Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Nov 21, 2017 at 10:08 AM Post #10,951 of 12,086
Did the earlier version of TH-X00 (especially the Purpleheart) have some problem which were fixed in the later batches?

Yes. The Purpleheart (early batches) had a problem where they were being wrapped in bubble wrap before the wood had properly cured. When owners received them, there were a large quantity of them that had faint bubble marks in the wood lacquer. To my knowledge, they rectified this issue with the later batches. A friend of mine owns the older purpleheart with this problem, but it's not very visible unless you really look for the marks.

Nov 21, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #10,953 of 12,086
Did the earlier version of TH-X00 (especially the Purpleheart) have some problem which were fixed in the later batches?

Yes. The Purpleheart (early batches) had a problem where they were being wrapped in bubble wrap before the wood had properly cured. When owners received them, there were a large quantity of them that had faint bubble marks in the wood lacquer. To my knowledge, they rectified this issue with the later batches. A friend of mine owns the older purpleheart with this problem, but it's not very visible unless you really look for the marks.

It was the imperfection of the finish as bubblewrap marks were on the cups, luckily mine didn't have any. ooops too late :)

^^this^^

Mine came with bubble wrap marks, but so extremely faint that they're (barely) visible at just the right angle of light. I didn't worry about it.

Some purchasers experimented using car polish on them with some success I think, and I also seem to remember Massdrop sending out free polishing kits for those that requested them. Again, I didn't bother.

Nov 21, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #10,954 of 12,086
^^this^^

Mine came with bubble wrap marks, but so extremely faint that they're (barely) visible at just the right angle of light. I didn't worry about it.

Some purchasers experimented using car polish on them with some success I think, and I also seem to remember Massdrop sending out free polishing kits for those that requested them. Again, I didn't bother.

I requested the Fostex polishing kit for mine when the email was sent by Massdrop and it worked well to totally get rid of the bubble wrap marks... came with a very nice Fostex cleaning cloth I keep in the carry case with the PHs.

Nov 21, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #10,957 of 12,086
Finally got mine.
Stock earpads are quite comfortable for me. My ears fits in perfectly.
Stock cable seems quite good (I don't know whether someone did recabling or not) although I'm gonna change 6.3 to 3.5 plug.
Sound is amazing.

Still thinking of changing the cable to silver plated

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2017 at 8:58 PM Post #10,958 of 12,086
Just thought I'd post here in case anyone is in the same position I was a couple of weeks ago. I finally narrowed down my search to either a Sony MDR-Z7 or Fostex TH-X00 mahogany (a "fun" sound signature around the $300 price range). However, there was not a ton of information comparing the two of them, especially because the MDR-Z7 was selling at $700 when released.

I just want to start off by saying both of these headphones are fantastic, and I would be happy with either one. However, after having owned both, I can say that I prefer the TH-X00 MH :) I prefer a slight U shaped sound signature where the mids are not recessed. This brief comparison will be between a stock Fostex TH-X00 mahogany and stock Sony MDR-Z7.

Comfort and build quality go to the MDR-Z7 hands down. The materials used are premium, the sliding mechanism is top notch, and the detachable cable is very practical. Furthermore, the headband is more plush while the earpads are softer, bigger, and deeper (I actually got the TH-X00 for a great price because it didn't fit the ears of the first owner). I think that the build quality is the reason why Sony was able to sell so many for their hefty initial asking price.

If you're a sucker for wood cups like me, then you're still going to think the TH-X00 is the more attractive headphone, despite the build quality being lesser (I'm looking at you single screw swivel joints).

Now the sound is where it gets interesting. If I had to sum it up into a couple of adjectives, the Sony MDR-Z7 would be smooth and romantic, while the TH-X00 is dynamic and engaging.

Bass:
The bass is presented very differently between these two headphones. The MDR-Z7 has the illusion of reaching deeper because the bass is boomy. If you've ever sat in the back of a car sporting dual subwoofers, you'll know what I mean. There are genres of music I prefer this type of bass (trap and hiphop to name a few), where the lingering bass really envelopes you into the music. Although I'm sure the TH-X00 can reach just as deep, it focuses more a mid bass punch versus the boomy (and often unwanted echoing) bass of the MDR-Z7. And even though the TH-X00's bass punches hard (coming from an HE-400s, I was blown away), it is still fast enough to enjoy with softer genres like jazz and acoustic music. So in short, the TH-X00 is punchier and the better all rounder, but if you're a basshead that loves that bass with long decay, the MDR-Z7 will probably take the cake here.

Mids:
Because of the MDR-Z7s booming bass, it does spill into the mids and swallow up some of the details in the mid. Moreover, the mids are tuned in such a way that you feel like you're sitting in the first or second row of a performance instead of being on stage with the musicians. I won't lie, the TH-X00's boosted bass also makes it way over into the mids as well, but because it is a faster bass, it is not as distracting. Additionally, the mids are tuned to be more in your face, and creates the effect of you being up on stage with the musicians. Personally, this is where the TH-X00 starts to pull ahead for me; it just sounds engaging.

Treble:
If the TH-X00 started pulling ahead for me in the mids, the treble is really where it starts create some distance. In short, the MDR-Z7's treble is flat. I'm talking Florida flat. I've heard lots of headphones since I've wandered here onto head-fi, and of those I've heard, the MDR-Z7 is the epitome of an "L shaped" sound signature. Go ahead and crank these bad boys up, the bass will rupture your ear drums before the treble will give you a headache, that's a Tim Le Guarantee. Now I would've kept the MDR-Z7 because they were so comfortable, but I just love hearing intricate cymbal patterns, and the MDR-Z7s just couldn't convey those patterns. Compared to the MDR-Z7, the TH-X00's treble is wonderful. The treble is nice and crisp, and you can hear all the detail you'll ever want. Also, because of the bump in treble, the TH-X00 conveys female vocals with better accuracy than the MDR-Z7. I love the TH-X00's treble, but I should warn you that my favorite headphones are Grados, and that I barely found the DT990 siblant. If you're sensitive to treble and like playing your music loud, the MDR-Z7 are for you. If you like hearing sixteenth note paradiddles on your hi-hats, there's no contest.

Sound stage/Resolution?:
I put a question mark here because I've only recently started to analyze music and my gear, so I don't feel that I'm qualified to comment here. Regardless, I will give a rather crude impression between the two. Because the TH-X00 has the greater treble, it creates a sense of air around instruments, which makes it easier to pick them apart in the back ground (both in terms of width and depth). The MDR-Z7's is no slouch either, but due to lacking treble extension and detail, I find that I can really only pick apart instruments on the X axis. Now don't get too hopeful, the sound stage and resolution still won't match the likes of the HD800 or AKG K712.

Conclusion:
This is the first comparison I've written on head-fi, so I realize that a lot of my thoughts are jumbled up. I give you a tl;dr:

Sony MDR-Z7- Laid back sound (very similar to LCD-2), boomy bass with subwoofer like decay, recessed mids, smooth (but recessed) treble. These are the perfect headphones for those looking for something "fun" but not siblant. If you'd rather not have your snare drums sounding like whip cracks, and want to listen to hours of fatigue free music, the MDR-Z7 is for you. The comfort and smooth treble will make you a happy camper.

Fostex TH-X00: Engaging sound signature, punchy bass, more forward mids, slight treble boost. Beware of shallow cups, a fragile spinning mechanism, and lack of removable cable. However, these are the headphones you put on when you want those violins to sing and cymbals to shimmer. If I had to compare these to another headphone, they're like a closed back grado with bass boost on; that is an expression of endearment.

Wow, I guess time flies when you're writing comparisons :wink: This is the longest post I've written here on head-fi, and being my first comparison, I'm sure a lot of my thoughts may have got lost in translation. If you have any other questions, ask away! I hope this helps those of you who are looking for a closed back headphone and are on the fence between these two wonderful headphones.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2017 at 9:17 PM Post #10,959 of 12,086
Just thought I'd post here in case anyone is in the same position I was a couple of weeks ago. I finally narrowed down my search to either a Sony MDR-Z7 or Fostex TH-X00 mahogany (a "fun" sound signature around the $300 price range). However, there was not a ton of information comparing the two of them, especially because the MDR-Z7 was selling at $700 when released.

I just want to start off by saying both of these headphones are fantastic, and I would be happy with either one. However, after having owned both, I can say that I prefer the TH-X00 MH :) I prefer a slight U shaped sound signature where the mids are not recessed. This brief comparison will be between a stock Fostex TH-X00 mahogany and stock Sony MDR-Z7.

Comfort and build quality go to the MDR-Z7 hands down. The materials used are premium, the sliding mechanism is top notch, and the detachable cable is very practical. Furthermore, the headband is more plush while the earpads are softer, bigger, and deeper (I actually got the TH-X00 for a great price because it didn't fit the ears of the first owner). I think that the build quality is the reason why Sony was able to sell so many for their hefty initial asking price.

If you're a sucker for wood cups like me, then you're still going to think the TH-X00 is the more attractive headphone, despite the build quality being lesser (I'm looking at you single screw swivel joints).

Now the sound is where it gets interesting. If I had to sum it up into a couple of adjectives, the Sony MDR-Z7 would be smooth and romantic, while the TH-X00 is dynamic and engaging.

Bass:
The bass is presented very differently between these two headphones. The MDR-Z7 has the illusion of reaching deeper because the bass is boomy. If you've ever sat in the back of a car sporting dual subwoofers, you'll know what I mean. There are genres of music I prefer this type of bass (trap and hiphop to name a few), where the lingering bass really envelopes you into the music. Although I'm sure the TH-X00 can reach just as deep, it focuses more a mid bass punch versus the boomy (and often unwanted echoing) bass of the MDR-Z7. And even though the TH-X00's bass punches hard (coming from an HE-400s, I was blown away), it is still fast enough to enjoy with softer genres like jazz and acoustic music. So in short, the TH-X00 is punchier and the better all rounder, but if you're a basshead that loves that bass with long decay, the MDR-Z7 will probably take the cake here.

Mids:
Because of the MDR-Z7s booming bass, it does spill into the mids and swallow up some of the details in the mid. Moreover, the mids are tuned in such a way that you feel like you're sitting in the first or second row of a performance instead of being on stage with the musicians. I won't lie, the TH-X00's boosted bass also makes it way over into the mids as well, but because it is a faster bass, it is not as distracting. Additionally, the mids are tuned to be more in your face, and creates the effect of you being up on stage with the musicians. Personally, this is where the TH-X00 starts to pull ahead for me; it just sounds engaging.

Treble:
If the TH-X00 started pulling ahead for me in the mids, the treble is really where it starts create some distance. In short, the MDR-Z7's treble is flat. I'm talking Florida flat. I've heard lots of headphones since I've wandered here onto head-fi, and of those I've heard, the MDR-Z7 is the epitome of an "L shaped" sound signature. Go ahead and crank these bad boys up, the bass will rupture your ear drums before the treble will give you a headache, that's a Tim Le Guarantee. Now I would've kept the MDR-Z7 because they were so comfortable, but I just love hearing intricate cymbal patterns, and the MDR-Z7s just couldn't convey those patterns. Compared to the MDR-Z7, the TH-X00's treble is wonderful. The treble is nice and crisp, and you can hear all the detail you'll ever want. Also, because of the bump in treble, the TH-X00 conveys female vocals with better accuracy than the MDR-Z7. I love the TH-X00's treble, but I should warn you that my favorite headphones are Grados, and that I barely found the DT990 siblant. If you're sensitive to treble and like playing your music loud, the MDR-Z7 are for you. If you like hearing sixteenth note paradiddles on your hi-hats, there's no contest.

Sound stage/Resolution?:
I put a question mark here because I've only recently started to analyze music and my gear, so I don't feel that I'm qualified to comment here. Regardless, I will give a rather crude impression between the two. Because the TH-X00 has the greater treble, it creates a sense of air around instruments, which makes it easier to pick them apart in the back ground (both in terms of width and depth). The MDR-Z7's is no slouch either, but due to lacking treble extension and detail, I find that I can really only pick apart instruments on the X axis. Now don't get too hopeful, the sound stage and resolution still won't match the likes of the HD800 or AKG K712.

Conclusion:
This is the first comparison I've written on head-fi, so I realize that a lot of my thoughts are jumbled up. I give you a tl;dr:

Sony MDR-Z7- Laid back sound (very similar to LCD-2), boomy bass with subwoofer like decay, recessed mids, smooth (but recessed) treble. These are the perfect headphones for those looking for something "fun" but not siblant. If you'd rather not have your snare drums sounding like whip cracks, and want to listen to hours of fatigue free music, the MDR-Z7 is for you. The comfort and smooth treble will make you a happy camper.

Fostex TH-X00: Engaging sound signature, punchy bass, more forward mids, slight treble boost. Beware of shallow cups, a fragile spinning mechanism, and lack of removable cable. However, these are the headphones you put on when you want those violins to sing and cymbals to shimmer. If I had to compare these to another headphone, they're like a closed back grado with bass boost on; that is an expression of endearment.

Wow, I guess time flies when you're writing comparisons :wink: This is the longest post I've written here on head-fi, and being my first comparison, I'm sure a lot of my thoughts may have got lost in translation. If you have any other questions, ask away! I hope this helps those of you who are looking for a closed back headphone and are on the fence between these two wonderful headphones.

I own them both, will be keeping both and absolutely love them both for all the exact reasons you mentioned above. It's almost impossible to compare these 2 HP's as they are so dramatically different. I truly don't love one over the other, but love them both for what they are. The only thing I believe they have in common is they're both closed back. Sony went after their own sound signature and are so different from anything else I've heard before. I also don't think Sony minds one bit they have captured their own unique sound where so many other HP's sound so similar to one another from my brief experiences in this hobby. But I've listened to quite a few different headphones in a short amount of time. Granted, I need more head-time with the many I've listened to so maybe that's not a fair statement. As you stated, it just depends on what you're going after..... grab someone's head and slam it into the ground.....or? "go ahead, let me get that door for you please"
Anyway....Not much to add other then I'll never and mean never get rid of either because they both serve their purpose that I find so engaging in their own unique way.
Nice review man!

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2017 at 4:30 AM Post #10,962 of 12,086
Grados are known for it's forward mids and bright treble. My ebony couldn't sound me different. They are silky smooth and thick with no treble harshness and minimal sibilant. I just wish the mids were a tad more forwards

Nov 22, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #10,963 of 12,086
Grados are known for it's forward mids and bright treble. My ebony couldn't sound me different. They are silky smooth and thick with no treble harshness and minimal sibilant. I just wish the mids were a tad more forwards
Get the Dekoni TH-X00 Sheepskin pads. They do exactly that, bringing the mids more forward.

Nov 22, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #10,964 of 12,086
If you want to increase the sound quality, install driver housing dampening from the Lawton Audio Tune-up kit (but not the cup dampening pieces). It will give more detail, clarity, slightly more forward mids, and noticeable increase in instrument separation. Bass is also better extended with more detail and speed/precision. Stock is a little dull and sloppy sounding in comparison.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #10,965 of 12,086
The warmer Fosters (ie. the Ebony TH-X00 and the EMU Teak) beat all the other similar design Fostex / Denon in having the least recessed (still a bit recessed) middle mids (ie. 500 hz to 2 kHz), while keeping great sub bass extension, with a slightly softer high end (that I could still prefer down 1-2 db on bright recordings). The Teak is mainly peaking around 10 kHz and slightly above, the peak in the treble for the Ebony is a bit lower, and its sub bass extends just a bit lower. Their sounding near semi open really helps spaciousness and while the pads aren't perfect, they work for my ears too. Still waiting for ZMF to finish the project, of making pads just for this Foster series / family that at last can give better fit and comfort while retaining 100% of the benefits of stock pads in sound with or without the extra thing in back for the sound.

I have the EMU Teak and the Sony MDR-Z7, w/ custom solid core copper cable and modifications (internal wire changed to Evidence Audio thick solid core copper and surgical tape covering reflective points to tame some boominess, and reduce the ringing resonance between 900 hz and 2 kHz). They compliment each other, as those excel when the Teak is a bit too bright. The MDR-Z7 massive drivers have spatiality like few closed cans, even beating the Teak, while being better isolating than them. This despite their having ample venting to enhance the bass. The mids and low mids have so much of an up front quality all highlighted by the warm but detailed treble. There is a bit more high mid and of course treble in the Teak when I want that. The Meze 99 Neo actually fills a spot somewhere between their sound signatures to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back