Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Nov 26, 2015 at 8:21 AM Post #211 of 12,086
  I'm worried that my mjo2 will be too warm for the th-x00 and possibly cause smoke and later flames to come from this efficient hp. So, I'm considering a lower powered neutral amp to make a better pairing. I'm thinking Asgard 2 or Valhalla 2...thoughts?

Glad to hear you kept the Mjolnir2.
I would think it'll give you the tube-rolling capability. So why not get the simpler Asgard2?

Nov 26, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #212 of 12,086
Hi all, I just joined headfi but l am a long-time audiophile.  I had a pair of Stax decades ago and currently have an ATH-M50x that I use with a digital grand piano but wanted to get something a bit better to get myself back into higher-end headfi.  

I had been looking at the Final Audio Pandora/Sonorous VI and the Hifiman HE560, but then became interested in the AQ Nighthawk (even with the controversial reviews, I love the research they put into the product).   And of course now this Fostex/Massdrop collab has really piqued my interest. 

So I think it's come down to either the NH or THX00 for me.  I like their price points (although I can also get very good pricing on the HE560) and if I want to move higher up the price chain later on, I'll make that move then.

I know that not many have heard the THX00 yet especially in a controlled environment - but if anyone has heard both of these, can you comments on the differences?   I did a search on this thread but didn't get any hits.  I listen to virtually all genres but mostly jazz and vocals.  

Thanks!

Nov 26, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #213 of 12,086
Jumping onto the train, eyes closed and screaming, hoping for a good ride! Price too good to ignore.

Fostex sound here I come!

Nov 26, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #216 of 12,086
  Hi all, I just joined headfi but l am a long-time audiophile.  I had a pair of Stax decades ago and currently have an ATH-M50x that I use with a digital grand piano but wanted to get something a bit better to get myself back into higher-end headfi.  

I had been looking at the Final Audio Pandora/Sonorous VI and the Hifiman HE560, but then became interested in the AQ Nighthawk (even with the controversial reviews, I love the research they put into the product).   And of course now this Fostex/Massdrop collab has really piqued my interest. 

So I think it's come down to either the NH or THX00 for me.  I like their price points (although I can also get very good pricing on the HE560) and if I want to move higher up the price chain later on, I'll make that move then.

I know that not many have heard the THX00 yet especially in a controlled environment - but if anyone has heard both of these, can you comments on the differences?   I did a search on this thread but didn't get any hits.  I listen to virtually all genres but mostly jazz and vocals.  

Thanks!

AudioQuest Nighthawk vs. Fostex-THX00

The Fostex is a bit brighter, the Nighthawk is a bit smoother. They have similar bass levels, but the Nighthawk has a little more mid-bass than the Fostex.

The Nighthawk is actually my preferred headphone over all my others for most Jazz, but the TH-X00 does it very well.

Soundstage on the Fostex is actually superior to my ears, as is the overall sense of clarity (thought it's hard to explain with the AudioQuest headphone--it actually has clarity without conveying the overt sense of clarity).

The Nighthawk is more comfortable unless you have particularly small ears. Even then, it's probably more comfortable. That said, the TH-X00 is not remotely uncomfortable. Even with the pads being too small for my large ears, they're relatively comfortable, but I swapped them out for some Audeze pads for now and I'll be experimenting with some high density foam and styrene to try to get the sound back to stock.

Another confusing comment: The Nighthawk sound signature is slightly... weirder? It's a little more unconventional of a sound that is intended to reproduce the sound of speakers. The Fostex has a more conventional tuning without any weirdness to its sound.

Both have bio-cellulose dynamic drivers, which I feel are about as smooth and distortion-free as dynamic drivers can get.

They're both great options. The Fostex has a bit more of an immediacy to the engagement you get with it, but the Nighthawk has a nice smooth presentation--particularly for jazz--that becomes addictive with prolonged listening.

Nov 26, 2015 at 11:18 AM Post #217 of 12,086
  Please could someone give me some advise hear. I have two pairs of headphones, Mr Speakers Mad Dog Pro and ZMF Vibro. I love them both but my dream headphone would be a combination of them. I love the bass and the fun factor of the Mad Dog Pro but everything else is better on the ZMF Vibro, Could the TH-X00 be the perfect headphone for me?

Ahhh, time is running out. I must decide..  Advice please!!!
confused_face.gif

Nov 26, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #218 of 12,086
I might purchase these headphones even if I already own the th-900 just for the simple fact that I'd like to experience the Fostex sound with less brightness and fatigue in the upper mids and treble.

Nov 26, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #220 of 12,086
Thanks for the detailed reply Luckbad.  

How would you say they compare in terms of midrange presence?  I don't like when vocals get buried in the mix unless that's the way it was recorded of course.  

Also both look to be of similar/high build quality?  

Cheers and Happy Thanksgiving!

Nov 26, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #222 of 12,086
Originally Posted by lazerharp '

Please could someone give me some advise hear. I have two pairs of headphones, Mr Speakers Mad Dog Pro and ZMF Vibro. I love them both but my dream headphone would be a combination of them. I love the bass and the fun factor of the Mad Dog Pro but everything else is better on the ZMF Vibro, Could the TH-X00 be the perfect headphone for me?

Ahhh, time is running out. I must decide..  Advice please!!!
confused_face.gif

Originally Posted by presata /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Haha, nice one
atsmile.gif

Nov 26, 2015 at 12:28 PM Post #225 of 12,086
  OK i just said yes on the MASSDROP. It says there are 2500 people requesting but only 2000 for sale so how does that work?

First come first serve till they are sold out. 

It may help to know that just because people put in a request doesn't mean they will be buying. Votes are just a measure of interest. Rarely do the votes equal the sales if ever. So don't look at it like its sold out. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back