Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Nov 26, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #241 of 12,086
  It's the same carrying pouch as the one in the TH600/ TH900. Not really for any protection. However, the material they use for it feels really nice to the touch.

Nuts, my TH600's didn't come with a pouch.

Nov 26, 2015 at 3:17 PM Post #244 of 12,086
Another reviewer said it has thunderous bass. I'll take his word. :popcorn:

The stock bass level is not thunderous, it's slightly emphasized.

With EQ or bass boost, they can get absolutely thunderous just like the other Fostex headphones.

Better to try and boost that than "fix" the treble. I know the bassheads have always loved the Fostexes for how well the low end responds to a boost.

Nov 26, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #248 of 12,086
Can anyone compare these (or the 600s) to akg k7xx? I use k7xx for movies a fair amount, but considering the upgrade to these.

Nov 26, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #249 of 12,086
  Can anyone compare these (or the 600s) to akg k7xx? I use k7xx for movies a fair amount, but considering the upgrade to these.

Solid overall upgrade in terms of sound. This sound signature works really well for movies as reviewers have mentioned. Only thing is, over long periods of wear (6-8 hours), the K7XX with velour pads will be more comfortable than anything with leather pads.

If you watch a movie or two at the time, TH-X00 is markedly better. If you're looking to watch three of four movies at a time, K7XX for sure.  

Nov 26, 2015 at 5:41 PM Post #250 of 12,086

The K7XX is positively wonderful for movies and gaming. Its sound signature is mostly neutral, with *a little* extra bass, which is a nice touch, and it's extremely comfortable. It's a totally different headphone from the Fostex, however.

Nov 26, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #251 of 12,086
I've been receiving questions about the Fostex TH-X00 vs. the JVC HP-DX1000 (and TH-600) and thought I'd repost a PM in here:

The Fostex TH-X00s are still burning in. They have about 20 hours of burn-in right now. My TH600 took >100 to settle down completely, although the changes were still relatively minor.

For me, I still prefer the way the DX1000 conveys acoustic instruments and strings. It has more stock bass, which is great for my tastes, and a bit of a cavernous effect with its larger wood cups and wood-mounted driver (which I like, but some people think is undesirable resonance).

That said, I think more people would prefer the TH-X00 overall to the HP-DX1000. I have specific tastes like emphasized bass and rolled off treble without dark mids that the DX1K does very well.

The TH-X00 is less bass-forward and more treble-forward comparatively, which is going to be to the tastes of most.

Interestingly, they sound almost the same as the TH-600 if you swap the pads out to HM5 or Audeze, both of which I used a lot with the TH-600. Basically, with some wood cups and TH-X00 pads, they might actually be the same headphone. That said, it would cost you ~$250 to convert the TH-600 to sound like these (assuming you can find the same pads, which you might not be able to).

If you want a complementary headphone to a TH-600, the DX1000 is more different, while the TH-X00 is about halfway between the two in sound signature.

Here's a super crude paint of roughly how I hear the three headphones in frequency response:

Nov 26, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #252 of 12,086

These earpads (just pulled them off) are definitely interesting. They have a fairly hard white foam ring covering everywhere but the ear opening. Swapping to the HM5 pads, the minor peaks shift to different spots (closer to what I heard in the TH600 from HM5 pads).

I think what he's getting at is that if you want this smoothed out frequency response and bigger pads, you'll want to look into putting something in there between them.

I swapped over to Audeze vegan pads and put the little hard liner thing in. Still less treble-peaky than the TH600, but slightly more than the new stock pads.

I wonder what this white stuff is made of in the pads. It's kinda halfway between styrofoam and plastic. Maybe a styrene sheet like this? http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=22883&catid=715

This could actually open up a pretty significant window into modding all headphones. One simple comment from the inestimable Will.

If I can find a fairly cheap and very thin sheet somewhere, I'll probably pick it up and experiment with various thicknesses stacked. Maybe I'll bug a local who is adept at frequency response measurements and see if we can get a bunch of measurements. No promises, and it would be weeks out if we're able to do it.

Edit: I should have some 0.02" high impact styrene on Tuesday.

This white foam, would someone be able to transfer it and place it behind another pad in an easy and reversible way if one wished to do some pad rolling? Can you take a picture of it? Thanks.

Nov 26, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #253 of 12,086
This white foam, would someone be able to transfer it and place it behind another pad in an easy and reversible way if one wished to do some pad rolling? Can you take a picture of it? Thanks.

Yep. I'll just be making discs in the same shape as stock and the same shape as the other pads. It's not here yet, but I'll snap pics after making the discs.

They'll go between the pads and the white plastic earpad ring so they'll be easily swappable.

Nov 26, 2015 at 7:32 PM Post #255 of 12,086
Yep. I'll just be making discs in the same shape as stock and the same shape as the other pads. It's not here yet, but I'll snap pics after making the discs.

They'll go between the pads and the white plastic earpad ring so they'll be easily swappable.

Sorry if my initial post was messy or unclear. I was mainly asking if the foam disc that followed with the stock pads is in transferable without ruining the disc or stock pads. But I that's not possible considering your response. Thanks a lot anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back