mods are legit! 
beerchug.gif

Dec 8, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #2,105 of 12,086
A few more early impressions...

Bass performance seems to be a little extra sensitive to the mixing and mastering. Songs with forward bass in the mix and a lower bass frequency focus in the master can turn into absolute slop and even start eating the rest of the track.

Songs with a higher frequency bass focus tend to sound much faster and more responsive.

This seems to all be related to stored energy coming from the subbass region. I think it's a combination between the cup and the pads. I swapped on some D2000 pads for a bit and it helped clear a little bloat on problem tracks, but at the cost of bass volume and impact. They also created a touch of unevenness in the treble. Overall, a lateral move, rather than a leap forward.

I haven't opened the cups yet, but I think placing a series of four 0.125" X 1" strips of Creatology foam in a circle around the inner perimeter of the cup may alleviate the decay issue without eating up too much bass. I used a similar method on the D2000. Just thinking out loud.

Dec 8, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #2,107 of 12,086
A few more early impressions...

Bass performance seems to be a little extra sensitive to the mixing and mastering. Songs with forward bass in the mix and a lower bass frequency focus in the master can turn into absolute slop and even start eating the rest of the track.

Songs with a higher frequency bass focus tend to sound much faster and more responsive.

This seems to all be related to stored energy coming from the subbass region. I think it's a combination between the cup and the pads. I swapped on some D2000 pads for a bit and it helped clear a little bloat on problem tracks, but at the cost of bass volume and impact. They also created a touch of unevenness in the treble. Overall, a lateral move, rather than a leap forward.

I haven't opened the cups yet, but I think placing a series of four 0.125" X 1" strips of Creatology foam in a circle around the inner perimeter of the cup may alleviate the decay issue without eating up too much bass. I used a similar method on the D2000. Just thinking out loud.

Honestly just slap some Alpha Pads on there, I found it to not only increase the db's of the sub bass a touch, but it added a nice sense of texture an a little more speed to the headphone

the Stock pads on the TH X00 are as bad as the ole Stock pads from the ADH DX000k series 

also

Dec 8, 2015 at 10:50 PM Post #2,109 of 12,086
Honestly just slap some Alpha Pads on there, I found it to not only increase the db's of the sub bass a touch, but it added a nice sense of texture an a little more speed to the headphone

the Stock pads on the TH X00 are as bad as the ole Stock pads from the ADH DX000k series 

also

I just can't get myself to use those pads, they make a beautiful headphone look awkward as hell lolol, looks like I'm going with stock th900 pads or Lawton angled. Unless someone can convince me on a pleather brainwave that are big enough for my ears and won't feel as hot and sweaty as these stock x00 pads do.

Dec 8, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #2,111 of 12,086
I just can't get myself to use those pads, they make a beautiful headphone look awkward as hell lolol, looks like I'm going with stock th900 pads or Lawton angled. Unless someone can convince me on a pleather brainwave that are big enough for my ears and won't feel as hot and sweaty as these stock x00 pads do.

hhh that is true the Lawton Pads look good

but I've had Alpha's on my Denons So long I kind like the look, infact I REALLY like the look of those pads with the Solid Black metal accents My LA D5k will have the Lawtons 

Dec 8, 2015 at 11:24 PM Post #2,113 of 12,086
I'm not scheduled to get mine until next monday. I'm in MT.

Ha.  Then I'm next to last, and you'll be the last one.  We will get the latest and greatest, fresh off the assembly line -- the ones that got that super-duper, last minute fix to the bass and the upgraded cable ('cause they ran out of normal, cheap cable they used on the earlier units).  
biggrin.gif

Dec 8, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #2,114 of 12,086
Just received mine. This will be my first true pair of hifi headphones, with CHC Silverados being the only thing I've really heard before this. And while they may not crush vocal driven songs like those did...the bass. Oh baby the bass. Everything sounds so much more open and clear too. There is actual depth to the music now! I haven't even gotten a dac and amp for these yet, but it's hard to imagine how much better it can get! I think this might be the start of a very painful hobby for my wallet...

Speaking of which, can anyone confirm that the O2 is superior to the Vali on these headphones from first hand use? Want to be sure before potentiality turning down a offer I got for a cheap Vali.

Also, got 1100 for the serial number, which is cool since 11 is my birthday month. :D

Dec 8, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #2,115 of 12,086

Ha.  Then I'm next to last, and you'll be the last one.  We will get the latest and greatest, fresh off the assembly line -- the ones that got that super-duper, last minute fix to the bass and the upgraded cable ('cause they ran out of normal, cheap cable they used on the earlier units).  
biggrin.gif

An right! Honestly, I'm getting my TH X00 recabled, the Extra $100 for some 24AWG OCC an a 4pin XLR are worth it imo 

I actually like the look of the alpha pads
smily_headphones1.gif

Me too ^^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back