Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Nov 26, 2015 at 1:30 AM Post #196 of 12,086
  TH-X00 vs.

1. Beyerdynamic DT-770/880/990: Less treble for sure. Beyond that, I haven't heard any of those for a couple years.
  2. Fidelio, Grado: No idea because I've heard but never owned them.

The clarity and soundstage are quite good for a closed can. 

The frequency response is kinda like if you pushed down treble above 5kHz and bass below ~300-400Hz by 4-6dB.

There's still color and character to the headphone and you can tell they're made by Foster Electronics for sure, they're just less colored than the predecessors.

Bass is impactful and extended, but not as impactful as the TH600/TH900 with the default sound signature. Treble has air, but not glare. The low mid suckout is not nearly as pronounced, and mids in general are more forward since the bass and treble are less prominent.

The pads are not the same as TH600/TH900 pads, and unfortuantely I don't have any of those on hand to try out. For most people, they'll be big enough. My ears are tall and they don't fit inside.

HM5 pads will fit nicely, as with Lawton and Alpha pads. Audeze pads are slightly big but do fit as well.

Compared to the JVC HP-DX1000, I'm not yet prepared to say I prefer the Fostex TH-X00. I'll have to burn them in and and listen quite a bit more to be sure.

I do prefer them to the TH600.

You might wonder why, given that I'm a basshead.

The reason is that I like the entire frequency response stock, and the reduced treble is huge for me because I'm sensitive to treble.

Since I am indeed a basshead, I use EQ and/or hardware bass boost when I want extra bass with all of my headphones. The TH-X00 has the same bass potential as its brethren despite having reduced stock bass.

Because of that and the beauty of the cups, this is my favorite Foster-made headphone I've ever heard.

If this sounds near the JVC HP-DX1000's then I'm hooked. I heard those and they were amazing.

Nov 26, 2015 at 2:12 AM Post #199 of 12,086
Wifey approved so I'll be in on the buy. I keep checking to see when its launching.

It's posts like this that makes me glad I'm not married. 
smile.gif

Nov 26, 2015 at 2:39 AM Post #202 of 12,086

If this sounds near the JVC HP-DX1000's then I'm hooked. I heard those and they were amazing.

It's similar overall in signature. Right now, I prefer the DX1K, but I'll see after burn-in. I have the TH-X00 burning in now.

Hopefully X00 is less powerful in the bottom end and a little more sparkle on top?

Nov 26, 2015 at 3:03 AM Post #203 of 12,086
Please could someone give me some advise hear. I have two pairs of headphones, Mr Speakers Mad Dog Pro and ZMF Vibro. I love them both but my dream headphone would be a combination of them. I love the bass and the fun factor of the Mad Dog Pro but everything else is better on the ZMF Vibro, Could the TH-X00 be the perfect headphone for me?

Nov 26, 2015 at 3:05 AM Post #204 of 12,086
Nice
Please could someone give me some advise hear. I have two pairs of headphones, Mr Speakers Mad Dog Pro and ZMF Vibro. I love them both but my dream headphone would be a combination of them. I love the bass and the fun factor of the Mad Dog Pro but everything else is better on the ZMF Vibro, Could the TH-X00 be the perfect headphone for me?

Nov 26, 2015 at 6:50 AM Post #207 of 12,086
My review is posted here (4th post of this thread): http://www.head-fi.org/t/788776/fostex-x-massdrop-th-x00-review#post_12102875.

I adore the TH-X00 and I hope that as many people are able to listen to it as possible.

Nov 26, 2015 at 7:34 AM Post #208 of 12,086

It's similar overall in signature. Right now, I prefer the DX1K, but I'll see after burn-in. I have the TH-X00 burning in now.

If the Fostex actually had the isolation and leakage control as the JVCs, they would be THE PERFECT closed backs!!!! (Still searching for that unicorn as it seems that even the ether closed back are not it...)

Nov 26, 2015 at 7:43 AM Post #209 of 12,086
I'm worried that my mjo2 will be too warm for the th-x00 and possibly cause smoke and later flames to come from this efficient hp. So, I'm considering a lower powered neutral amp to make a better pairing. I'm thinking Asgard 2 or Valhalla 2...thoughts?

Nov 26, 2015 at 8:21 AM Post #210 of 12,086
  I'm worried that my mjo2 will be too warm for the th-x00 and possibly cause smoke and later flames to come from this efficient hp. So, I'm considering a lower powered neutral amp to make a better pairing. I'm thinking Asgard 2 or Valhalla 2...thoughts?

I'm going to use this with Chord Mojo. Couldn't resist, I'm going to buy these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back