Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Nov 26, 2015 at 10:46 PM Post #277 of 12,086
Nov 26, 2015 at 11:07 PM Post #279 of 12,086

Get some high density foam sheets as well. That ring under the earpads is highly important to the sound signature. Maybe even a couple layers of shelf liner? I haven't experimented much with alternate materials, but before we got started on this project I spent a lot of time taking apart and putting back together some TH-600s and 900s. Try taking the cups off sometime, see if the sound changes dramatically, one would think that right?

Do we contact Fostex for replacement earpads for the TH-X00?

Nov 26, 2015 at 11:08 PM Post #280 of 12,086
How well do these or similar fostex headphones (600sor900s) respond to equalization?

Anyone know if the woo audio 6se amp I have will work well with these?

I am not a big fan of recessed mids. Anyone know if electric guitars will sound recessed on these?
Thanks
Mike

Nov 26, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #281 of 12,086
How well do these or similar fostex headphones (600sor900s) respond to equalization?

I am not a big fan of recessed mids. Anyone know if electric guitars will sound recessed on these?
Thanks
Mike

I felt the Fostex th900 has very recessed Mids so I am guessing these will have slightly recessed Mids. Just a guess

Nov 26, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #283 of 12,086

Thanks
Mike

Not based on my listening to the TH-X00 - the mids are fabulous and electric guitars do not sound recessed to me - especially when paired with the QP1R as a source.

Nov 27, 2015 at 12:10 AM Post #284 of 12,086
Had it been silver the wood color wouldn't pop.

you know as you say that I am now realizing why I love these new ones more than the D5000 seems like its exactly that, black!!

One thing I wanted to know though, these are exactly like the D5000 right? sound wise, with open back sound stage but being closed back.

And the hinge thingy that connects to the cups are they also magnesium alloy?

And what kind of AMP will I need for this? I have both a ASUS Xonar DG sound card in my PC its a $30 card with headphone amp I also have a ASUS motherboard with crystal sound 2. Lets say I needed to buy a better amp how would I go about using the DAC in the PC?

Do I leave it as speaker out? because enabling it as headphone out would be pointless I assume? and would make things worse since it would activate the head amp meaning the sound will be going through 2 amps?

Nov 27, 2015 at 12:12 AM Post #285 of 12,086
I wonder if anyone with a TH-600 or a TH-900 already will get this as well. I have a TH-600 and love its electrifying bass and sense of air. I want to see if anyone can tell me how much of a downgrade is the bass (both quantity and maybe quality) from the TH-600. I don't really care about the highs because I am not very sensitive to it, especially after some EQ, they really just help add the the sense of air and excitement for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back