Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Nov 27, 2015 at 12:14 AM Post #286 of 12,086
I wonder if anyone with a TH-600 or a TH-900 already will get this as well. I have a TH-600 and love its electrifying bass and sense of air. I want to see if anyone can tell me how much of a downgrade is the bass (both quantity and maybe quality) from the TH-600. I don't really care about the highs because I am not very sensitive to it, especially after some EQ, they really just help add the the sense of air and excitement for me.

You should! #FOMO :wink:

Nov 27, 2015 at 12:18 AM Post #287 of 12,086
  I wonder if anyone with a TH-600 or a TH-900 already will get this as well. I have a TH-600 and love its electrifying bass and sense of air. I want to see if anyone can tell me how much of a downgrade is the bass (both quantity and maybe quality) from the TH-600. I don't really care about the highs because I am not very sensitive to it, especially after some EQ, they really just help add the the sense of air and excitement for me.

I plan on grabbing a pair when they drop XD

Nov 27, 2015 at 12:20 AM Post #288 of 12,086
I am aware it was probably a joke, or tongue-in-cheek, but there is no real issue of missing out, since there will more than likely be a second drop (as the AKG K7XX has experienced multiple drops), but I enjoy the TH-X00 immensely, so I would say it's a good idea to be on the first drop for sure, in my opinion.

Nov 27, 2015 at 12:21 AM Post #289 of 12,086
On a serious note I have the TH900 and have no plans to get these, though I'll get to audition then soon enough. Mainly an issue with comfort for me as I can notice the edges of my ears touching the cup even for the TH900. Also I expect the TH900 to be more refined and technically superior since it's their flagship. As for a TH600 owner you gotta wonder how they compare?

Nov 27, 2015 at 12:31 AM Post #290 of 12,086
On a serious note I have the TH900 and have no plans to get these, though I'll get to audition then soon enough. Mainly an issue with comfort for me as I can notice the edges of my ears touching the cup even for the TH900. Also I expect the TH900 to be more refined and technically superior since it's their flagship. As for a TH600 owner you gotta wonder how they compare?

Both @project86 and @moedawg140 have gone into depth in their review about these comparisons.

"The treble has been smoothed/tamed from the TH-900"

Nov 27, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #291 of 12,086
The TH-X00 is spectacular because of their price to performance ratio, and are in a class of their own.  Some may even prefer the TH-X00 to the TH-900 especially because the taming of the TH-X00's treble compared to the TH-900.  That said, everyone's preferences will be different, though.  Earpad/earcup replacements are plentiful, so it will be supremely easy enough to dial in what is the best fit and sound for you.

The TH-900 is amazing in its own right, and I really like the look of their earcups.  Watching how they were made on YouTube is an amazing sight to see as well:

Nov 27, 2015 at 12:33 AM Post #292 of 12,086

Both @project86 and @moedawg140 have gone into depth in their review about these comparisons.

beerchug.gif
 - in agreement, from back to back listening to both the TH-900 and TH-X00.

Nov 27, 2015 at 12:37 AM Post #293 of 12,086

The main problem with this is that, I never had a problem with the treble. In fact, I love how the treble helped bring out the airiness and increase the sense of space and excitement.
However after reading all the great reviews I am also wondering if I could get this as a mid-centric HP to complement my TH-600.
Haha, just trying to spoil myself here.

Nov 27, 2015 at 12:42 AM Post #294 of 12,086
[COLOR=3B3B3B]Both @project86
[/COLOR] and @moedawg140
 have gone into depth in their review about these comparisons.

"[COLOR=3B3B3B]The treble has been smoothed/tamed from the TH-900"[/COLOR]

I don't have an issue with the treble on the TH900 personally so that's not an issue for me. I guess for those with treble sensitive ears the TH-X00 may be better for them. Still aside from treble and possibly less recessed mids, the TH900 have better technicalities and refinement as reviewers have mentioned. I recall also reading somewhere that the new pads helped toning down the treble issue a lot, perhaps using the new pads on the TH900 would give you best of both worlds? moedawg140 since you got both at your disposal, mind doing that experiment and sharing your findings?

Nov 27, 2015 at 12:45 AM Post #296 of 12,086
I don't have an issue with the treble on the TH900 personally so that's not an issue for me. I guess for those with treble sensitive ears the TH-X00 may be better for them. Still aside from treble and possibly less recessed mids, the TH900 have better technicalities and refinement as reviewers have mentioned. I recall also reading somewhere that the new pads helped toning down the treble issue a lot, perhaps using the new pads on the TH900 would give you best of both worlds? @moedawg140 since you got both at your disposal, mind doing that experiment and sharing your findings?

Once I am able to earpad roll, I'll add my thoughts to the review (both in the 4th post and "main" review).  I more than likely won't be able to do that until I travel to Singapore in a few months, though. 
beerchug.gif

Nov 27, 2015 at 12:50 AM Post #297 of 12,086
  @moedawg and @project86, may I ask how recessed is the midrange (vocals) in comparison to the trebles?

thank you in advance

I am not sure what Mr. Grandberg will state, especially since his sources are not the same as mine, but I would say the vocals are not recessed - they shine, are front and center, and the treble has more of an aural and smooth-sounding experience.  Hope this helps.

Nov 27, 2015 at 12:57 AM Post #298 of 12,086

I hope you didn't throw it away by accident... At timestamp @ 1:52. It's the bag that's wrapped with the cable.

Weird. My cable was wrapped in in foam. Other reviews do not mention the bag. Maybe they changed things?

Nov 27, 2015 at 12:58 AM Post #299 of 12,086

I am not sure what Mr. Grandberg will state, especially since his sources are not the same as mine, but I would say the vocals are not recessed - they shine, are front and center, and the treble has more of an aural and smooth-sounding experience.  Hope this helps.

May I ask one more thing? How v-shaped or u-shaped is th-x00 in comparison to other headphones not named Denon and Fostex? (Any other headphones you owned or heard is fine, but I've never heard Denon or Fostex so I have no frame of reference in that context).

Nov 27, 2015 at 1:02 AM Post #300 of 12,086

May I ask one more thing? How v-shaped or u-shaped is th-x00 in comparison to other headphones not named Denon and Fostex? (Any other headphones you owned or heard is fine, but I've never heard Denon or Fostex so I have no frame of reference in that context).

Which headphones have you heard?  If I've listened to any of the ones you mention, it may be easier for me to closer identify frequency differences relative to the headphones you have listened to, not named Denon and Fostex.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back